What knife do you carry?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Re: What knife do you carry?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

montgomery wrote:A more interesting question is how do you train to defend yourself with the edge weapon you EDC?
A valid point, which I am too old, sore, fat, and out of shape to contemplate. My back and bunions hurt. :lol: If attacked, I’m just going to have to shoot them and be done with it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

montgomery wrote:A more interesting question is how do you train to defend yourself with the edge weapon you EDC?
https://www.amazon.com/AK-Boot-Training ... ning+knife

Something like this is good. Pocket it or place it in your belt approximately where you keep your knife and practice drawing it and defending with it
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

BBYC,

Yes, I could look up the footwear you mentioned. I just haven't...

I've never felt comfortable in wimpy footwear (I like Sundowner boots) I couldn't defend myself with.

Wimpy foot wear has never been a choice for me, but yes, at times I had to wear it to fit in.

Having grown up in extreme poverty, I would never wear footwear that couldn't save my bacon if need be...

Does that sound paranoid?

Of course it does.

Ever been in a situation where you wish you didn't have fashionable, but sturdy footwear? Oh, I must mention, there were many years of field work to achieve suit and tie worthiness.

For years, suits and ties for me and always wishing my clothing didn't dictate my bank account.

Let's see: Being wealthy or being tough...having experienced extraordinary poverty and it attendant joys, like being considered lesser as a human being as an every day experience, I gambled with being wealthy. It paid off.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

BBYC wrote:
Also a different question. A lot like your favorite pair of shoes is different question from how to use your shoes and feet for self defense.

I'm carrying a Kershaw Leek now. Also, I'm wearing Aldo sneakers. :mrgreen:
My intent was to be thought provoking: we are taking about what knife we carry. Presumably, most on this forum carry knives so they have an edge weapon. If we can agree that at least some self-defense minded people here carry knives for that purpose, I am willing to wager that for every hour these folks spend training and practicing with their firearm at a range, they spend zero time training and practicing with edge weapons - I find that interesting. I find the Aldo sneaker reference to be a different kind of interesting.

:smilelol5:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I carry one of several folding knives every day. I also sometimes carry a small (~2.25" blade) belt knife in a horizontal sheath near mid0line up front. The draw stroke is toward the mid-line with either hand. For strong hand it comes out with the blade forward (down on the belt) at the heel of the hand. For weak hand it is a typical knife grip. The idea is to be able to produce the knife if your arms are essentially pinned and use it immediately to help get out of the pin, do damage to the attacker and, if possible, then make distance. We work these skills periodically at the training academy I attend.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

LucasMcCain wrote:I carry a Benchmade 943 most of the time. If BM is out of your price range, Kershaw makes great knives which can be had for very reasonable prices.

Since there seem to be a lot of Benchmade fans here, have y'all seen the new Crooked River Mini that's supposed to come out soon? I really like the regular Crooked River, but it's just a little too big for my tastes, with all the other stuff I carry in my pockets. The mini sounds like it would be perfect, though. Thoughts?

I have not seen that one yet, but will check it out for sure.

BTW

If you are looking at good blade from BM that is smallish in size, relatively speaking, check out that little BM Volli I have in the pic I posted. Very light. Great steel. Deploys fast.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

montgomery wrote:
BBYC wrote:
Also a different question. A lot like your favorite pair of shoes is different question from how to use your shoes and feet for self defense.

I'm carrying a Kershaw Leek now. Also, I'm wearing Aldo sneakers. :mrgreen:
My intent was to be thought provoking: we are taking about what knife we carry. Presumably, most on this forum carry knives so they have an edge weapon. If we can agree that at least some self-defense minded people here carry knives for that purpose, I am willing to wager that for every hour these folks spend training and practicing with their firearm at a range, they spend zero time training and practicing with edge weapons - I find that interesting. I find the Aldo sneaker reference to be a different kind of interesting.

:smilelol5:
If I have to ever use my blade for self defense, it is go primal time. Nothing tactical or mystical about it at all. Just try and stab/slash my way out of pickle.
I’m not ninja :smilelol5:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TAM,

Benchmade 570 Presidio II Is a fine knife. I’ve looked for one coated black for a bit, as soon as I find one here locally, I’ll probably end up getting it. Yes, it’s that bad...

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Richbirdhunter »

SpyderCo with an Emerson opener
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

The Annoyed Man

parabelum wrote:TAM,

Benchmade 570 Presidio II Is a fine knife. I’ve looked for one coated black for a bit, as soon as I find one here locally, I’ll probably end up getting it. Yes, it’s that bad...
I found mine on eBay, and got a great price on it because it is used - although you can’t tell. It looks brand new. It’s a “first production” knife, #514 of 1,000. It has the uncoated blade. I realize that the coated blades have some advantages for stealth, etc., but I also have seen blade coatings get scuffed up over time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I occasionally slip a Cold Steel Rajah II into my pocket :)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
A valid point, which I am too old, sore, fat, and out of shape to contemplate. My back and bunions hurt. :lol: If attacked, I’m just going to have to shoot them and be done with it.
As the Private said to the Drill Sergeant during bayonet training, "If there are any bullets left, there won't be none o' this bayonet <stuff>."
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

oljames3 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
As the Private said to the Drill Sergeant during bayonet training, "If there are any bullets left, there won't be none o' this bayonet <stuff>."
Exactly that.

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

I always felt a little silly doing bayonet practice. It seemed like something done as a leftover from pre-WW1 days and earlier, when officers wore feathers in their caps and dressed rather gaudy and gayly.

Not all that long ago, I read an article stating the bayonets were not responsible for much death and destruction during battles.

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:I always felt a little silly doing bayonet practice. It seemed like something done as a leftover from pre-WW1 days and earlier, when officers wore feathers in their caps and dressed rather gaudy and gayly.

Not all that long ago, I read an article stating the bayonets were not responsible for much death and destruction during battles.
You’re probably right. I remember a scene in Band of Brothers when one of the paratroopers of the 506th bayoneted one of the guys in his own company during their first days in Normandy because the other guy surprised him at night. I’ll bet that a fair number of bayonet wounds were either unintentionally self-inflicted, or incidents of “friendly shanking”. But I think I remember a scene in “We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young” when Col Hal Moore tells his troopers to fix bayonets at the Battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam.

I imagine that is NOT an order you ever want to hear.......

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”