A little history lesson

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
lonestar144

A little history lesson

Postby lonestar144 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 pm

As you know, the Democrats and other Democratic affiliated organizations are removing Confederate monuments and related objects. Here's a little background on some of the people of the Confederation , that are monuments, that the Democrats are removing. This was found in about 20 minutes of searching.

Robert E. Lee - Democrat

John C. Breckinridge - Democrat

Jefferson Davis - President of the Confederate State - Democrat

John Hunt Morgan - Confederate General - Democrat

Roger Brooke Taney - fifth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court - Democrat

Albert Sidney Johnston - Political alliance undetermined

John Henninger Reagan - Democrat resigned from the U.S. House of Representatives

J. E. B. Stuart - Democrat

Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson - Political alliance undetermined

Ku Klux Klan - Democratic organization formed to overthrow the Republican State Governments

Seems to me, that the Democrats are trying to erase "Their" history, making them seem like the "Good Guys" that will save the US from the ones that want to protect the Constitution and our freedom.

The cause of the US civil War.

"The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states. When Abraham Lincoln won election in 1860 as the first Republican president on a platform pledging to keep slavery out of the territories, seven slave states in the deep South seceded and formed a new nation, the Confederate States of America. The incoming Lincoln administration and most of the Northern people refused to recognize the legitimacy of secession. They feared that it would discredit democracy and create a fatal precedent that would eventually fragment the no-longer United States into several small, squabbling countries."
Last edited by lonestar144 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlBill

Re: A little history lesson

Postby OlBill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm sorry, but the Democrat party of then is not the same as today. Same for the Republican party.

Racism is regional, not political.

OlBill

Postby OlBill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

For an excellent treatise of how we developed as a nation, I highly recommend American Nations by Colin Woodard.

JakeTheSnake

Postby JakeTheSnake » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm

The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.

OlBill

Postby OlBill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 pm

JakeTheSnake wrote:The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.

Hmmmm, not quite that simple, but generally speaking correct. I wouldn't say it would hold true across the board.

I should have said slavery was regional, not political.

treadlightly

Postby treadlightly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:59 pm

OlBill wrote:I'm sorry, but the Democrat party of then is not the same as today. Same for the Republican party.

Racism is regional, not political.

Well, I can see the broad brush, but I think the real regions where racism sometimes take root are the heart and the mind.

treadlightly

Postby treadlightly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:00 pm

OlBill wrote:I should have said slavery was regional, not political.

I hit "submit" too quickly!

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm

JakeTheSnake wrote:The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.

Or a Whig. The republican party formed in the wake of the Whig party's self-immolation.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

OlBill

Postby OlBill » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

treadlightly wrote:
OlBill wrote:I should have said slavery was regional, not political.

I hit "submit" too quickly!

No sir, point taken. American Nations explains it far better than I ever could.

bmwrdr

Postby bmwrdr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I'd like to know what their plan is when thei are done eliminating the monuments!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

sbrawley

Postby sbrawley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

bmwrdr wrote:I'd like to know what their plan is when thei are done eliminating the monuments!

Rewrite the history books?
When government takes away citizens' right to bear arms, it becomes citizens' duty to take away government's right to govern
Unknown
2015 NRA Lifetime Member

bmwrdr

Postby bmwrdr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 am

sbrawley wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I'd like to know what their plan is when thei are done eliminating the monuments!

Rewrite the history books?

That would bring up a question for the version of history one wants to study

:biggrinjester:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

pbwalker

Postby pbwalker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Or a Whig. The republican party formed in the wake of the Whig party's self-immolation.

I wonder what they'll form themselves in to now...
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

pbwalker wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Hard to say, but it’s worth noting that for what I believe is the first time in our history, the number of registered independents nationally almost outnumbers registered democrats and republicans combined. It used to be that the two main parties aimed their advertising at independents, because that was where they could pick up votes. They could count on their party members to vote the party line, so they spent their money on convincing the unaffiliated for why they should vote for one or the other major parties. I don’t know if this would actually work out or not, but it seems like there are so many independent voters, that independent politicians could run in larger numbers and begin to capture more seats in Congress. Then they could caucus with whomever they most closely comfortable ideologically, OR........even caucus together as independents, owing nothing to either major party.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

OldCurlyWolf

Postby OldCurlyWolf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:40 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Hard to say, but it’s worth noting that for what I believe is the first time in our history, the number of registered independents nationally almost outnumbers registered democrats and republicans combined. It used to be that the two main parties aimed their advertising at independents, because that was where they could pick up votes. They could count on their party members to vote the party line, so they spent their money on convincing the unaffiliated for why they should vote for one or the other major parties. I don’t know if this would actually work out or not, but it seems like there are so many independent voters, that independent politicians could run in larger numbers and begin to capture more seats in Congress. Then they could caucus with whomever they most closely comfortable ideologically, OR........even caucus together as independents, owing nothing to either major party.

:iagree: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Off-Topic”