A little history lesson

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OlBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: A little history lesson

Post by OlBill »

I'm sorry, but the Democrat party of then is not the same as today. Same for the Republican party.

Racism is regional, not political.

Topic author
OlBill

Post by OlBill »

For an excellent treatise of how we developed as a nation, I highly recommend American Nations by Colin Woodard.

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JakeTheSnake »

The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.

Topic author
OlBill

Post by OlBill »

JakeTheSnake wrote:The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.
Hmmmm, not quite that simple, but generally speaking correct. I wouldn't say it would hold true across the board.

I should have said slavery was regional, not political.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

OlBill wrote:I'm sorry, but the Democrat party of then is not the same as today. Same for the Republican party.

Racism is regional, not political.
Well, I can see the broad brush, but I think the real regions where racism sometimes take root are the heart and the mind.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

OlBill wrote:I should have said slavery was regional, not political.
I hit "submit" too quickly!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JakeTheSnake wrote:The political parties switched. If you are a republican now, in 1860 you would be a democrat.
Or a Whig. The republican party formed in the wake of the Whig party's self-immolation.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
OlBill

Post by OlBill »

treadlightly wrote:
OlBill wrote:I should have said slavery was regional, not political.
I hit "submit" too quickly!
No sir, point taken. American Nations explains it far better than I ever could.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I'd like to know what their plan is when thei are done eliminating the monuments!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

sbrawley wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I'd like to know what their plan is when thei are done eliminating the monuments!
Rewrite the history books?
That would bring up a question for the version of history one wants to study

:biggrinjester:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Or a Whig. The republican party formed in the wake of the Whig party's self-immolation.
I wonder what they'll form themselves in to now...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

pbwalker wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Hard to say, but it’s worth noting that for what I believe is the first time in our history, the number of registered independents nationally almost outnumbers registered democrats and republicans combined. It used to be that the two main parties aimed their advertising at independents, because that was where they could pick up votes. They could count on their party members to vote the party line, so they spent their money on convincing the unaffiliated for why they should vote for one or the other major parties. I don’t know if this would actually work out or not, but it seems like there are so many independent voters, that independent politicians could run in larger numbers and begin to capture more seats in Congress. Then they could caucus with whomever they most closely comfortable ideologically, OR........even caucus together as independents, owing nothing to either major party.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Hard to say, but it’s worth noting that for what I believe is the first time in our history, the number of registered independents nationally almost outnumbers registered democrats and republicans combined. It used to be that the two main parties aimed their advertising at independents, because that was where they could pick up votes. They could count on their party members to vote the party line, so they spent their money on convincing the unaffiliated for why they should vote for one or the other major parties. I don’t know if this would actually work out or not, but it seems like there are so many independent voters, that independent politicians could run in larger numbers and begin to capture more seats in Congress. Then they could caucus with whomever they most closely comfortable ideologically, OR........even caucus together as independents, owing nothing to either major party.
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
:thumbs2:

I really hope this plays out that way. It may not be in the immediate, but anything we can do to dismantle to two existing parties is good in my book.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “Off-Topic”