Stop issuance of the Green Beret to the U.S. Army 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OlBill
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Stop issuance of the Green Beret to the U.S. Army 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade.

Post by OlBill »

They've tried this kind of unit before. It doesn't work. This kind of work requires a maturity level above what is normally found in most units.

It's called Foreign Internal Defense (FID) and it's not for the lazy or big egos. It's very difficult.

FID is the core mission of SF and yes, they have drifted away from it or had last I checked. Everybody wants to be a commando.

It takes years to develop the required skill sets.

There were those in the SEALs who were good at it, but on an individual basis.

There is a lot of "Well, they're good at this so they'll be good at that! " thinking in the upper levels. And budget competition.

The thing about the hats is indicative of their lack of understanding of what it takes. They probably wanted another SF Group without the cost and effort. "Nobody will know the difference."

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Stop issuance of the Green Beret to the U.S. Army 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade.

Post by jmorris »

bblhd672 wrote:Apparently the Army got the message:
1st Security Force Assistance Brigade

The 1st SFAB has great respect for U.S. Army Special Forces, their many accomplishments and their singularly distinguished history. We also respect the concerns associated with the heraldry of the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade.

The 1st SFAB is not a Special Forces organization. We are a conventional force purposefully built to partner with other conventional forces. SFABs will support Army readiness by allowing brigade combat teams to focus on building their readiness for large scale contingencies instead of on the train, advise and assist missions.

In accordance with Army guidance, we will select a new unit name. The Army has also decided the SFABs will wear a Brown Infantry Beret like those worn by many armies. Our new name and photos of the beret will be published once the final decisions are approved.

Thank you for your support as we establish the identity and culture of the #1SFAB.

U.S. Army U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) XVIII Airborne Corps
Brown Infantry Beret? If he means the tan beret, here we go again.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I don't think so. I think they mean brown

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

Currently the only Army approved berets are black, maroon, and tan so they'd have to approve the brown.

I only spent seven years in the infantry many years ago but not Wiki, Google or I have heard of a infant brown beret. British, Canadians, and some others wear distinctive unit berets.

I only went halfway through this list but found few brown berets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_beret
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Funny thing about berets. They're actually a terrible head gear, but everybody wants one.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

OlBill wrote:Funny thing about berets. They're actually a terrible head gear, but everybody wants one.
If your goal is just not to sun burn on a bald/shaved top, it's fine! :lol:

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

flechero wrote:
If your goal is just not to sun burn on a bald/shaved top, it's fine! :lol:
If the sun is shining a beret is bad. It's made out of wool.

And it won't keep the sun out of your eyes.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

When I was in the Army, we wore baseball cap designed covers, when not in battle gear wearing steel helmets and liners. Yeah, steel helmets and liners have gone the way of the Do-Do.

I would be embarrassed to wear a beret (probably made in China) serving in a conventional infantry unit.

Why?

My opinion: If you're not a Green Beret (special forces) you haven't earned it. You're just another infantry grunt like I was...not that there's anything wrong with that, but you aren't special forces...you're conventional forces thus no beret for you.

Return to “Off-Topic”