Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 7005
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby RoyGBiv » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks! NotRPB

I'll hold on to the links until I get confirmation from kidde on which of my extinguishers they will replace.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 7005
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby RoyGBiv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Better instructions on how to identify recalled units.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 7005
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby RoyGBiv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:02 pm

NotRPB wrote:Newegg Marketplace (Zoro) also has a good price on the 5lb 10914, Buckeye 3A40BC better price ($48.98 +$5 shipping = $53.98 total) than Amazon ($61.00)(which I received) so I bought yet another for another room
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

FYI...
Found this same one on Amazon for the same $48.98, but with free shipping for Prime members.
No sales tax showing at checkout for me, so, $48.98 delivered.

If this link doesn't get you that price, check the right side a click on the link below "Other Sellers" that says "new (10) from $48.98".. LINK
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


Topic author
rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby rotor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Follow up
Received 3 replacement fire extinguishers today. They want the old ones back so don't destroy the boxes. Pain in the neck calling Fedex to schedule a pickup. New ones have a yellow tag on pin and there is no instruction about the tag. No way you can use this extinguisher in an emergency if you have not removed the yellow tag before the emergency.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 6002
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby ELB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

I got both fire extinguisher replacements I requested, one about a week ago and another one today.

The yellow plastic tag is just a safety seal to keep the pin from falling out. I wouldn't take it off, if the pin falls out then the handles can be squeezed and the extinguisher discharged in advertently. If the time comes, just give the pin a good pull and it should break the seal without any problems.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby TreyHouston » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:Better instructions on how to identify recalled units.




VERY USEFUL!!!! Thanks for the share! I rechecked all mine again, i am all good
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


Topic author
rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby rotor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

ELB wrote:I got both fire extinguisher replacements I requested, one about a week ago and another one today.

The yellow plastic tag is just a safety seal to keep the pin from falling out. I wouldn't take it off, if the pin falls out then the handles can be squeezed and the extinguisher discharged in advertently. If the time comes, just give the pin a good pull and it should break the seal without any problems.

Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... inguishers
I will leave them off.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11882
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby C-dub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

Looks like Kidde is in major damage control mode. I saw my first fire extinguisher commercial last night on television. It had nothing to do with the recall.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby Liberty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 am

rotor wrote:Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... inguishers
I will leave them off.

There are no scissors required. Just pull the pin and the tie will break loose. It's not a real tiewrap. More like a fragile bread tie thats made to strip out with a minimal force.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


Topic author
rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby rotor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 am

Liberty wrote:
rotor wrote:Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... inguishers
I will leave them off.

There are no scissors required. Just pull the pin and the tie will break loose. It's not a real tiewrap. More like a fragile bread tie thats made to strip out with a minimal force.

The instructions are multilanguage but there is no reference to the yellow "tamper evident" device. It would seem that the company would include this in the instructions. I don't want to fight the tag in an emergency.


loktite
Senior Member
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby loktite » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

ADDITIONALLY -- my original units are rechargeable. The replacements I received state single use, dispose after use.

...

Tempted to ship them back their replacements and keep my originals ><

Oh, and the inside boxes all had small holes where the handle punctured cardboard slightly. Not impressed.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby Bitter Clinger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 pm

loktite wrote:heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

ADDITIONALLY -- my original units are rechargeable. The replacements I received state single use, dispose after use.

...

Tempted to ship them back their replacements and keep my originals ><

Oh, and the inside boxes all had small holes where the handle punctured cardboard slightly. Not impressed.


Thanks! I have several and was about to begin the recall process. Think l will just stick with what I have after reading about your experience!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח


Topic author
rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby rotor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 am

Bitter Clinger wrote:
loktite wrote:heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

ADDITIONALLY -- my original units are rechargeable. The replacements I received state single use, dispose after use.

...

Tempted to ship them back their replacements and keep my originals ><

Oh, and the inside boxes all had small holes where the handle punctured cardboard slightly. Not impressed.


Thanks! I have several and was about to begin the recall process. Think l will just stick with what I have after reading about your experience!

Mine came OK. I just throw them out when pressure down and buy some more at Sam's club. They are cheap.


magillapd
Senior Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am
Location: DFW

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby magillapd » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 am

I only received 1 of 2, it's been about a month. Guess I need to call them again.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member
TSRA - Member

User avatar

G26ster
Senior Member
Posts: 2407
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Postby G26ster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 am

magillapd wrote:I only received 1 of 2, it's been about a month. Guess I need to call them again.


I also sent in two. Took over a month apart to get the second one.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SigM4 and 4 guests