Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Post by rotor »

If you have not heard about this check out their website. 40 million unit recall (3 in my household). One youngster dead when EMT fire extinguisher failed to work. May save your life.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Wow. That is a very large recall.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I was just getting ready to buy some fire extinguishers for the house this weekend. This is very timely info.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Thanks for sharing.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

we have about 40 or 50 fire extinguishers on two sites. had to run out and see what they were. Happily all but the one in my office were manufactured by AMEREX. The one in my office is on the recall list tho. I have two Kiddes at home, willhave to check tonight.
USAF 1982-2005

loktite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by loktite »

I have 3 HD240's in recall, need to check the small ones in vehicles.
NRA Endowment Member

curryman

Post by curryman »

All 6 of mine were recalled. Finally got through on the website. Have model #, date code and serial # handy. 15 to 20 days for replacements. Hopefully I can keep the old ones for teaching the wife and kids how to use them. Or shoot them!!

Curryman

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

My new replacement is on its way. Mine was recalled. The recall affects some models going back to 1973 up to 2017.

See https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-file ... +Kidde.pdf

for more info

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I was just getting ready to buy some fire extinguishers for the house this weekend. This is very timely info.
I just bought 2 more yesterday too, spent entire day finding best UL rating for 5 and 10 lb for the price

great tool here to compare UL rating by size, then search for your best price wherever
https://www.grainger.com/category/fire- ... dsZ1yyy0oo

5lb
5lb Buckeye 10914 ABC Dry Chemical 3A:40B:C
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W ... UTF8&psc=1
$61.00 Free Shipping no tax

10lb
10lb ABC Dry Chemical
Amerex B456 4A:80B:C

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM ... UTF8&psc=1
$62.99 free shipping no tax

So a 2 dollars more for higher UL rated 10 lb 4A:80B:C than a 5 lb 3A:40B:C ( I still got 1 of each, so a kid could lift)
that 10lb can cover 80 square feet, that 5 lb can cover 40 square feet

Similar, second choice 10lb is First Alert Pro 10 ... UL Rating 4A:60B:C (Lower UL rating 60 instead of 80 and it costs more) so THAT 10lb weighs as much, but only covers 60 Square feet instead of 80, and it costs more!
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Xcr8WZ ... r8E5W1N86U

(All 5 lbs are'nt created equal, all 10lbs aren't created equal etc... I don't know why since weight and dry material used is the same, but UL rated them, not me)
almost bought a 20lb because they go can up to 60A:120BC but that's a bit heavy

ABC explained:
Class A fires Ordinary Combustibles: wood, paper, cloth, trash and other ordinary materials
Class B fires Flammable Liquids & Gases such as gasoline, oils, paint lacquer and tar
Class C fires involving live electrical equipment

UL Rating explained:
Simplified :
the 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 20 40 60 80 120
Higher numbers are better

These numerical ratings allow you to compare the relative extinguishing effectiveness of various fire extinguishers. For example, an extinguisher that is rated 4A:20B:C indicates the following:
1. The A rating is a water equivalency rating.
Each A is equivalent to 1 1/4 gallons of water. 4A = 5 gallons of water.

2. The B:C rating is equivalent to the amount of square footage that the extinguisher can cover, handled by a professional.
20 B:C = 20 square feet of coverage.

3. C indicates it is suitable for use on electrically energized equipment

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I was just getting ready to buy some fire extinguishers for the house this weekend. This is very timely info.
I was planning in December since I get 3 paychecks that month. So yeah, timely indeed.
NRA Benefactor Member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

They're recalling several sizes, but ... THE kIDDE i HAVE GOT RECALLED IS A 2.5 LB 1A-10BC
1A >>> (equal to 2 gallon of water to put out a fire in garbage can was not enough)

It was a replacement to a 2.5 lb one that was used to try to stop a fire in a neighbor's plastic garbage can when they emptied an ashtray in it, then went to work ... it was too small and ran out before the fire was out, but they bought me a replacement the same size as what I used up.

Since it was too small is why I'm buying the 5lb (3A = 4 gallons Water 40B:C (40 square feet coverage for liquid fires) and 10lb (4A=5gallons water 80B:C 80 Square feet coverage for Liquid fires) because we have a volunteer fire Dept and I don't know their average response time, but it took a while so I had to drag the flaming melting garbage can out from under their carport to an open area in the driveway after the extinguisher was empty

so I'll have 3 now, the replacement 2.5lb 1A:10BC "too small to put out a small garbage can fire" for the recalled one the neighbors bought me. and the 3A:40BC and 4A:80BC ones I ordered above so next garbage can fire they have I may can extinguish it instead of dragging a flaming melting can around breathing fumes hoping the aerosol cans in there don't explode on me (one did, like a can of bug spray they had in there, the oils in aerosol bug spray exploding quickly re-ignited the thing according to Fireman Investigator man)

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

How I finally found the most extinguisher for the $

searched, then saw shipping and/or tax added to price versus what i saw with free shipping and tax elsewhere)
highest UL rated 5lb ABC extinguisher

highest UL rated 10lb ABC extinguisher

(Buckeye/Badger/Amerex brands [ made in USA I believe, instead of out of Country like some others ] are high UL rated for each size/money, lots of commercial restaurants/businesses use them, First Alert is good, but more expensive, I'm guessing some people pay for name recognition since home consumers buy their smoke detectors etc more)

I have no affiliation with those companies, just sharing what I spent a full day researching

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Fire extinguishers are my in-law's business so I get to hear about how those brands such as Kidde are trash. Evidently you cannot have them serviced. I think spending the money on a couple of Buckeye brand extinguishers, ABC style, is worth it if you are at all able.
Psalm 91:2

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

NotRPB wrote:
I just bought 2 more yesterday too, spent entire day finding best UL rating for 5 and 10 lb for the price

great tool here to compare UL rating by size, then search for your best price wherever
https://www.grainger.com/category/fire- ... dsZ1yyy0oo

5lb
5lb Buckeye 10914 ABC Dry Chemical 3A:40B:C
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W ... UTF8&psc=1
$61.00 Free Shipping no tax

10lb
10lb ABC Dry Chemical
Amerex B456 4A:80B:C

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM ... UTF8&psc=1
$62.99 free shipping no tax

So a 2 dollars more for higher UL rated 10 lb 4A:80B:C than a 5 lb 3A:40B:C ( I still got 1 of each, so a kid could lift)
that 10lb can cover 80 square feet, that 5 lb can cover 40 square feet

Similar, second choice 10lb is First Alert Pro 10 ... UL Rating 4A:60B:C (Lower UL rating 60 instead of 80 and it costs more) so THAT 10lb weighs as much, but only covers 60 Square feet instead of 80, and it costs more!
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Xcr8WZ ... r8E5W1N86U

(All 5 lbs are'nt created equal, all 10lbs aren't created equal etc... I don't know why since weight and dry material used is the same, but UL rated them, not me)
almost bought a 20lb because they go can up to 60A:120BC but that's a bit heavy

ABC explained:
Class A fires Ordinary Combustibles: wood, paper, cloth, trash and other ordinary materials
Class B fires Flammable Liquids & Gases such as gasoline, oils, paint lacquer and tar
Class C fires involving live electrical equipment

UL Rating explained:
Simplified :
the 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 20 40 60 80 120
Higher numbers are better

These numerical ratings allow you to compare the relative extinguishing effectiveness of various fire extinguishers. For example, an extinguisher that is rated 4A:20B:C indicates the following:
1. The A rating is a water equivalency rating.
Each A is equivalent to 1 1/4 gallons of water. 4A = 5 gallons of water.

2. The B:C rating is equivalent to the amount of square footage that the extinguisher can cover, handled by a professional.
20 B:C = 20 square feet of coverage.

3. C indicates it is suitable for use on electrically energized equipment
Newegg Marketplace (Zoro) also has a good price on the 5lb 10914, Buckeye 3A40BC better price ($48.98 +$5 shipping = $53.98 total) than Amazon ($61.00)(which I received) so I bought yet another for another room
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

Return to “Off-Topic”