Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Kiddee fire extinguisher recall

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks! NotRPB

I'll hold on to the links until I get confirmation from kidde on which of my extinguishers they will replace.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Better instructions on how to identify recalled units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Xmh1VmZHo

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

NotRPB wrote:Newegg Marketplace (Zoro) also has a good price on the 5lb 10914, Buckeye 3A40BC better price ($48.98 +$5 shipping = $53.98 total) than Amazon ($61.00)(which I received) so I bought yet another for another room
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1
FYI...
Found this same one on Amazon for the same $48.98, but with free shipping for Prime members.
No sales tax showing at checkout for me, so, $48.98 delivered.

If this link doesn't get you that price, check the right side a click on the link below "Other Sellers" that says "new (10) from $48.98".. LINK

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

Follow up
Received 3 replacement fire extinguishers today. They want the old ones back so don't destroy the boxes. Pain in the neck calling Fedex to schedule a pickup. New ones have a yellow tag on pin and there is no instruction about the tag. No way you can use this extinguisher in an emergency if you have not removed the yellow tag before the emergency.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

I got both fire extinguisher replacements I requested, one about a week ago and another one today.

The yellow plastic tag is just a safety seal to keep the pin from falling out. I wouldn't take it off, if the pin falls out then the handles can be squeezed and the extinguisher discharged in advertently. If the time comes, just give the pin a good pull and it should break the seal without any problems.
USAF 1982-2005

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

RoyGBiv wrote:Better instructions on how to identify recalled units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Xmh1VmZHo

VERY USEFUL!!!! Thanks for the share! I rechecked all mine again, i am all good
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

ELB wrote:I got both fire extinguisher replacements I requested, one about a week ago and another one today.

The yellow plastic tag is just a safety seal to keep the pin from falling out. I wouldn't take it off, if the pin falls out then the handles can be squeezed and the extinguisher discharged in advertently. If the time comes, just give the pin a good pull and it should break the seal without any problems.
Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... inguishers
I will leave them off.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Looks like Kidde is in major damage control mode. I saw my first fire extinguisher commercial last night on television. It had nothing to do with the recall.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote: Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
I will leave them off.
There are no scissors required. Just pull the pin and the tie will break loose. It's not a real tiewrap. More like a fragile bread tie thats made to strip out with a minimal force.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

Liberty wrote:
rotor wrote: Maybe or else you have to run for a scissors to cut the thing. I don't know and I can't see why Kiddee doesn't reference it. The old extinguishers did not have such a retaining yellow tag. I cut mine off.

Then I found this
I will leave them off.
There are no scissors required. Just pull the pin and the tie will break loose. It's not a real tiewrap. More like a fragile bread tie thats made to strip out with a minimal force.
The instructions are multilanguage but there is no reference to the yellow "tamper evident" device. It would seem that the company would include this in the instructions. I don't want to fight the tag in an emergency.

loktite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by loktite »

heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

ADDITIONALLY -- my original units are rechargeable. The replacements I received state single use, dispose after use.

Tempted to ship them back their replacements and keep my originals ><

Oh, and the inside boxes all had small holes where the handle punctured cardboard slightly. Not impressed.
NRA Endowment Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

loktite wrote:heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

ADDITIONALLY -- my original units are rechargeable. The replacements I received state single use, dispose after use.

Oh, and the inside boxes all had small holes where the handle punctured cardboard slightly. Not impressed.
Thanks! I have several and was about to begin the recall process. Think l will just stick with what I have after reading about your experience!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
loktite wrote:heh. One of my 3 *replacements was fully DISCHARGED inside the box. Yes, that means I got a box leaking yellow dry chem. yellow tag broken. I didn't find the pin , don't really care to .

Thanks! I have several and was about to begin the recall process. Think l will just stick with what I have after reading about your experience!
Mine came OK. I just throw them out when pressure down and buy some more at Sam's club. They are cheap.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I only received 1 of 2, it's been about a month. Guess I need to call them again.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

magillapd wrote:I only received 1 of 2, it's been about a month. Guess I need to call them again.

I also sent in two. Took over a month apart to get the second one.

Return to “Off-Topic”