Things and Sayings That Annoy!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Things and Sayings That Annoy!

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

RSX11 wrote: Then perhaps you'd enjoy the adventures of Action Item, superhero.
OMG, I hate that term, mostly because my director uses it all the time for things I think are of no consequence whatsoever...... :mad5
Hilarious. All the buzzwords/phrases guaranteed to make a cubicle denizen psychotic in one illustrated place..... :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Abraham »

"Over Achiever" is another in a long list of words and/or terms that perturb me.

This term must've been thunk up by one of the cud chewers in the herd.

Being mediocre is a perfectly normal state of being. Most folks are either mediocre or less...

To minimize achievement, heck, to disparage achievement is to shoot yourself in the foot Mr. Mediocre.

Sorry chum/chumette, yes, a cure for cancer accomplished by a so-called O.A. is brilliant, astounding even, but it makes the common herd feel, well, ah, uncomfortable, because their biggest achievement is remembering to take out the trash before it reeks.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Abraham my friend: You are certainly the correct person to start this thread,
which gives a lot of us the opportunity to vent!

Here's some of my "things and sayings that annoy":

People who go out in public with their babies, and the babies have on only their diaper.
Can you say "poor white trash" any stronger?

People who go out in public dressed in flannel PJ pants and supposedly ironically-entertaining
big sheepskin slippers, or with some cartoon character on them. More white trash attire.

You are waiting patiently at a stop sign in your vehicle, so as not to cut off an approaching vehicle.
Then the ignorant driver of said vehicle turns into your side street or driveway without using
their turn signal, and they are on their cell phone, as if it's impossible to hit the turn signal
while they are chatting. Grrrrr!

People who enter a 70 MPH road, cut you off, then go 40 MPH.

People who ride the brakes when approaching a green light, then the light turns yellow, they
take their foot off the brake, and cruise through on the yellow/red. Grrrr!

The signs which TexDOT posts that say "State Law: Obey Warning Signs". I always took it for
granted that if the authorities post a sign, of course they want you to comply with it.
Why post this stupid sign?

I hate that ammo boxes will be displayed with the short side out, but they don't state the number
of rounds in that box, or the style of ammo.

Since I prefer accurate terms to approximate terms, I dislike it when people call revolvers "pistols",
or the old "clip" vs. magazine thing.

Over time the word "literally" has lost its original meaning. Now people use "literally" for all kinds
of things. "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times....don't exaggerate!".

Although not hearing-impaired, I always watch movies with "subtitles on". Some movies have
subtitles which exactly match what's being said. Some are only approximate. I hate it when
they don't accurately reflect what is being said.

Over and out for now.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

Have fun at your next corporate meeting/seminar. Play Bull Bingo. Make a Tic Tac Toe board (9 squares), and in each square write in one of the following:

1. At the end of the day
2. Price Point
3. Return on Investment
4. Literally
5. Per se
6. If you will
7. Basically
8. Think outside the box
9. Give 110%

When you have X'd out 3 squares in a row, raise your hand and yell, "Bull!" Then pick up your final check :mrgreen:

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by pbwalker »

george wrote:
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Abraham my friend: You are certainly the correct person to start this thread,
which gives a lot of us the opportunity to vent!

Here's some of my "things and sayings that annoy":

Since I prefer accurate terms to approximate terms, I dislike it when people call revolvers "pistols",
or the old "clip" vs. magazine thing.

Over and out for now.

SIA

Flintlocks and revolvers were "pistols" long before semi-autos were invented.
Good read on this exact subject:

https://www.thoughtco.com/definition-of-pistol-1927171

Revolvers, on the other hand, are not pistols, because a revolver contains a cylinder that's separate from the barrel and which contains multiple chambers that rotate around to align the cartridge with the barrel as the gun is fired.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

What really annoys me is OCD people that correct people for no reason. People who believe that calling a magazine a clip, or cartridge a bullet are somehow defective. I guess I never would have thought of correcting my drill sargeants when they called them clips. They might be wrong but who was I to correct them when they told me that my M16 was not a gun.
pbwalker wrote:
Good read on this exact subject:

https://www.thoughtco.com/definition-of-pistol-1927171

Revolvers, on the other hand, are not pistols, because a revolver contains a cylinder that's separate from the barrel and which contains multiple chambers that rotate around to align the cartridge with the barrel as the gun is fired.
I don't know who this Russ Chastain is, but it sounds like he is just making up definitions as he goes, what makes him more of an expert than Col. Colt.

Samuel Colt, who described his cylinder-firearm invention as a “revolving pistol.” I figure if he thought they were pistols that they must be a pistol, who are these OCD folks to argue? I don't know when folks decided that revolvers aren't pistols, but it is clear that from the very beginning they were considered pistols. I can't understand why they need to seperated. Why would a derringer, a 1911, or a muzzleloader be thought of as d different category than a revolver?

The NRA Firearms Sourcebook, defines a pistol as “a generic term for a hand-held firearm. Often used more specifically to refer to a single-shot, revolver or semi-automatic handgun.”

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/ ... z4yb0KTcSG

There are three primary types of guns artillery, rifles and pistols.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

“No one needs a 30 round magazine “

“No one needs an AR-15”

Almost everything said by elected Democrats and Republicans.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

allisji

Post by allisji »

G26ster wrote:Have fun at your next corporate meeting/seminar. Play Bull Bingo. Make a Tic Tac Toe board (9 squares), and in each square write in one of the following:

1. At the end of the day
2. Price Point
3. Return on Investment
4. Literally
5. Per se
6. If you will
7. Basically
8. Think outside the box
9. Give 110%

When you have X'd out 3 squares in a row, raise your hand and yell, "Bull!" Then pick up your final check :mrgreen:
Here's another one though more of a political buzzword than a corporatism..: affect change

oh, and also "create synergy"

"right sizing"
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Uummmmm and uhhhh, when talking. AND STOP FIDDLING WITH STUFF!!!!!!

Not looking people in the eyes when talking to someone.

A sissy hand shake.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

Having someone, especially a waiter or other service staff member, say "No Problem!" instead of "My pleasure." or "I'm happy to help." or "I'll take care of that." or even "You're welcome." in response to a request.

If it was going to be a problem I wouldn't have asked!
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by pbwalker »

Liberty wrote:What really annoys me is OCD people that correct people for no reason. People who believe that calling a magazine a clip, or cartridge a bullet are somehow defective. I guess I never would have thought of correcting my drill sargeants when they called them clips. They might be wrong but who was I to correct them when they told me that my M16 was not a gun.
I try not to correct people about the mag / clip thing, but I do judge them for it... :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SQLGeek »

Liberty wrote:What really annoys me is OCD people that correct people for no reason.

I guess I never would have thought of correcting my drill sargeants ...
*Sits on hands*

:mrgreen:
Psalm 91:2

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

oohrah wrote:"Thank You for your service" I'm a Viet Nam vet and no one gave s**t about my service, so it annoys the c**p out of me now.
Or worse...the folks at the Lowe's always say, "thank you for your services"...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

Abraham wrote:Middle age and older guys who think whisker stubble (not beards) somehow makes them appear glamorous instead of what they really look like: Homeless bums.

Yeah, of late, it's quite the fashionable thing for young good looking guys to sport stubble, but old guys like Harvey Windbag, the movie mogul pervert, ugh...equally dorky is middle age guys, sporting pony tails, though this look is waning...
:iagree: also middle age and older guys who think a Corvette makes them the bee's knees.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Off-Topic”