Things and Sayings That Annoy!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 16

Things and Sayings That Annoy!

Post by Abraham »

Middle age and older guys who think whisker stubble (not beards) somehow makes them appear glamorous instead of what they really look like: Homeless bums.

Yeah, of late, it's quite the fashionable thing for young good looking guys to sport stubble, but old guys like Harvey Windbag, the movie mogul pervert, ugh...equally dorky is middle age guys, sporting pony tails, though this look is waning...

It's in his/her/my "wheelhouse".

The over use of this particular bit of verbal flotsam is one I hear at least once a day. I would guess only a few know what a "wheelhouse" is...

O.K. your turn.

What thing or saying annoys you?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Things and Sayings That Annoy!

Post by Jusme »

Great topic!!
I don't know of any sayings that really annoy me since most are so fashionably fleeting, but people who talk like they are on twitter, by using initials instead of words, i.e. BTW, OMG, etc really grate on my nerves. Also mispronouncing words, tends to make my me roll my eyes, particularly the word "supposedly" when it is pronounced " supposubly"

I may think of others and will list them if I do.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jeff B. »

Yeah... spending a lot of my early years in the Army, I still shave every morning and except for an occasional goatee remain that way.

I travel for work consistently. Its not infrequent to see the current "younger professional" look of shaved head, square black glasses and usually, a black get up. What gets me are older guys that go for the look, trying IMO to look younger or more "with it".

I suspect in most cases, the effort fails and they simply appear to be older guys trying to look younger.

On the other hand, I totally get and am with folks that appear to embrace what they are and are comfortable in their skins. Believe me, you can tell the difference.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

ok...i'll bite. whats a wheelhouse?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Like Jeff B., I spent my formative years in the Army. However, I promised myself that I would grow a beard when I got out. Did not know then that I would take so long. I prefer to keep my beard short as I tend to find the stubble look annoying. Not as annoying as "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less."
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

oljames3 wrote:Like Jeff B., I spent my formative years in the Army. However, I promised myself that I would grow a beard when I got out. Did not know then that I would take so long. I prefer to keep my beard short as I tend to find the stubble look annoying. Not as annoying as "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less."
Every so often, usually in the winter, I grow a goatee and keep it trimmed up.

I also don't go for the "bum" or "scrungy" look, which is how I view folks that appear to be lacking in the personal grooming department.

;-)

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

mayor

Post by mayor »

I shave once a week whether I need to or not. What annoys me is people that think i might care what they think about my looks. Oh, and the phrase "no worries".

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TDS,

I'll provide a hint: It's something nautical.

Jeff B.,

Methinks you're joshing as such sayings as: "Comfortable in their own skin" is another in the very long list of annoying sayings.

A "point in time" is annoying.

The word "point" is sufficient. Adding "in time" is gilding the lilly, which is another annoying saying...arggghhh!

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Abraham wrote:TDS,

I'll provide a hint: It's something nautical.

Jeff B.,

Methinks you're joshing as such sayings as: "Comfortable in their own skin" is another in the very long list of annoying sayings.

A "point in time" is annoying.

The word "point" is sufficient. Adding "in time" is gilding the lilly, which is another annoying saying...arggghhh!
And, "at the end of the day"...

:mrgreen:

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

You mean like the extra 'e' in that other topic title here in the "Off-Topic" section, the one that phonetically turns it from a safety tool into a child's toy, and annoys the English majors, and the OCD folks no end? :shock:

(wait for it...)
"Kiddee fire extinguisher recall"
Every time I see it, I get stuck for some period in this distraction loop of cartoon babies squirting each other and candle-flaming birthday cakes with seltzer bottles until the mental gears grind and reattach to the actual topic meaning. :eek6 "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Personally I like the slightly receding hairline, middle spare tire and fu-man-chu mustache look myself...

:anamatedbanana

Annoying, hmm... Getting older pretty much makes everything annoying, and the list just gets longer everyday.. But off the top of my head and not in any special order.

Youngesters trying to tell me how the world works
Politicians
Snowflakes
Tailgaters
Drivers who think blinkers are an accessory
Firearms that don't go bang every time I pull the trigger

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pretentiously labeling restaurants as "Bistros" or worse "Brasseries".

UGH!

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Having to constantly fast forward through 8 billion television advertisements per program as I can no longer watch anything on television without having to record it.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Reading a book with the writer revealing his ignorance of guns by writing about taking the safety off his Glock and other gun ignorance.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Take Down Sicko wrote:ok...i'll bite. whats a wheelhouse?
It’s that little hut on the Texas deck

Return to “Off-Topic”