Cold Steel Frenzy - Tri-Ad Lock Very Difficult

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Cold Steel Frenzy - Tri-Ad Lock Very Difficult

Post by Abraham »

I just bought one of these beauties.

I opened it. Easy.

When I depressed the unlocking button to close the knife, I couldn't budge it one handed. It felt like it was welded in place.

Using both hands, I still struggled, but finally managed to get it to the sweet spot that allows me to close the blade. Afterwards, I was left with deep depressions in my fingers from the effort. Heck, even using gloves weren't much help...

I've been doing some research and it seems many folks have the same problem with unlocking Tri-Ad knife locks that Cold Steel uses, though how to loosen em up isn't addressed.

I put some 3 in 1 oil on the moving parts of the lock and that helped, but it's still a bear to close.

At this point, about the only thing I can do to loosen it up is open and close, open and close, open and close. Maybe, before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I'll be able to close the lock without getting a triple hernia.

Any of you have any better ideas how I can get this lock to loosen up? (Taking it apart isn't something I care to try...)

I've looked at some U-tube videos and no one else seems to have this problem, but maybe they've opened and closed theirs a billion time before doing the videos and never, ahem, mention how stiff the locks were initially...

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cold Steel Frenzy - Tri-Ad Lock Very Difficult

Post by cmgee67 »

Never had that prob with my voyager XL but, my recon 1 on the other hand will get stuck every now and then. It acts like it sticks. I don’t carry cold steel anymore mainly just GEC and spyderco.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I've had some cold steel knives with the triad lock, and while I didn't need a lot of strength to close it, I did need some precision. I had to press the lever or button or whatever you call it exactly straight down and to its fullest extent, then the blade would move freely (watch your fingers!). also, I had to make sure to not put any pressure on the back or side of the blade - I basically made sure I was not touching the blade at all. The innards seem to be very precisely machined and very precisely fit, so any unneeded tension or force would seem to lock it up.

I've had some knives with lesser locks that were entirely too easy to close, so I really liked the Tri-ad locks.
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It was a tad difficult finding that sweet spot on my Recon I when I first got it to get it to close easily. However, after a couple of years I can still find it pretty quick now. I've never had it "lock up" on me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for your input.

I've emailed Cold Steel with my problem and asked them for tips on how to get it to
unlock without exploding the muscles in my hands, arms, and neck.

We'll see...

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Update: Cold Steel advised - Open the blade to a 90 degree angle and leave it that way for a few days.

So, I put it in a safe place and left the blade out at a 90 degree angle for a week and now (almost, but not quite) voila', it's easier to unlock, though it's still 'relatively' difficult. On some days, I can unlock the blade with one hand and on others I need both. Weird.

Now, when time and the situation is right, I simply open and close the blade over and over to loosen it up.

Most of my EDC folders have been Spyderco or Kershaw and I never had a single problem closing them.

I not really a 'knife' guy, but this one (Cold Steel Frenzy) is so over the top huge for a folder (the blade is 5 1/2" long and once opened the whole thing is over a foot long) I had to have it, unaware of it's attendant unlocking issues.

Why?

Because most of us guys never get past 12 years of age when it comes to certain guy-things...I know this because SWMBO just shakes her head at things I find hilarious, and mutter...12 year old boy humor...ugh! (for instance my love of the 3 Stooges - Curly being my hero) drives her bananas. I'll never stop being impressed with someone who can run in a circle on his side, on the floor all the while yelping whoo, whoo, whoo! That takes talent!

Slapstick humor at it's finest. Though W.C. Fields comes a close second and thirdly Laurel and Hardy.

O.K. I digress, but take the time to look at Cold Steel Frenzy and tell me if you're not impressed.

Return to “Off-Topic”