Residential coyotes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Residential coyotes

Post by cmgee67 »

cirus wrote:I live out in the country and the coyotes aren't the problem. It's the new neighbors dogs that bark all night at the coyotes. City dogs that belong to city people. I throw scraps over the fence about 3 times a week and the yotes come up within 20' of my house and eat. I even been out grilling after dark in the winter and have them come up with there nose in the air and watch me grill. I get a kick out of it. I've killed 2 out my bathroom window with a 12 ga loaded with 3" mags. Nothing like varmint hunting from inside the house. :fire
I agree about the dogs! I too live in the country and the yotes are quiet as a church mouse compared to the dogs around my place. Although I don’t let yotes get comfortable around my house like you. My wife has a mini snauzer or however you spell it and she would put me in the dog house if a yote got it because I didnt keep em run off

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

There was a little female that bedded down underneath some bushes in a yard next to ours several winters ago. When our 65 pound female GSD was down there giving her what for one day her mate approached within about 10-15 feet of our fence to do whatever. Challenge her or to come say "How you doin?" IDK

However, when my girl's big brother (95 lb. of very dominant intact male) got into the action that male coyote wanted nothing to do with him. We haven't seen any in the neighborhood since.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

A couple of years ago, our city sponsored a talk on coyotes by an "expert" I took away some surprising things from that session.

1. Coyote diets are 20-30% fruits and vegetables. This is important because they seek out sources of food. I had a pear tree and allowed some of the fruit to rot on the ground. I found a coyote munching away on the ground fruit more than once.
2. Coyotes are very smart and adaptable. People teach them not to be afraid of people by feeding them. The recommendation by the expert was to "haze" the coyotes with loud yelling, raising your arms above your head and charging at them. They re-learn fear of humans and will stay away. They can and will transfer that learning to others in the group that weren't hazed.
3. Coyotes are territorial. Relocating or killing one will just get you another one taking over that territory. They are everywhere but are very adept and remaining unnoticed in urban areas. The expert cited a study that tagged coyotes and then tracked them with electronic monitoring
4. Coyotes can jump great heights considering their size (average 40lbs). The expert recommended 8 foot fences with special rollers at the top (to cause them to roll back off instead of getting a balance point and using the top of the fence to launch themselves to the other side) if you want to keep them out of your yard.

I've had them run across my front porch. With two 18 lb dogs, I was concerned about providing unintended meals for a coyote so I've been aggressive at hazing any that i see. i do believe that some of my neighbors were feeding them.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote:A couple of years ago, our city sponsored a talk on coyotes by an "expert" I took away some surprising things from that session.

1. Coyote diets are 20-30% fruits and vegetables. This is important because they seek out sources of food. I had a pear tree and allowed some of the fruit to rot on the ground. I found a coyote munching away on the ground fruit more than once.
2. Coyotes are very smart and adaptable. People teach them not to be afraid of people by feeding them. The recommendation by the expert was to "haze" the coyotes with loud yelling, raising your arms above your head and charging at them. They re-learn fear of humans and will stay away. They can and will transfer that learning to others in the group that weren't hazed.
3. Coyotes are territorial. Relocating or killing one will just get you another one taking over that territory. They are everywhere but are very adept and remaining unnoticed in urban areas. The expert cited a study that tagged coyotes and then tracked them with electronic monitoring
4. Coyotes can jump great heights considering their size (average 40lbs). The expert recommended 8 foot fences with special rollers at the top (to cause them to roll back off instead of getting a balance point and using the top of the fence to launch themselves to the other side) if you want to keep them out of your yard.

I've had them run across my front porch. With two 18 lb dogs, I was concerned about providing unintended meals for a coyote so I've been aggressive at hazing any that i see. i do believe that some of my neighbors were feeding them.
Good info. Thanks! :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”