Adios Academy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Adios Academy

Post by 16Adams »

I see exactly what the OP is upset about, but I think he’s hurting himself by “forever”. I think it’s a pretty cool store, but not so cool that I won’t shop online. Recently Bought a G33 and wanted a pocket holster for hiking fishing etc. Bam- in and out of Academy in 5 minutes. Gander mountain closed I was disappointed. I didn’t buy much gun stuff there, but it was there if I wanted too. Now that option is gone. I don’t like it when gun stores go under. Perhaps you can show leniency and reduce their sentence to 45-60 days.
My Academy is clean, well stocked and staffed with knowledgeable employees. Great BBQ and Golf sections.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

G26ster wrote:
Abraham wrote:I think with every day, I'm lucky to be above ground as I'm well past the 'sell by date' of my life. In my family we tend to croak early...

My Dad died at 58 if that indicates much and I'm quite a bit beyond that age.

Don't count on living some imagined X numbers of years left either. Your number (and mine too for that matter) may be up in the next moment. Aortas go in an instant, dead right now heart attacks occur daily throughout the world, fatal car accidents, and no, I need not go on. You get my message.

So, much like TAM, I avoid getting too exercised by misfortune. Am I always Gandhi like in my response to things that annoy/aggravate...no, of course not.

What I don't do is dwell on them...they will pass. Kinda like a kidney stone.
You and TAM are causing me to question my status as a curmudgeon. What's the point of getting old and not being able to complain about everything, and be perpetually "annoyed?" :biggrinjester:
You bring up a serious point! Just what is TAM annoyed about? :biggrinjester: I am trying to decide what is the minimum number of annoyances and peccadilloes one must have to be a curmudgeon. I have 856 and counting. I may be qualified. "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

dlh

Post by dlh »

puma guy wrote:
G26ster wrote:
Abraham wrote:I think with every day, I'm lucky to be above ground as I'm well past the 'sell by date' of my life. In my family we tend to croak early...

My Dad died at 58 if that indicates much and I'm quite a bit beyond that age.

Don't count on living some imagined X numbers of years left either. Your number (and mine too for that matter) may be up in the next moment. Aortas go in an instant, dead right now heart attacks occur daily throughout the world, fatal car accidents, and no, I need not go on. You get my message.

So, much like TAM, I avoid getting too exercised by misfortune. Am I always Gandhi like in my response to things that annoy/aggravate...no, of course not.

What I don't do is dwell on them...they will pass. Kinda like a kidney stone.
You and TAM are causing me to question my status as a curmudgeon. What's the point of getting old and not being able to complain about everything, and be perpetually "annoyed?" :biggrinjester:
You bring up a serious point! Just what is TAM annoyed about? :biggrinjester: I am trying to decide what is the minimum number of annoyances and peccadilloes one must have to be a curmudgeon. I have 856 and counting. I may be qualified. "rlol"
I am quickly joining this crowd--specially after The Supreme Court of the United States decided it was more important to resolve issues with a "gay wedding cake" than it was to grant cert in the Maryland case and further refine Heller and the law pertaining to the Second Amendment.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

They may have the right but that still stinks for the OP.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Online ordering through box stores seems to be hit or miss. I've had many more issues ordering from Walmart.com than anywhere else although Kohls messed up an order so badly once that we actually canceled our store credit card with them over the whole fiasco.

Keep in mind also that for the Remington rebate on the range bucket, the purchase had to be made by 11/27. I'm not sure if that would have ended up qualifying or not. That said, I very much understand the frustration. I just find that raging against giant corporate stores generally isn't worth the aggravation.
Psalm 91:2

superstar

Post by superstar »

I'm going to echo sgammo, ammo depot and freedom munitions. I've been using reman 124gr for 9mm and it's been flawless so far.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

BBYC wrote:I buy a lot of my ammo at Academy. They aren't the cheapest but prices are usually reasonable and they're convenient. That's about to change.

I ordered three range buckets from Academy on Black Friday. They sent a confirmation email. They charged my credit card. Then last week I got an email saying they cancelled my order and won't honor their advertised price. They're refunding my payment.

So I'm done with Academy. From now on I'm buying ammo in bulk online. Everything else I buy at Academy can also be bought online, except guns. I need a local FFL for that, but even paying transfer fees I don't think I'll lose money overall.

So, adios Academy.

:tiphat:
https://www.orrtactical.com/

Orr tactical is making some of the cleanest, most consistent ammo I have ever shot.Veteran owned company located in Needville Tx. :txflag:

Full disclosure: Orr is my sponsor, but I was a believer in the product before they sponsored me. The prices are darn good too!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Topic author
BBYC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BBYC »

SQLGeek wrote:That said, I very much understand the frustration. I just find that raging against giant corporate stores generally isn't worth the aggravation.
:iagree: I also think shopping at a business that won't uphold their end of a deal, if it's inconvenient for them, isn't worth the aggravation. Why waste time patronizing Academy when there are more reliable businesses? That's doubly true when I'm finding out those more reliable companies are often less expensive. I'm mature enough to delay gratification to save time and money.

Some of you feel differently and that's your choice.
:tiphat:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

BBYC wrote: :iagree: I also think shopping at a business that won't uphold their end of a deal, if it's inconvenient for them, isn't worth the aggravation.
No argument from me there! I won't darken Kohl's doors again myself. I wish they cared but they don't so no money from me.

We're just little people but we can vote with our wallets.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Off-Topic”