Adios Academy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BBYC
Posts in topic: 3

Adios Academy

Post by BBYC »

I buy a lot of my ammo at Academy. They aren't the cheapest but prices are usually reasonable and they're convenient. That's about to change.

I ordered three range buckets from Academy on Black Friday. They sent a confirmation email. They charged my credit card. Then last week I got an email saying they cancelled my order and won't honor their advertised price. They're refunding my payment.

So I'm done with Academy. From now on I'm buying ammo in bulk online. Everything else I buy at Academy can also be bought online, except guns. I need a local FFL for that, but even paying transfer fees I don't think I'll lose money overall.

So, adios Academy.

:tiphat:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Adios Academy

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Did they give you a reason why they cancelled your order?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

If your in the Dallas Area you can always go to grabagun.. They smear Academy on prices and you can pick up local. I do all of my ammo online in bulk. Even with shipping it still beats Academy sales prices.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Then they should send you a gift card for the difference, including the rebate. By agreeing to their contract you did not seek other avenues. Now that they have backed out they have effectively denied you the opportunity to take advantage of the sale price and rebate.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Did they give you a reason why they cancelled your order?
There has to be more to this story than Academy cancelled the order. Why did they cancel the order? Out of stock, a pricing error, bad credit, etc.?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

The Annoyed Man

OneGun wrote:
There has to be more to this story than Academy cancelled the order. Why did they cancel the order? Out of stock, a pricing error, bad credit, etc.?
My thought exactly. It’s not that I think Academy is some kind of paragon of virtue, but companies aren’t in the business of walking away from a sale unless something is really wrong with it, or they are out of stock and no longer able to replenish their inventory of that particular item.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
OneGun wrote:
My thought exactly. It’s not that I think Academy is some kind of paragon of virtue, but companies aren’t in the business of walking away from a sale unless something is really wrong with it, or they are out of stock and no longer able to replenish their inventory of that particular item.
There are reports of Cabelas doing the same thing recently on a Vortex scope that was on sale. Confirmation e-mails followed by cancellation. I was able to get my scope at the sale price, so they only did this to some folks and not others.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

It seems that many companies have jumped head first into "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday/Week" offering great deals on limited quantity items without having the back end systems in place to keep people from placing orders when the item has gone to out of stock status. When your online ordering system isn't capable of real time inventory then you take orders until such time as the warehouse tells the ordering department stock is exhausted. At that point all they can do is issue refunds to customers who placed orders after the stock ran out and,hopefully, an apology for the inconvenience. I'd bet that somewhere in the fine print of Academy's online transaction there is verbiage stating that they will refund money if the item is out of stock.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Look at sgammo.com or maybe ammunition depot. SGammo has very good prices on bulk pistol ammo and they usually ship it out within a day or two.

Otherwise, I find Walmart has good prices on the 100 round packs of Winchester white box. They are always a hair cheaper than Academy.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:It seems that many companies have jumped head first into "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday/Week" offering great deals on limited quantity items without having the back end systems in place to keep people from placing orders when the item has gone to out of stock status. When your online ordering system isn't capable of real time inventory then you take orders until such time as the warehouse tells the ordering department stock is exhausted. At that point all they can do is issue refunds to customers who placed orders after the stock ran out and,hopefully, an apology for the inconvenience. I'd bet that somewhere in the fine print of Academy's online transaction there is verbiage stating that they will refund money if the item is out of stock.
Actually that is not "all they can do". There is no law that I know of that prevents them from fulfilling the orders, possibly at a loss to the retailer. They can do that. Alternatively, they can decide to not hold up their end of a deal, and take the loss of future business from affected customers, as well as folks those customers complain to. Let's not confuse what a company is able to do, or even what they are legally required to do, with what they can do.

Academy, Cabelas, and likely others have made it clear that they are not willing to keep up their end of a deal when it does not suit them. I have yet to hear of a many online only companies who are dishonest in this way.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

I don't have a dog in the fight, but Academy website T&C very clear that they have no duty to fill the order let alone honor the order:

3. Ordering

When you place an order on our Websites, Academy will not charge you for your order until we receive authorization for your payment method. Academy reserves the right, at any time after receipt of your order, to accept, decline, or cancel your order, or any portion thereof, even after your receipt of an order confirmation. We also reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to limit the quantity of items ordered, refuse service to any customer, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, and/or prohibit sales to dealers. Some situations where we may cancel your order include inaccuracies or errors in product or pricing information, limited quantities, or problems with the chosen payment mechanism. In certain circumstances, we may require additional information or need to verify information before accepting your order. The receipt of an e-mail order confirmation does not constitute the acceptance of an order or a confirmation of an offer to sell.

https://academy.custhelp.com/app/answer ... n#Ordering

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

montgomery wrote:I don't have a dog in the fight, but Academy website T&C very clear that they have no duty to fill the order let alone honor the order:

3. Ordering

When you place an order on our Websites, Academy will not charge you for your order until we receive authorization for your payment method. Academy reserves the right, at any time after receipt of your order, to accept, decline, or cancel your order, or any portion thereof, even after your receipt of an order confirmation. We also reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to limit the quantity of items ordered, refuse service to any customer, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, and/or prohibit sales to dealers. Some situations where we may cancel your order include inaccuracies or errors in product or pricing information, limited quantities, or problems with the chosen payment mechanism. In certain circumstances, we may require additional information or need to verify information before accepting your order. The receipt of an e-mail order confirmation does not constitute the acceptance of an order or a confirmation of an offer to sell.

https://academy.custhelp.com/app/answer ... n#Ordering
I don't think the caveat applies after you've paid, IE credit card charged. IANAL but what I recall from business law class it's a contract. If you order or bring an item to a POS to pay for it (consideration) a merchant can accept or decline the consideration (payment). Once they've accepted payment it's their duty to fulfill the contract. In other words a done deal and for the merchant to not follow through (deliver) is breach of contract. Some one correct me if I'm mistaken. I had Academy do this very thing to me and also Cabela's did it to me on the Vortex scope. I called Academy when it happened and got the run around, same thing on Cabala's. It's not worth my time to go any further for resolution.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

I call these things “luck of the draws” and tend not to get overly exercised about it. If my local grocer runs an ad saying “l lb of apples, 5¢”, and I run down there to buy apples and they are all sold out, I might be disappointed, but I don’t think they owe me anything. The need to be able to process online transactions in real time is at odds with the need to be able to tell a customer, “sorry, we’re out, but we didn’t realize it until just now .... so we’ll refund your money and call it good.”

If a business ONLY sells online, then it has a much easier time of keeping its inventory numbers valid, so that when the last one sells, the next purchase attempt gets a message saying, ‘sorry, we just sold out of this item’, so that you don’t end up getting your card charged, and then refunded.

But when a large corporation (A) does business online, and (B) has multiple [large] retail outlets, each one having multiple cash registers, and (C) may transfer inventory between individual stores, as well as between the warehouses and the stores.....with a certain amount of inventory in transition on a truck somewhere at all times....it is almost impossible to keep the online inventory accurate. There’s ALWAYS going to be some delay between what the online sales dept believes is available in inventory, and what is actually available. Most ads I’ve seen for “Black Friday” or other special event sales, contain the words “while supplies last” in their wording. Academy is not my favorite (or least favorite) store, but to give them the boot because they couldn’t fulfill a transaction over two buckets of .22 LR? Nah, that takes too much effort to be that PO’d over .22 LR. At least they gave him his money back right away, without making him jump through hoops to get it.

I do understand being disappointed at missing out on a sale, but unless someone was deliberately rude to me on the phone and made me jump through hoops to get the money charged back to my card, I’m not going to say “I’ll NEVER shop there again!!!” Frankly, I think that is not a mature attitude .....but that’s just me. There will always be another sale, if not there, then somewhere else. I’m not aware of the Vortex scope deal you guys both mentioned, but it must have been a good deal to get so much interest.

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The problem is that if I need something, and Academy (or anyone else) accepts my order via an order confirmation, then I will not buy it someplace else. That could result in a delay in most cases, or in the case of the OP, the loss of an opportunity to take advantage of a really good rebate from Remington (as noted, other vendors had these rounds in stock). Academy's screw up here ended up costing folks real $$ to the tune of $90 assuming they wanted the same ammo and bought it elsewhere after the rebate period ended.

I seem to remember a concept called "detrimental reliance" or something similar, from my Business Law class. I'm sure Academy's lawyers would just argue that no one should rely on their promise to actually deliver what you ordered, because they have told you in the fine print that they are not reliable and won't be held to their promises. But I'm not sure that type of messaging is a great way to win new customers, or to keep existing ones.

IANAL, but wouldn't this fine print also imply that you have no contract with Academy, and can therefore cancel your order at no penalty, right up until the time that they do deliver? After all, they are telling you that they have no binding commitment up to that point.

apostate

Post by apostate »

The Annoyed Man wrote: If my local grocer runs an ad saying “l lb of apples, 5¢”, and I run down there to buy apples and they are all sold out, I might be disappointed, but I don’t think they owe me anything.
Sure. That's what happened to me Black Friday. I went to my local Academy because the website said the BoBs were in stock there. When I arrived, they were out of stock. However, the website still showed them available for sale at that store, which indicates a problem with their inventory system.

However, that's not what BBYC happened to him or her. They placed an order which the merchant accepted, and their credit card was charged for the sale. Then Academy backed out of the sale for some reason. If it's true Academy won't honor the contract, I can't blame BBYC for refusing to do business with a company they can't trust.

Return to “Off-Topic”