Bottom Handguns!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bottom Handguns!

Post by allisji »

I don't mean to pile on. I have owned three Taurus firearms. One is a .22 pump rifle that my dad gave me for my 18th birthday 15 years ago. It's a terrific plinking gun. The other two: a PT840 which performed reliably, but was noticeably lower quality (I sold to my brother for his first semi-auto), and a TCP380 which I still pocket carry on a regular basis but has been back to Taurus for repair to have the trigger replaced after a broken sear or something of that type of failure while range firing.

My dad and my brother have also owned Taurus firearms. My dad to my knowledge has not had reliability issues with them, however my brother has a polymer .38 spl +P revolver that had a bad failure at the range when the cylinder became so jammed that it wouldn't turn and had to be opened using a rubber hammer.

I don't plan to obtain any other Taurus firearms, but if I did come across a great deal on a stainless steel revolver, it would possibly be an exception for me as I have no revolvers to my name, and have wanted something in the .357 magnum caliber for some time.

Also, I know that they aren't much into the rifle business anymore, but I do like my .22 rifle, and would possibly consider buying another hunting/sporting rifle from them if I found one that suited my fancy.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

A part time FFL I know sold some Diamondbacks, I believe when they first came out.

Every one he sold resulted in a highly dissatisfied customer.

He came to the conclusion that they were junk and stopped selling them.

********************************************************************************************************
I don't know the brand, but an elderly lady friend still has a small .22 revolver that her
husband bought for her maybe 30 years ago.

I fired it at a paper target at the range, distance about 7 yards (21 feet). Don't ask
me how it was so bad, but I would fire at the target and the bullets would not land
anywhere on the paper!! That gun was not fit for self defense. Sheesh!

*****************************************************************************************************************
S&W Model 39 and 59 crunchentickers

Please define....that's a new one on me.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Forgot one!

I picked one up on a whim, and it was inexpensive enough to be a beater pistol. Never again...the pistol? A SCCY CPX-2. I had to send in the slide assembly & mags already. Thing wouldn't go in to battery. They sent me two slide assemblies & 4 mags back. Still junk.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:S&W Model 39 and 59 crunchentickers

Jeff Cooper dubbed double-action/single-action autos “crunchentickers” because the first double-action shot is a crunch and the follow-up single-action shots are ticks. Faced with this kind of mechanical derangement, the shooter usually tosses his first shot somewhere out in left field, notwithstanding the fact that, as Max Joseph often says, It’s the first shot that counts.
http://jeffcoopersfivefactsof1911life.blogspot.com/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Anything made by Llama or Bauer.
Bauer handguns were cheap little .25 semiautos that were usually chrome plated. Made in Michigan for a time.
Llamas were originally made in Spain but I think they are now made in the Philippines. They are knockoffs of popular designs made with poor quality steel to low standards.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Pawpaw wrote:
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:S&W Model 39 and 59 crunchentickers

Jeff Cooper dubbed double-action/single-action autos “crunchentickers” because the first double-action shot is a crunch and the follow-up single-action shots are ticks. Faced with this kind of mechanical derangement, the shooter usually tosses his first shot somewhere out in left field, notwithstanding the fact that, as Max Joseph often says, It’s the first shot that counts.
http://jeffcoopersfivefactsof1911life.blogspot.com/
I do carry a DA/SA Sig P239. The first shot is the 10LB long trigger pull, the follow up shots are SA 4LB triggers.

When I practice with it I practice first shots most of the time. If not practicing first shots, I am generally doing double taps. I rarely ever shoot an entire magazine without decocking it 3 or 4 times and bringing it back to my chest so that I can practice pointing and acquiring my target.

Of course, even doing this, my first shot is often drifts low as I tend to let the muzzle dip while pulling that long trigger.

Whether carrying DA/SA or not, it is always important to devote a good deal of training on the first shot. When I am at the range almost everyone else at the range is just shooting follow-up after follow-up until their magazine is empty. While they usually have much better groupings than I do, I am more concerned about training to use my weapon and hitting the target than having great groupings.

The drill that I use is one that Tom Estep taught at his LTC course. It's simple, it abides by range rules, and it helps me to practice getting on target from a ready position and firing first shots and double taps.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Off-Topic”