Do you ride a motorcycle, what kind and how do you carry

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Do you ride a motorcycle, what kind and how do you carry

Post by RPBrown »

Just as the subject line says:
Do you ride a motorcycle? Yes
What kind?--HD Ultra Classic (sofa on wheels as my wife says)
How do you carry?--My carry style does not change, either OWB or IWB. I was glad that OC passed because my shirt would always tend to blow up over my EDC. Stopped at a red light one day and LEO pulls next to me, looks at me, rolls his window down and I thought well here we go. But his comment was hey buddy, your second amendment is showing
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

txhighlander

Re: Do you ride a motorcycle, what kind and how do you carry

Post by txhighlander »

Yes, 04 HD ultra classic. Owb most of the time, I do wear a riding jacket though. I have thought about a shoulder holster but have yet to pull the trigger on one.
Truth against the world

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

BMW R90/6
Openly, right side
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've had my CHL through three motorcycles now. A Bandit 1200S, Hayabusa, and currently a Goldwing. I have carried on all, but not OC yet, while riding. With the first two, carry was off body in a tank bag. The motorcycle gear I wore was not conducive to CC and I didn't really like or have a decent shoulder rig yet nor did I have a narrower 1911 to put in one for those first two bikes.

Now, with the Goldwing, CC in my normal carry mode, OWB would be easier to do and IIRC I have once, but I'm not completely sure about that one time either. However, since I also now have a 1911 and a decent shoulder rig, when I do carry while riding that is the method I normally employ and it is fairly comfortable.

Just a friendly reminder, my wife does not really like OC very much, so I don't push that button when we're together. And I'm not terribly comfortable with it either. I've expressed my misgivings about OC while riding in other threads in that basically I don't want to be "swatted" and have some yahoo call the police on me saying that I pointed my gun at them and since I'm OCing they would have been able to give them a description of that gun. Maybe that's a little paranoia, IDK. Either way, I'm not an ATGATT kind of rider, but I do wear my jacket most of the time and It is not suitable for OC. So, the only time I could OC, while riding, would be in the warmer times if I don't wear the motorcycle jacket or pants.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

HD Ultra Limited, OWB Ruger LC9S, but under my leather jacket.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I rode for 35 years Moto Guzzi and BMW. My last bike was a BMW R1200 GS (2012) but had to stop riding due to a health condition.
I carried in the tank bag and side pocket of my riding gear.
I would not recomand carrying IWB, shoulder or perhaps appendix. In case of an accident you'd have the gun directly on your body and the impact would cause more damage then without, just like falling on a rock.
OWB with a stable and rigid holster should work fine and issaver in my opinion.
I personally carried my trustworthy H&K P30 in a condom to keep it dry but still functional without removing rupper. I was riding long distance in all weather conditions though.
Ride safety goes first and think about your rip cage going down with a shoulder holster.
A motorcycle riding police officer may be able to give more and better advise to this topic.

Ride safe you all and keep the rubber down.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Yes and Yes
Most days I will ride a Honda VTR1000F
But some days my wifes Ninja 650R
Occasionally a Suzuki DRZ485 Super Moto
And then any number of possible rides belonging to a few customers who prefer extended test rides after work is done so there are less chances of a comeback.
Normal EDC is tuned Springfield XD Sub compact .45 in a Kydex holster made by a local guy 19Charlie Tactical https://www.facebook.com/19CharlieTactical/
OWB, under a shirt and riding Jacket
If the location at stopping point warrants it, I might carry IWB in a crossbreed Supertuck, but since open carry passed I don't think Ive done that at all.
I don't open carry, but I don't secret carry either
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I ride a Honda Shadow Aero 750.

I open carry a Glock 19 in a retention holster on my right hip.

I've gotten thumbs up, conversation at lights, and a couple people taking pictures of me. Haven't had any negative interactions related to carrying.

I switched to open carrying on the bike once it was legal because there was actually an incident in which I wanted to be able to get to my gun and I was unable to do so, because it was IWB under my zipped up jacket. Some guy was screaming at his girlfriend and weaving all over the road doing about 20 mph. I got past him quickly, and I guess he somehow took offense to that; I still don't know how. He pulled up next to me at the next light with his window down and a gun in his hand, asking what my problem was. I told him I didn't have a problem and I was just trying to get to work, nothing more. He accepted that and sped off. Had he done otherwise, I would have liked to have had the option of diving for cover and drawing my gun. With it under my jacket, that was an option I didn't have. Since then, my openly carried gun has deterred one person that I know of from committing a crime against me.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I ride a Honda VTX and usually carry IWB.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I ride an '08 Harley Ultra Classic (my "Winnebago bike" as the wife calls it). We do and have ridden it pretty much all over the country, except on the Left and Right coasts. (My avatar pic is me on that bike, on the Tail of the Dragon).

On the bike I normally wear the regular Harley riding uniform (boots, jeans, t-shirt {with or with out leather vest}), and I normally wear my t-shirt tucked into my jeans. I usually open carry at the waist at the 3:00 position when I'm on the bike, for a couple of reasons. One, as LucasMcCain stated above, it can be pretty difficult to access a concealed firearm while you're on the bike. And second, I have found that with an untucked t-shirt, said t-shirt tends to get blown up around my chest while at highway speed (not a pretty sight!). When we sometimes ride to a state where OC is not legal, then I do untuck the t-shirt to go to CC and do the best I can like that. In cold weather or rain, I still carry OWB, but it will be under my jacket and/or rain gear.

As to C-Dub's concerns about getting "swatted", that's certainly possible, but I don't normally get worried about someone giving me problems because they happen to see a gun on me while on the road. I'm a pretty passive driver when in traffic on the bike. I tend to try to keep pace with the majority of traffic, and also try to keep a lot of open space around me, and I usually stay in the right-hand lane, where most other people won't even be able to see that I'm carrying, even when open carrying.

That's all been working for me pretty well so far.

Everybody ride safe! :txflag:

SkullCop

Post by SkullCop »

Yes i ride. 09 HD Ultra Classic. Open carry on the right side. The wife can access as well.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Gold Wing, here. When I got my chl, I wondered about any complications for having a gun and a bike in close proximity.

Naturally, there’s nothing wrong with that at all. I got over my bashfulness pretty quick.

I carry IWB at 3 o’clock, on or off the bike.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

'03 HD Road King 100 Year Anniversary Police edition.

The one time I carried on it, it was in SOB position under my jacket.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

(A) Not currently (haven’t owned one in 22 years), but would like to own another one.

(B) I have fantasies of a R1200GS, but if I buy another bike, it will likely be something more low slung since it will be easier for me to get on and off it......so maybe some kind of Harley dresser.

(C) As to carry method, it would most likely be either OWB, or shoulder holster. OC or CC? Depends on what I’m wearing, and the weather. I like the last half of what E.Marquez said, “I don’t secret carry”. I do OC sometimes....not opposed to it....but I change things up frequently depending on what I’m up to.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I ride a 2014 Kawasaki KLR650 right now. It has changed many times over the past 45 years.

I generally carry in a belt slide holster on the right hip, with a jacket or vest over it for concealment. My carry hasn't changed much, except when in uniform it was only covered when the weather required it.

As an aside, one of my fantasy bikes (which I cannot get now that I retired) was a BMW R1200RTP. They even have a rack for an AR or a shotgun mount on the bikes now. I haven't noticed anyone carrying one on their bike yet, but BMW supports it. I think Harley offers a rack for a long gun that sticks up from one of the saddlebags too.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Off-Topic”