What was your very best Christmas Gun Wise?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

What was your very best Christmas Gun Wise?

Post by puma guy »

I developed an interest and yearning for firearms at an early age. I can't put my finger on what prompted that because while my dad had several guns he didn't hunt or shoot. He did so before the war, but as far as I know not so much afterwards. My twin brother and I begged for a shotgun when we were about 10. If I got one at all I was expecting maybe a single shot .410. Lo and behold were were given JC Higgins 12 ga pumps with Cutts Compensators and a set chokes. My interest and receipt of the gun prompted my dad to take us on several waterfowl hunts afterwards. My favorite Christmas! Not just the gun, but also for the fact we got to hunt with him.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What was your very best Christmas Gun Wise?

Post by Lena »

Also an early age was given a single shot Sears 22 and a Fox double sxs 410. I wish I still had them. I do still have several od dad's guns and his sxs Parker 12 ga
Stay Safe

talltex

Post by talltex »

I had worked and paid for a Marlin .22 auto (looked like the M1 .30 cal carbine) and a J.C. Higgins 12 ga. Pump by the time I was in 7th grade (back in the 60's). My Dad had let me carry and use his S&W model 34 .22 Kit Gun while roaming up and down the river running coon traps and hunting and fishing, but my first "Christmas gun" was in 9th grade: a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and an RCBS reloading press with a set of .357 dies, powder, primers and bullets. That was was the only gun I ever received as a gift. I still have it and a few years later killed a 8 point buck with it. I just realized I don't think I've fired it in about 30 years as I acquired a number of other S&W and Colt wheel guns and a bunch of Colt .45 1911 models. BUT--I still load all my handguns and rifles with that same RCBS set-up. :thumbs2:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

1965. My grand dad got me a Sears single shot .22 and a single shot 20 ga. Although I had been shooting his rifles for a couple of years, these were mine. We went out after dinner Christmas day and sent several rounds through each. What I would give to be able to do that with him again
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

stars200

Post by stars200 »

It was my grandfather that got me interested in hunting and guns. I grew up in rural Missouri and remember going quail hunting with him and my dad at around the age of 6 or so. I remember one hunt where I was packing a cap gun that shot little yellow rubber BB's and our bird dog looking for the bird when I fired one of the caps. As I got older was able to use his .22lr/.410 under/over combination to learn to shoot and shoot birds. When I got little bigger I was able to use his Ithaca model 37 pump 20 gauge. That was his favorite gun but he let me use it and he used another. Christmas of '77 when 12, he gave me my own Ithaca 20 gauge with an improved cylinder barrel and a full choke barrel as well. Thinking back, I am sure that present was both because he felt I was ready and so he could use his again. Another reason on this model was that I am right handed but left eye dominant of course back then did know know what that meant. I was just more comfortable shooting left handed and the gun ejected shells from the bottom. He had the safety switched to left handed before giving it to me.

He managed an MFA location and knew all of the area farmers so we always had a place to bird hunt. I also got to tag along with him and his buddies when they went pheasant hunting in Iowa. I remember him telling me after I got upset about getting a few minor scratches on the stock, those marks were the memories of our past hunting trips. I still have that shotgun and I am just as proud of it today as I was then, even though it mostly sits in the gun safe. I wish he was still here to be able to go hunting with again.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I have never had a gun christmas. I usually just get what I want when I want/need it.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

My favorite, and only, "gun Christmas" was when I was nine, my grandparents got me a Crosman 760 bb/pellet rifle. My grandfather took me out to a nearby lake, and showed me how to use it, sight picture, firing stance, and of course the rules of gun safety. I had that gun until my early 20s when the pump finally gave out. I miss PawPaw more than the gun, but I still have the memories.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I never received a firearm as a Christmas present, but I was allowed to give my granddaughters a 22 cricket 3 years ago, I also surprised my sons with AR-15s. I don't know who was more excited, the giftees or the gifter.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Getting a 410 in 1963 at 6 years old to go hunting with my Dad. He had the stock and barrel shortened for my size. Then giving that same gun to my oldest grandson 50 years later at Christmas. So it was actually two happy christmases.
I have 3 grandchildren but by their mom's wishes only one is allowed near guns or knives of any kind.
Kinda odd I have twin daughters both teachers, one will not allow her two children near my guns,knives or shop and the other is a single mom has her LTC, bought her son a 22 cricket at 6 yo and was as happy as me when I gave him my 410.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

twomillenium wrote:I never received a firearm as a Christmas present, but I was allowed to give my granddaughters a 22 cricket 3 years ago, I also surprised my sons with AR-15s. I don't know who was more excited, the giftees or the gifter.
My post was about guns you received, but you have made a point. Watching my grand daughters opening their Cricketts I was probably more excited than them. I have more .22 rifles and single shot .410 SG just waiting for them to get a little older. I have 4 year and 1 year old grandsons that will get theirs, too. Actually I gave my son-in-law a vintage Marlin bolt action .22 rifle when my first grandson was born. He's breaking in with a Daisy Red Ryder BB rifle.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

puma guy wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I never received a firearm as a Christmas present, but I was allowed to give my granddaughters a 22 cricket 3 years ago, I also surprised my sons with AR-15s. I don't know who was more excited, the giftees or the gifter.
My post was about guns you received, but you have made a point. Watching my grand daughters opening their Cricketts I was probably more excited than them. I have more .22 rifles and single shot .410 SG just waiting for them to get a little older. I have 4 year and 1 year old grandsons that will get theirs, too. Actually I gave my son-in-law a vintage Marlin bolt action .22 rifle when my first grandson was born. He's breaking in with a Daisy Red Ryder BB rifle.
I think this means we have been around the block a few times. :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

1999, I gave my dad a Colt Competition HBAR. I've received 3 Christmas guns but the look on my old man's face made me happier than any gun he ever gave me.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My only gun Christmas so far was when I gave my daughter her 20ga O/U last year. It was great seeing her face when she opened it and really fun to take her to shoot it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Duplicate
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

It was 1964 give or take a year. I was on a jr. rifle team shooting 50 foot 4 position gallery with a .22. I was getting better month by month. Dad got a used Winchester Model 52 for me that Christmas. Heavy barrel with globe front sight and Weaver rear peep sight. Stock was a little nicked up, but boy was it a tack driver. It always shot better than I did. Sold it years later when it was just collecting dust.

Recounting the story reminds me how much I miss my dad all this years after his passing.

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Return to “Off-Topic”