Not your average dilemma

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Not your average dilemma

Post by jmorris »

I was talking to an older gentleman (I'm 63 so think 80s) who I'll call OG. We get onto the subject of firearms and OG related to me a situation he may be facing. He has a friend in his late 60s whose mother is 90 something, and no kids evidently. They are both ill and not expected to last long. OG may be the executor of the friend's estate. Some 30 years ago the friend inherited a house. In the house was a room that contained at least 100 firearms, many if not most from WWII or earlier* to the 60s, and who knows how much ammo. Being totally uninterested in firearms the friend did the only sensible thing. He put a lock on the door**, shut it, and rarely went into it. Now OG is thinking he's going to have to inventory and dispose of everything. But that's not the real gotcha. The firearms were all bought pre-60s and there's the possibility that there's at least one automatic firearm in there.

My suggestion was to find a dealer near there (Virginia) who specializes in (or at least knowledgeable in) collectible firearms. But first, just to insure there's a good inventory, I offered to drive up and do a 100% inventory for just two, maybe three, firearms of my choice. No, no, not an imposition, happy to do it.

*He did say they know there are at least a couple Lugers and WWII items in the room.
**Yes, totally unsecured in a unlocked bedroom.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Not your average dilemma

Post by flechero »

Wow, please take pics and post when appropriate! I'd love to see the collection!! (and sure others would) Please, Lord, let them have been oiled and stored properly!!!

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Need any help? wink, wink

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

You're right to be concerned, as the task of inventorying everything, especially to a non-gun guy, would be tremendous. Even to those of use in the know it would likely take some time to research and fully understand exactly what you're looking at. All that said I think you're offer is a generous one, given that you have a vested interest in seeing the firearms make it to a good home(s). While a local outfit might be interested in the collection, it will likely because there is profit to be made, not because they want to ensure the guns go to those that will appreciate it them.

If it comes to it I would love to see the guns offered up for sale here or on a similar forum where those of us without big $$$s might have a chance to own pieces of history (as these sound to be) that I'm sure they'd treasure, probably much to the original owner's pleasure.

One word of caution concerning full autos. If they were never registered under NFA rules, either when they came back, or more likely during one of the amnesty periods, there's no registering them now. The best that could be hoped for is for them to be turned in to the ATF as "newly discovered" during the inventory process. They'll ultimately be destroyed :cryin if so. Even if they were registered it's likely that your friend was/is not on the trust (if they're held in one) or that he was not in line to inherit them if he was not family/heir to the original owner's estate. Taking possession of them via a inheriting a house probably won't pass muster with the ATF, especially given the amount of time that's passed. If I can be of any assistance regarding further NFA questions regarding full auto/short barreled rifles or shotguns, or suppressors (if there are any) please let me know. I'm going to PM you the contact info of a very knowledgable NFA lawyer you or OG should contact if/when you find out about the existence of any NFA items.

And yes, let me know as well if you need any help. :mrgreen:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

There is an outfit I have heard only good about, it's been a while but I believe they are called Dury's Guns. My understanding is they can sell the entire collection on consignment for the estate and maximize the profit. I'm not 100% sure that is who I recall hearing so much about, but I'm "nine nines" (99.9999999%) sure.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

G.A. Heath wrote:There is an outfit I have heard only good about, it's been a while but I believe they are called Dury's Guns. My understanding is they can sell the entire collection on consignment for the estate and maximize the profit. I'm not 100% sure that is who I recall hearing so much about, but I'm "nine nines" (99.9999999%) sure.
Dury's is out of San Antonio, and they do indeed buy entire collections, don't know about the consignment piece though. I think for sizable collections it's easier for them to but them outright and they resell them for their profit. Not knocking them, but if it were me I'd take on the task of selling them myself because 1) I would likely get a much better return selling them individually, and 2) I'd want to know that the guns were going to someone that would appreciate them.

All that said the appeal is there to sell everything at once, and I understand it. But it behoves the seller to understand exactly what they have before selling in either scenario as there can be some very valuable pieces in these old collections.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

G.A. Heath wrote:There is an outfit I have heard only good about, it's been a while but I believe they are called Dury's Guns. My understanding is they can sell the entire collection on consignment for the estate and maximize the profit. I'm not 100% sure that is who I recall hearing so much about, but I'm "nine nines" (99.9999999%) sure.
I can recommend Dury's from personal experience with them dating back to 1987. They were a small gunshop back then, but always treated me and everyone I know right. I last dealt with them back around 2004 or so when they let me go through a large barrel of traded in SAPD pistols to see if my old duty weapon was there for sale. I found it and they sold it to me at a good price. I then gave it to my son as a wedding present and he still has it.

Looking at their web site, they have grown quite a bit since I last dealt with them. I would strongly suggest calling them for any advice on inventorying the room and possibly disposing of the weapons later. I would bet they would treat the owner right (which may mean I don't get to buy anything since they would want real market price for him).
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

As OG is a dog park acquaintance I doubt I'm going to get the chance to actually do the inventory but he has my card and may actually talk to his friend about the need to do an inventory now.

SigM4, that was exactly my concern about the full autos. I'm hoping for him that they were registered but I'm doubting it very much. I'll pass the info on to him next time I see him. As for Dury's, I'm quite familiar with them (I'm in SA, sorta of) but the firearms are in Virginia.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

If the NFA items are not registered then the only option is to turn them into the ATF. There is nothing that could be done now for non registered NFA items.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

mrvmax wrote:If the NFA items are not registered then the only option is to turn them into the ATF. There is nothing that could be done now for non registered NFA items.
That is not entirely the case IIRC. I believe you can donate them to law enforcement, who can register and use them, thereby getting a tax write off for the estate. Another option I understand is to donate them to a museum (It may have to be one owned by the military or a law enforcement agency). They can also be stripped for parts and the receivers turned over to the ATF while the parts are sold to earn money for the estate.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

dino9832

Post by dino9832 »

If you post any pictures, make sure there is no GPS coordinates embedded in the picture.
It's probably not a good idea to disclose the actual location online.

The easiest way on a cellphone is to turn the "location" setting on the phone off. Then take the picture.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

G.A. Heath wrote:
mrvmax wrote:If the NFA items are not registered then the only option is to turn them into the ATF. There is nothing that could be done now for non registered NFA items.
That is not entirely the case IIRC. I believe you can donate them to law enforcement, who can register and use them, thereby getting a tax write off for the estate. Another option I understand is to donate them to a museum (It may have to be one owned by the military or a law enforcement agency). They can also be stripped for parts and the receivers turned over to the ATF while the parts are sold to earn money for the estate.
They need to have an attorney contact the NFA branch to see if any NFA items are registered and go from there.

Return to “Off-Topic”