Hawaii: False alarm on missile strike was Trumps's fault

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Hawaii: False alarm on missile strike was Trumps's fault

Post by philip964 »

The false alarm in Hawaii revealed an abdication of leadership by Trump - The Washington Post - www.washingtonpost.com
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 4C4467E891

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Hawaii: False alarm on missile strike was Trumps's fault

Post by Beiruty »

It is an embarrassment for US NORAD.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

Beiruty wrote:It is an embarrassment for US NORAD.
My understanding was this failure occurred at the state level, not the Fed / PACCOM / NORAD. Apparently some joker hit the wrong button triggering the alerts. I could be mistaken as I haven't seen the news today.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

strogg

Post by strogg »

Makes sense. Makes total sense. It's all Trump's fault. It's always his fault. Obama Akbar.

On a serious note, I wonder if anyone ever questioned how the system works. Did the console controlled by the fat fingered employee talk back to the missile warning system, NORAD computers, and thus POTUS when the alert went out? Blah. It doesn't matter. No liberal's going to read this anyway. And even if they do, they don't care. Truth and logic is overrated.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I'm willing to bet that NORAD had nothing to do with this.

The stories I've seen have conspicuously avoided reporting any responsibility for this, except for single mention of "someone hit the wrong button." The fact that accountability is unaccountably missing certainly indicates to me that it doesn't look good for the Democrats...so BLAME TRUMP.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

strogg wrote:Makes sense. Makes total sense. It's all Trump's fault. It's always his fault. Obama Akbar.

On a serious note, I wonder if anyone ever questioned how the system works. Did the console controlled by the fat fingered employee talk back to the missile warning system, NORAD computers, and thus POTUS when the alert went out? Blah. It doesn't matter. No liberal's going to read this anyway. And even if they do, they don't care. Truth and logic is overrated.
No you've got it wrong. It's George W. Bush's fault. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

ELB wrote:I'm willing to bet that NORAD had nothing to do with this.

The stories I've seen have conspicuously avoided reporting any responsibility for this, except for single mention of "someone hit the wrong button." The fact that accountability is unaccountably missing certainly indicates to me that it doesn't look good for the Democrats...so BLAME TRUMP.
It is NORAD responsibility to the issue the Alert, otherwise, if it is under full control of State Agency with no Authentication and Verification for the source issuing the alert, it is does not make sense. Even under local for testing procedure, NORAD has to be in the loop. NORAD should have the ability and capability to issue the alert to any area for any US territory with no local human intervention.

A single human error should not activate the Alert System.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

pbwalker wrote:
My understanding was this failure occurred at the state level, not the Fed / PACCOM / NORAD. Apparently some joker hit the wrong button triggering the alerts. I could be mistaken as I haven't seen the news today.
You’re correct that it was done by a Hawaiian state agency, but the alert was no accident. Apparently, it required a 2-step authentication to initiate it, so the act was deliberate. But blaming Trump? That’s just weak sauce.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote:
strogg wrote:Makes sense. Makes total sense. It's all Trump's fault. It's always his fault. Obama Akbar.

No you've got it wrong. It's George W. Bush's fault. :evil2:
Actually, it’s his daughters’ fault. Oh, and his mom’s too. It is ANYbody’s fault but the fault of an incompetent democrat state government.

Alleged actor Jim Carey politicized the event by making a non-existent connection:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Ok. The conspiracy side is saying that it's Trump's fault because it was a ballistic missile launch that was successfully shot down and the Feds have decided to say it was human error to avoid going to war with N. Korea.

I'm going with government incompetence.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: You’re correct that it was done by a Hawaiian state agency, but the alert was no accident. Apparently, it required a 2-step authentication to initiate it, so the act was deliberate. But blaming Trump? That’s just weak sauce.
So somebody hit the wrong button TWICE? :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

strogg

Post by strogg »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: You’re correct that it was done by a Hawaiian state agency, but the alert was no accident. Apparently, it required a 2-step authentication to initiate it, so the act was deliberate. But blaming Trump? That’s just weak sauce.
So somebody hit the wrong button TWICE? :evil2:
Maybe the user interface was absolutely garbage? It's a possibility. That reminds me of a big whoops I did one time.

I was doing some development work at my company, and I needed the authentication code to access our primary credit card processor's back end. Seeing as how it was late on a Friday afternoon, I decided to log into the processor's web portal rather than asking around, since most people have already checked out for the day. A couple pages later, I found the webpage to view the authentication code. It presented me (2-step authentication here) with a challenge question for me to access it. Fine. So I did. I got the code, put it in my password vault, and went on my merry way.

Then I learned later, buried in fine print somewhere on that web page, contained the text that effectively tells me that a new code gets generated every time I open that page. Uh oh... that code is the same one our company's production payment portal uses. I effectively cut off our customers from paying, well, anything. So all hands on deck, our team manged to fix it after I gave them the new code, but not without significant downtime. I subsequently learned that my department director did the exact same thing a few months before. Then a week after my mishap, my manager calls me while I'm on my vacation. Guess what he did? Haha.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
You’re correct that it was done by a Hawaiian state agency, but the alert was no accident. Apparently, it required a 2-step authentication to initiate it, so the act was deliberate. But blaming Trump? That’s just weak sauce.
Yay fake news! This morning (or last night, I forget), the news said that the state of Hawaii *just* implemented 2 factor. As if it wasn't in place already.

But yeah, blaming Trump is just some opportunistic garbage.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Lois Lerner's data security and records keeping activities are, however, wholly separate from Obama.

flechero

Post by flechero »

philip964 wrote:Ok. The conspiracy side is saying that it's Trump's fault because it was a ballistic missile launch that was successfully shot down and the Feds have decided to say it was human error to avoid going to war with N. Korea.

I'm going with government incompetence.

If it was real and we shot it down, I think Trump would be using the success story to prove he's keeping us safe! Plus, each time a test missile launched, it's widely reported worldwide...

Return to “Off-Topic”