Hawaii: False alarm on missile strike was Trumps's fault

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Hawaii: False alarm on missile strike was Trumps's fault

Post by Beiruty »

I would like know what was the reaction of the defense officials in NK, IRAN, Russia, and China
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

3rd Option: it was an intentional bogus alert to make population of Hawaii recognize how unprepared they are if NK really does fire a missile at them......and encourage them to prep and get their act together.

Yeah, I don't believe that one either; it's far too logical and selfless an act for politicians to contemplate, much less actually execute......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:3rd Option: it was an intentional bogus alert to make population of Hawaii recognize how unprepared they are if NK really does fire a missile at them......and encourage them to prep and get their act together.

Yeah, I don't believe that one either; it's far too logical and selfless an act for politicians to contemplate, much less actually execute......
Very plausible that those who manning system knew that the population has 0 knowledge what to do in case of real attack, whether by traditional Ballistic Missiles let alone NBC warfare, thus they decided to do the unthinkable out of duty to their people.
Beiruty,

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

Fox News was describing the interface this morning, it's a drop down menu and the choices both imply "test" completely stupid! oh, and nothing was said about two people being needed to do it. Who approved this system???
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

Rush Limbaugh postulated that it was an act by a lone government employee on purpose to make President Trump look bad and to forward an agenda that Trump will get us all killed.

The Pope seems to think we are very close to nuclear war.

If you notice all of a sudden Kim is playing all nice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

philip964 wrote:Rush Limbaugh postulated that it was an act by a lone government employee on purpose to make President Trump look bad and to forward an agenda that Trump will get us all killed.

The Pope seems to think we are very close to nuclear war.

If you notice all of a sudden Kim is playing all nice.
1) play nice
2) feed me
3) No money unless you delete Nukes
4) Spoiled boy Tantrum dance
5) Fire couple more ICBM missiles
6) Stay low and suck the money when it is provided
7) No more money, Fire a Nuke
8) Goto 1)
Beiruty,

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I think its been a real good thing. A blessing for the whole country in disguise.

My 35 year old son, was adamant that after the blast occurred, if your car was driveable you needed to get into it and get as far away from Houston as possible. I said no. Get below grade and wait two weeks before coming out.

He said he would look it up.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

philip964 wrote:I think its been a real good thing. A blessing for the whole country in disguise.

My 35 year old son, was adamant that after the blast occurred, if your car was driveable you needed to get into it and get as far away from Houston as possible. I said no. Get below grade and wait two weeks before coming out.

He said he would look it up.
Make a plan to shelter for 2 weeks and defend your castle for 6-month from the droves of zombies.
If it is total war, just enjoy the show while you can.
Beiruty,

ELB

Post by ELB »

Beiruty wrote:
ELB wrote:I'm willing to bet that NORAD had nothing to do with this.

The stories I've seen have conspicuously avoided reporting any responsibility for this, except for single mention of "someone hit the wrong button." The fact that accountability is unaccountably missing certainly indicates to me that it doesn't look good for the Democrats...so BLAME TRUMP.
It is NORAD responsibility to the issue the Alert, otherwise, if it is under full control of State Agency with no Authentication and Verification for the source issuing the alert, it is does not make sense. Even under local for testing procedure, NORAD has to be in the loop. NORAD should have the ability and capability to issue the alert to any area for any US territory with no local human intervention.

A single human error should not activate the Alert System.
The problem was that someone — at the state level — issued the alert, and subsequent reporting has confirmed this. NORAD had nothing to do with this.
USAF 1982-2005

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

strogg wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Maybe the user interface was absolutely garbage? It's a possibility. That reminds me of a big whoops I did one time.

I was doing some development work at my company, and I needed the authentication code to access our primary credit card processor's back end. Seeing as how it was late on a Friday afternoon, I decided to log into the processor's web portal rather than asking around, since most people have already checked out for the day. A couple pages later, I found the webpage to view the authentication code. It presented me (2-step authentication here) with a challenge question for me to access it. Fine. So I did. I got the code, put it in my password vault, and went on my merry way.

Then I learned later, buried in fine print somewhere on that web page, contained the text that effectively tells me that a new code gets generated every time I open that page. Uh oh... that code is the same one our company's production payment portal uses. I effectively cut off our customers from paying, well, anything. So all hands on deck, our team manged to fix it after I gave them the new code, but not without significant downtime. I subsequently learned that my department director did the exact same thing a few months before. Then a week after my mishap, my manager calls me while I'm on my vacation. Guess what he did? Haha.
Many years ago I was head of development for a company that processed medical payments and did bill collections.
The owner of the company came in late in the day, about the time everyone was leaving and asked one of my employees to purge some data from the credit card processing records. These were records of payments that had been scheduled, but not processed yet.

I had a database set up for testing SQL scripts before we ran it on live data, but the owner said no. He wanted it ran immediately on the live data. He said he didn't want these payments processed (the automatic process ran between midnight and two, so there was plenty of time. But being the owner of the company my employee did exactly what he was told. He ran a delete clause against the live data.

Delete * from [CCPayments]

and hit enter.

There was a second part to that clause that should have gone with it, and my employee knew just as he hit enter he had screwed up.

It should have said

Delete * from [CCPayments] WHERE [Criteria for records we want to delete]

He had told the database to dump all scheduled payments. Some of these were recurring payments scheduled out for the duration of the payment plan.

He immediately called me and read off what he had typed in. I immediately called the IT department and asked them to restore the latest backup to my test database. I wanted to have a plan to fix the issue before I called my boss. Within 1 minute of hanging up with the IT manager, my boss was on the phone yelling wanting to know why I hadn't called him first, and telling me my employee was fired. I told him no the employee wasn't fired, he wanted to test the script and the owner pressured him into no doing it. My employee followed the protocols I had put in place, but was forced into deviating from them. The fault was on the owner. And I hadn't called him because I wanted to be able to tell him this is what happened, and this is how I'm going to fix it. Not just this is what happened. He suspended my employee for a week without pay, which caused my employee to set up interviews in his off time that week. Making us lose a good employee over a stupid, rectifiable mistake.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-rep-t ... 24221.html

The politics start. Trump needs to talk to Un.

stroo

Post by stroo »

This is typical Hawaii. I used to have to work with Hawaiians regularly. They were generally good to work with, but anytime they screwed up, they immediately managed to blame the mainland for it. I had a job opportunity out there once but turned it down in part because of that attitude.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Actual footage of the training session for Hawaiian emergency management employee who sent the message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJq_yFjKyRE

:biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”