Self driving vehicles creep me out. How will feds mandate purchases?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

clarionite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self driving vehicles creep me out. How will feds mandate purchases?

Post by clarionite »

I watched the last Fast and Furious movie last night. So I'm not thrilled about the technologies this morning. LOL

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I wouldn't ride in this, but then again I am not the target audience.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/12/ ... wheel.html
Do what you say you're gonna do.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

It's quite simple....Feds pass "The Motor Law"...reminds me of a certain song from a Canadian band...."Red Barchetta."

My view: "They can have my human-driving, petrol-burning noise machine/hot rod when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands!!!"

I've driven a car with driver assist features enabled...it's VERY freaky, to me, anyway! My Dad likes to "show off" how good his adaptive cruise control is...someday it's going to fail. Car mentioned is an MB 550SL Roadster. Driving it with the nannies off is a BLAST! Spirited driving with the nannies on creates confusion! I like cars with zero nannies - i.e. - the only input is from my eyes, ears, butt and the only control I have over the car is my two hands and two feet, i.e. - my brain is the traction control, ABS, etc. Driving is a "lost art" that is now relegated as a chore. Shameless plug - I am one of the track day/HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) instructors at Eagles Canyon Raceway (near Decatur, TX, an hour from DFW Airport). The track holds monthly Open Track Days where you drive your car and one of the instructors rides with you for the day, try it - you'll be HOOKED and the end result is a MUCH BETTER driver!

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I think about it from two angles. one, I like driving, motorsports of all kinds. It’s sad to me to see driving as a skill become obsolete. Two l, I think about it from a computer programming approach. most accident with an autonomous vehicle are caused by a human error in another car. So assuming this, the program may have to make a choice. It knows it’s about to crash, does it go on and crash with a car or does it bear o to the sidewalk. Can it predict and decide which approach kills less people and/or is it optimized to save the driver.

rotor

Post by rotor »

It has a long way to go for sure. Chinese ship crashes into Iran ship and both are supposed to have location transponders of some type which should have avoided this. Very scary.
On the other hand my wife has a 2012 Prius and this was my first intro into some automation. If you set the speed control and you are at highway speeds and the car in front of you suddenly brakes it does automatically slow you down. Works very well. Apparently (not tested yet) if it senses that you are about to crash it will break the car. No question backup camera is great. Never used the self park features. I think that the newer cars have mirrors that can detect traffic in your blind spot. Great features as far as I am concerned. Completely self driving, we have a way to go for that. Who knows though. I am still hoping I can find a stick shift vehicle so I can teach my grandson when he is old enough to drive a stick shift.

Beiruty, Uncle has made you purchase things before, Obamacare.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

It will be a cold day in hell before I let a computer control my truck's speed..........um..????

One thing I would mention is that traffic accidents kill and injure more people every year than guns and a LOT of other things. If an auto-drive system is successful and eliminates most of those accidents, it might be a good thing for most people, especially in denser urban and suburban areas. The rub will be when/if they mandate everyone use them.

Another point where it will be interesting is when they think they can use self driving semi-trucks. At some point, they are going to want to leave out the driver.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

PUCKER wrote:It's quite simple....Feds pass "The Motor Law"...reminds me of a certain song from a Canadian band...."Red Barchetta."

My view: "They can have my human-driving, petrol-burning noise machine/hot rod when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands!!!"

I've driven a car with driver assist features enabled...it's VERY freaky, to me, anyway! My Dad likes to "show off" how good his adaptive cruise control is...someday it's going to fail. Car mentioned is an MB 550SL Roadster. Driving it with the nannies off is a BLAST! Spirited driving with the nannies on creates confusion! I like cars with zero nannies - i.e. - the only input is from my eyes, ears, butt and the only control I have over the car is my two hands and two feet, i.e. - my brain is the traction control, ABS, etc. Driving is a "lost art" that is now relegated as a chore. Shameless plug - I am one of the track day/HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) instructors at Eagles Canyon Raceway (near Decatur, TX, an hour from DFW Airport). The track holds monthly Open Track Days where you drive your car and one of the instructors rides with you for the day, try it - you'll be HOOKED and the end result is a MUCH BETTER driver!
+1 :iagree:
NRA Life Member

comp73

Post by comp73 »

I look at this as a question of when, not if. Either the technology will become cheap enough to make it standard on a civic, cruze, corolla, etc, etc or the fed will just mandate it. After that, the insurance companies will just jack up the rates for self driving cars to the point that the average person can't afford it.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Think pilots of planes used auto-pilot or captains of ships?

Pssssst, they do...

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Abraham wrote:Think pilots of planes used auto-pilot or captains of ships?

Pssssst, they do...
I've used it while at sea (more for comfort than anything, I've always still been at the helm, easier to use that than making constant course corrections due to wind, current, ,waves, etc.)...however, a bit different than when there are cars next to, in front of, behind AND coming at you! :tiphat: i.e. - no way I'd use it while coming into/out of port or in a heavy traffic channel...although "self-docking" would be nice on those really, really "sporty" condition days! :biggrinjester:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I can tell the Honda Sensing Lane keep (auto-steering) at HW speed in NOT reliable.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

apostate

Post by apostate »

What makes you think the feds will mandate it?

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

apostate wrote:What makes you think the feds will mandate it?
"Safety"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

apostate wrote:What makes you think the feds will mandate it?
The Feds have never trusted the American citizen.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Off-Topic”