Advice from seasoned travelers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Advice from seasoned travelers

Post by mayor »

I'm leaving on a business trip tomorrow from DFW to California. It's been many years since I've been to the airport - last time was right after you had to remove your shoes and belt. I'm not carrying anything that I have to worry about - liquids, knives, handguns. Only one carry on containing my clothes and my meds, an iPad with charger, a cell phone with a charger, a jacket and a few items in my pockets - wallet, change purse and a rechargable flashlight. I'm not worried but would like some advice about anything that might make my boarding as stress free as possible or anything i might want to leave at home.

thanks!

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice from seasoned travelers

Post by strogg »

Yeah, just no bottled liquids, knives, or anything obviously a weapon. Also make sure your toiletries (toothpaste, deodorant, etc) are not aerosol and don't exceed 3 oz. Oh, and make sure you take your laptop out of the bag and into its own bin. Flashlight will be fine. I've always carried my Streamlight on me without issue.

DFW airport is very good and very quick. The most I've ever waited was 5 minutes. There are 2-3 TSA checkpoints per terminal (5 terminals), so things go very quickly. And if you fumble, don't worry. The agents there, at least at terminal A, are very kind. I've never had a single issue. Hell, one time a TSA agent went, "Nice XD cap. My wife has one of those guns. They're great!"

CA on the other hand... Hopefully you're arriving at a smaller airport. Bigger airports like SFO typically have a TSA line of 30-45 minutes. Or more. My record was an hour. Since then, I've never flown via SFO ever again. Not worth it. Also, my experience with CA TSA agents haven't been astonishingly great. Think of DFW as your practice run for the CA TSA agents. But as long as you're just being the regular Joe, you won't have an issue at either airport.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by pbwalker »

It may not help you now, but if you're going to Cali, avoid the major airports. If you're going to LA, try flying in to Burbank, Orange County, or the other smaller airports. LAX is a train wreck to be avoided at all costs. If you're going to the bay area, avoid SFO (as strogg said) and fly in to San Jose.

Depending on your age, you may not have to take your shoes and coat off. If you're going to be flying more and more, spend the $100 on Global Entry. It gets you TSA Precheck, and allows you to avoid the headaches of CBP when you get back stateside. It's good for 5 years.

I fly over 100k miles a year and can share any airport-specific tips and tricks if you're interested, as well as just travel tips. I've gotten to the point where I arrive at DEN 1 hour before departure and I still end up waiting to board. Smaller airports usually have me arriving 45 mins before.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

And here's a good laugh for you before your flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrICG1c1tWY

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

You will need to put your iPad in a separate bin when you go through x-ray. I also have to take my boots off even in the pre-check if I am wearing the ones with the metal shanks inside the sole.

Topic author
mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mayor »

pbwalker wrote:And here's a good laugh for you before your flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrICG1c1tWY

that's great and somewhat disturbing.

I'm arriving at Ontario International. Thanks. Everything except the video already relieved some early stress.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Ontario is (or at least used to be) a great smaller airport. I used to fly into and out of the LA area frequently. Ontario was my choice.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Pawpaw wrote:Ontario is (or at least used to be) a great smaller airport. I used to fly into and out of the LA area frequently. Ontario was my choice.
I love the smaller LA area airports. Not only for the convenience, but for the fun noise abatement take-off! Launch like a rocket up to ~3k AGL, throttle back to idle until you're over the ocean, then power back up to climb to cruising altitude. The Av geek in me loves it.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Something I do is empty my pockets while waiting in the security line and put the contents in a small pocket in my carry-on. I think it's more convenient than using the dog bowl. I pocket my wallet after going through, but I don't need my keys until I get home. When I do, I know exactly where to find my keys and parking stub. I hold my ID and boarding pass in my hand going through the scanner No problem with metal detectors or the new ones.

Maybe too late for this trip but seatguru.com can help avoid unpleasant surprises.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If you have been to the range lately, clean your shoes or wear different shoes. Their sniffers can detect the gun powder residue. Ask me how I know this :oops:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

stroo

Post by stroo »

I have flown in and out of Ontario a fair amount. I liked it better than any other LA airport. That said, it has been years since I have been to California.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Oh yeah, and you can't use your LTC for ID here in Texas...but the folks in California usually accept it. It's quite the conversation starter.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Even before flying with pre Check, I never had a problem leaving my iPad in a bag. They only want laptop sized electronics and larger in it's own bin.

It's too late now, but a TSA approved laptop bag is great to have, even with pre check. With those, the laptop sits in its own compartment but attached to the bag. You just unzip the flap and unfold it. The laptop can be scanned but stays with your bag.

I lived in the Bay Area for years and found that depending upon where you were, flying in and out of Sacramento was easy. The drive is a bit longer but it's a small airport and easy to get to and out of.

Have a great trip.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Off-Topic”