Retirement grows closer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 3

Retirement grows closer

Post by Sidro »

Turning 66 soon and starting to think about hanging it up. May do some consulting occasionally but will be selective. I have worked for this company for 42 years and gave a lot of free labor to them growing up.
Recently bought a house as we live in a company furnished house and we are in the final stages of finishing up on it with what we wanted to change. Told my wife of 43 years a very long time ago when we finally bought our own house I would put new furniture in it with no questions asked. I made good on that promise yesterday, boy could I have bought some nice guns for the money that was spent. She deserves it for putting up with me this long.
If nothing changes it looks like July 1st I will be out. It is going to be a little different not being at work at 5:30 am and going home after 4:00 pm or whenever the job is finished. Don't think I will miss being on call 24/7 and troubleshooting problems after a call in the wee hours of the morning.
Maybe I can just sit around and build rifles for the grandbabies. This will also mean I can make an Elm Fork Shotgun get together with out work nixing it.
The possibilities abound for me I just have to make the best of them. I am starting to look forward favorably to July and the rest of my life.

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Retirement grows closer

Post by Jeff B. »

Good for you! I understand about the tolerance of a wife. We're a bit behind you at 35 years, but I get it. :)

Start thinking on your post work plans. It seems the happiest retired folks have things to do, places to go and people to see...

On their own schedule of course.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Congratulations !! :tiphat:
My wife & I will hit 40 this yr. I retired a couple yrs ago & proudly admit that I work harder to not spoil my kids & grandkids
than I ever thought I would. Enjoy and good health in your new endeavors. :cheers2:
:txflag: :patriot:

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Congrats on your retirement coming up and your new house. Making holsters would be a nice hobby for you to have. I'll pre-order mine from you for a S&W 686 4 inch.

67N20

Post by 67N20 »

Retirement is great. Retired in 2011, joined an airplane flight museum and am now a B-17 and B-25 crewchief, play softball two mornings a week from March-June and September-November.
Picking up a 2016 Corvette convertable tomorrow.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Congratulations! We will be praying for you as you begin a new chapter. A lot of time with your bride and grandkids is the way to go.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Well done & congrats Sidro !

I'm not far behind you on the pending retirement .....I am looking to hang it up at the end of 2019 and will have worked 42+ years in the oilpatch. Oilfield has been and is good to us - but it is all consuming - especially living oversea's full-time. So we / I are really looking forward to being free to do what we want when we want....23 months and counting now.......

Ms. gamboolgal is planning on replacing lots of our old furniture also.......ha all good stuff !

Again OP - congrats and well done sir ! :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Retirement is great but it is also a big change so be prepared for some bumps.

Mrs. Anygunanywhere and I had never spent so much time together. The first 3 months were interesting. I annoyed her and she annoyed me because we interfered with each other's routines. We eventually worked through the issues and settled into a comfortable zone.

Good luck on your retirement. I hope you have a long and healthy retirement.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I retired at 66, but if I knew then what I knew now I would have waited until 70. Now, if monthly income from outside sources is no issue, then ignore me. But if it IS important and you rely on SS to provide a substantial portion, then waiting until 70 is almost a 33% increase in monthly benefits over age 66. Just my $.02

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

G26ster wrote:I retired at 66, but if I knew then what I knew now I would have waited until 70. Now, if monthly income from outside sources is no issue, then ignore me. But if it IS important and you rely on SS to provide a substantial portion, then waiting until 70 is almost a 33% increase in monthly benefits over age 66. Just my $.02
:iagree:
Waiting til 70 {to draw ssi} is my tentative plan also.....

(edited once to improve clarity of intent......)
Last edited by JustSomeOldGuy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

We hung it up at 62 and haven't looked back. Waiting until one is 70 kinda' cuts into the time one has to enjoy the rest of one's allotted time and health. If not the time and health of one, perhaps that of someone close to one? :nopity

Tempus fugit, y'all.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I retired at 72 and as Oldgringo says you really don't know how much time you have. Work was an obsession for me and provided a very good income. I learned one thing in retirement and that was that I didn't have to work. I could sleep late, do what I wanted to do or do nothing. I made it a goal in life to do one project a day and if I skipped that project who cared. Also started new hobbies. Bought some land, traded in aircraft and flying for ATV's and riding. We all have only so much time so enjoy and do what you want and get over the fact that you don't have to do something every day if you don't want to.

lowdogtx

Post by lowdogtx »

62 and counting every day
Good luck

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Don't wait to retire.

There are no guarantees you'll get to enjoy what years and health you have.

How would I know?

I retired at 45 and I'm in my 70's now and every moment of every day has been great.

Now, my health is fading fast, but it's been a great ride!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sidro wrote:Turning 66 soon and starting to think about hanging it up. May do some consulting occasionally but will be selective. I have worked for this company for 42 years and gave a lot of free labor to them growing up.
Recently bought a house as we live in a company furnished house and we are in the final stages of finishing up on it with what we wanted to change. Told my wife of 43 years a very long time ago when we finally bought our own house I would put new furniture in it with no questions asked. I made good on that promise yesterday, boy could I have bought some nice guns for the money that was spent. She deserves it for putting up with me this long.
If nothing changes it looks like July 1st I will be out. It is going to be a little different not being at work at 5:30 am and going home after 4:00 pm or whenever the job is finished. Don't think I will miss being on call 24/7 and troubleshooting problems after a call in the wee hours of the morning.
Maybe I can just sit around and build rifles for the grandbabies. This will also mean I can make an Elm Fork Shotgun get together with out work nixing it.
The possibilities abound for me I just have to make the best of them. I am starting to look forward favorably to July and the rest of my life.
Welcome to the club Sidro! Now, maybe we can find something to keep each other busy. LOL
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”