Retirement grows closer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Retirement grows closer

Post by PUCKER »

TAM - that is very cool what you ARE doing and what your PLAN on doing! On the travel trailer/RV - try renting both larger trailers (if you can) and RVs (you can definitely rent Class A). My parents are down *right* on the Rio Grande in Brownsville for the next few weeks in their coach. They LOVE it. 40' and 4 slides and a LOT of storage for stuff...

I'd like some land in out in the country (sometime). We are members at Eagles Canyon Raceway, it is North of Decatur (FM 455 & Hwy 51). We spend a lot of time at the track. I had to run out there last night to pick up the car/trailer for hitting COTA this weekend. I got there around 8 pm, it was gorgeous, all the stars, the quiet. If we had a few hundred acres it would be my playground for all sorts of engine-related fun (dirt bikes, side by sides, etc) and gun powder related fun!!

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Sidro »

I am officially retired as of 4:00 pm yesterday. I was born on the Waggoner Ranch and retired from there after some 43+ years of employment with them. I now start a new chapter in my life with no idea of what is to come. Still will have tight ties to the ranch where I spent most all of my life as wife, brother and many friends are employed there. Living in town will take some getting used to as all but 2 years of my life has been spent in the country.
Having worked for the largest ranch in the US under one fence has been quite a journey and now I start another. Life is great and you just have to make the most of it, I plan on doing so.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Congratulations,
I retired two and a half years ago. Its really been the best part of my life so far. Hope hope you enjoy your newfound freedom as much as I/
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Congratulations on the retirement. I know the feeling of moving into town after living in the country. Many years ago I worked on the pitchfork ranch for several years. When I left and moved back to Dallas it was a culture shock.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

A comfortable retirement, money wise, is determined more by what you have going out than what you have coming in. Just sayin'...

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

G26ster wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:44 am I retired at 66, but if I knew then what I knew now I would have waited until 70. Now, if monthly income from outside sources is no issue, then ignore me. But if it IS important and you rely on SS to provide a substantial portion, then waiting until 70 is almost a 33% increase in monthly benefits over age 66. Just my $.02
SS is calculated to be the same amount overall if you live to the life expectancy of males. If you live longer than that you will get more by waiting until 70 but what’s the use of waiting until 70 to get 33% more if you don’t live long enough to enjoy it? It’s all a gamble but I’m taking mine at 62, like Abraham said I want to retire while I’m in good health so I can enjoy myself. The males in my family tend to die young so I’m basing my decision to retire early on that.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

I retired at 57, after working for same company 38 years. Best thing I have ever done. Never regretted our decision.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

apostate

Post by apostate »

Sidro wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am I am officially retired as of 4:00 pm yesterday. I was born on the Waggoner Ranch and retired from there after some 43+ years of employment with them. I now start a new chapter in my life with no idea of what is to come.
Congratulations! :woohoo

I'm planning to quit the rat race later this year. I can't afford to completely retire until I'm eligible for Medicare in 15 years, but I'm going to dial it way back.

Best wishes for this new chapter of your life.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I've been enjoying reading this thread. I'm in my mid-30s so retirement is still a way off. I plan on retiring in my early 60s Lord willing. My house should be paid off and my kids though college. I don't have nor want an extravagant life style.

Unfortunately, with the exception of one of my grandfathers and one Uncle, the men in my family have below average lifespans. My dad died before he was 70. I face the sobering reality that I'm probably close to the middle of my life. I intend to try to forestall that and make the most of my time here.
Psalm 91:2

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

One of my friends told me you can claim full retirement at 66 and continue to work full time with no money removed from retirement check. So, now you have full SS check plus full time job check. Dont know if that is true but if it is would be a good incentive for me to keep working till 70.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am One of my friends told me you can claim full retirement at 66 and continue to work full time with no money removed from retirement check. So, now you have full SS check plus full time job check. Dont know if that is true but if it is would be a good incentive for me to keep working till 70.
After FRA (Full Retirement Age) whatever that is for you, the government will no longer penalize you if you take Social Security and also have a certain amount of additional income (!). But they will still tax your Social Security, which in itself is tantamount to outright theft. :mad5

If you plan to work to age 70, then consider delaying taking your Social Security and let the monthly payment continue to grow in size.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am One of my friends told me you can claim full retirement at 66 and continue to work full time with no money removed from retirement check. So, now you have full SS check plus full time job check. Dont know if that is true but if it is would be a good incentive for me to keep working till 70.
Full retirement age depends on when you were born:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The CPA that helped me start and run my business for 15 years was retired. He and his CPA wife did the math on drawing social security at earliest age possible vs waiting to receive the max dollar amount. They decided to start drawing the SS as soon as eligible. He had told me that it took too long to make up for the years of waiting in extra benefits and he was not going to gamble he lived long enough to win that bet.

Anyway, CONGRATS on the retirement. Enjoy and stay busy. :thewave

Return to “Off-Topic”