Switzerland named No. 1 country to live in

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Switzerland named No. 1 country to live in

Post by philip964 »

US dropped to 8 th.

My memory difficult to immigrate to and I think you get to keep your rifle after service. Maybe required to have it at home while in service.

SigM4

Re: Switzerland named No. 1 country to live in

Post by SigM4 »

I had the opportunity to visit Switzerland several times in college and my early 20s, very nice and clean country. That and the flag is a big plus.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SigM4 wrote:I had the opportunity to visit Switzerland several times in college and my early 20s, very nice and clean country. That and the flag is a big plus.
"rlol"
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

There are quite a few countries that are quite nice to live in. When you don't have to spend a fortune for your own defense and rely on the USA to protect you with their miltary and treasure, of course you can afford to have a nice country.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

G26ster wrote:There are quite a few countries that are quite nice to live in. When you don't have to spend a fortune for your own defense and rely on the USA to protect you with their miltary and treasure, of course you can afford to have a nice country.
The Swiss have done quite well on their own, and enjoy independence. They mind their own business, ask for little and owe few favors. Sometimes I wish we could be just a little more like them. Although they aren't exactly a gun owners paradise.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Liberty wrote:
G26ster wrote:There are quite a few countries that are quite nice to live in. When you don't have to spend a fortune for your own defense and rely on the USA to protect you with their miltary and treasure, of course you can afford to have a nice country.
The Swiss have done quite well on their own, and enjoy independence. They mind their own business, ask for little and owe few favors. Sometimes I wish we could be just a little more like them. Although they aren't exactly a gun owners paradise.
I had a Swss client. You could not pay me to live there. A touch and go cost 1,200.00 ( back in the 80's. ) He migrated to the US and had friends visit him to get away from all the gov. Regs. We complain about Gov. here. How would you like not be able to buy a new couch until you could prove you had sold or properly disposed of your previous couch. How would you like to pay traffic fines based on your income. NO THANKS.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

WTR wrote:
Liberty wrote:
I had a Swss client. You could not pay me to live there. A touch and go cost 1,200.00 ( back in the 80's. ) He migrated to the US and had friends visit him to get away from all the gov. Regs. We complain about Gov. here. How would you like not be able to buy a new couch until you could prove you had sold or properly disposed of your previous couch. How would you like to pay traffic fines based on your income. NO THANKS.
I truly believe that we live in a better place. But I must admit I like the way they do some things. They are not shy about restricting immigration. They do take their own self defense seriously. Regarding the income tests for traffic violations, I'm not sure that is such a terrible idea. The burden of traffic violations is one of the factors in the Ferguson riots. To most middle income familys a $100 ticket is inconsequential. But to a struggling young family it is is a serious hit.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the government, but they sure keep their streets and cities cleaner than we do. They wouldn't tolorate anyone defecating on their sidewalks. Like we do in some of our cities.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"To most middle income familys a $100 ticket is inconsequential. But to a struggling young family it is is a serious hit."

Uh-huh...how about just obeying the law?

Complaining about the cost of being fined for law breaking...give ME a break.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Liberty wrote:Regarding the income tests for traffic violations, I'm not sure that is such a terrible idea. The burden of traffic violations is one of the factors in the Ferguson riots. To most middle income familys a $100 ticket is inconsequential. But to a struggling young family it is is a serious hit.
Should we also apply this same logic to prison sentences? After all the impact of imprisonment is dramatically different for a poor person vs a rich person when you measure the change in their standard of living. For someone who sleeps under a bridge and routinely is forced to skip meals because they have no money, going to prison is a change in their standard of living, but it is not a dramatically worse change like it would be for someone who flies on a private jet, has 4 houses, and a personal chef making all his meals. So from a deterrence impact one day in prison might be equivalent to a year or more for the homeless fellow.

Or we could just have equal punishment for all regardless of their economic circumstances. If going to prison is more of a negative change for the rich person, they will be deterred more than a poor person. And if a $100 traffic fine is more of a negative change for a poor person, they will likewise be more deterred than a rich person. See, it all kind of balances out.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I think that Switzerland has some serious morality issues. for example, neutrality is NOT a morally correct stance in my judgment.

and then there is this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/he ... 1ff71b5fed

Of course, we are all entitled to our own conclusions...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I typically go to Switzerland once a year for business, got lucky last year, went twice. Such a beautiful place! Really pricey though. Last year was my first time to end up in the southern part - Locarno...near Italy...WOW! Loved it! Cannot comment on living there but I always do have fun and enjoy my time there. Like a lot of other places it may be that visiting it and back home is the best.

Sledding/sledging (no, not like sledding on a sled hill) down the Jungfrau was AMAZING!! https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/sledging/

The Chienbäse (a Fasnacht tradition of Liestal, Basel-Landschaft, Switzerland) is CRAZY. Pictures/words cannot describe it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chienbäse

Do a google image search for Chienbäse - it's mind-blowing.

Return to “Off-Topic”