Got a new eye.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Got a new eye.

Post by BigGuy »

I had cataract surgery yesterday (1/26/18) They replaced the lens with a toric lens. (The best I can tell, "Toric" is latin for expensive.)
First day after surgery — WOW!
Only minor downside I knew about before surgery, I need reading glasses. Up until the last few months I could still read without glasses using my left eye. Recently, reading had gotten difficult even with glasses. Now, though I need glasses, I can read again. (That's a nice ability for an author.)
Somebody in a post on another forum mentioned a friend who could see individual leaves on trees. I remember that sensation when I got my glasses back in Jr. High. In recent months, I couldn't make out individual leaves, even with glasses. Now, for the first time in 4 decades, I can make out individual leaves, without glasses.
The biggest difference is that colors are so vibrant. I feel like I've gotten a new TV. I can make out detail that I couldn't before because everything was the same color. (I had a hard time distinguishing between blue and black ink.)
The only other downside is that I'll have to wait two weeks to get the other eye done. I had thought it would only be a week. I'm already navigating with my left eye, the formerly non-dominant eye. I can't wait to get both eyes done. I've often lamented that I'd love to have my 20-year-old eyes back. I feel like I've got one of them.

EDIT: One other observation. I knew I'd be awake for the surgery. I wasn't looking forward to the idea of lying there, awake while somebody started cutting on my eye, but I made up my mind that I'd just have to get through it.
They gave me something before the surgery. I didn't feel drugged or drunk, but the surgery just didn't bother me. It was a strange (though not uncomfortable) sensation. A friend had told me this would happen and that there was nothing to the surgery. I didn't really believe it until experiencing it. He told me the worst part was going to be waiting to get the other eye fixed. He's right. I'd do it today if I could. I didn't realize how bad my eyes were until I got one of them fixed. Now it feels like I've got something over my right (dominate) eye.

Take Down Sicko

Re: Got a new eye.

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Thats great your surgery went so well. You'll be shooting bulls eyes in no time.

dino9832
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dino9832 »

Awesome! I can imagine how you must feel.
I'll be 51 in February, and my eyes have gotten bad over the years. I've even considered eye surgery. Unfortunately, I have an astigmatism so I'm not sure if they could even correct for it.

Old age sucks. Going from great eyesight to glasses, then bifocals. Then trifocals! Half your marksmanship practice gets centered on working around your bad eyesight..lol.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I had cataract surgery when I was in early 50's. Unfortunately, the surgeon didn't remove enough of the cloudy lens so even though I can see better than before, I still have "halos" around lights at night.
Glad yours went better.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

eyet

Post by eyet »

dino9832 wrote:I've even considered eye surgery. Unfortunately, I have an astigmatism so I'm not sure if they could even correct for it.
That’s what toric lenses are for.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Congratulations BigGuy. I'm really glad everything turned out so well.

When I had my eye surgery last year, I too was impressed by how easy it was to go through.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ELB

Post by ELB »

How much did it cost if you don’t mind telling?

Some years back my wife had Lasik surgery done, and I had myself if I evaluated for also. it turns out I’m too nearsighted for that to be effective. However they suggested doing what was in effect cataract surgery without the cataract. Unfortunately it was something on the order of $5000 per eye, And I could not justify walking down 10+ grand At that point.
USAF 1982-2005

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Congrats... I had LASIK done in 2013 and it's the best investment I've ever made. Eyes are something to take care of.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Keep an eye out for us.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

That's great. I proofread and copy edit for about a dozen authors. I can't imagine not reading. Post updates now and then so those of us who might have this in our future will know what to expect.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I plan to take care of my cataracts this year. I have them in both eyes, and the one in my dominant (left) eye is worse than my right eye.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

BigGuy wrote:I had cataract surgery yesterday (1/26/18) They replaced the lens with a toric lens. (The best I can tell, "Toric" is latin for expensive.)
First day after surgery — WOW!
Only minor downside I knew about before surgery, I need reading glasses. Up until the last few months I could still read without glasses using my left eye. Recently, reading had gotten difficult even with glasses. Now, though I need glasses, I can read again. (That's a nice ability for an author.)
Somebody in a post on another forum mentioned a friend who could see individual leaves on trees. I remember that sensation when I got my glasses back in Jr. High. In recent months, I couldn't make out individual leaves, even with glasses. Now, for the first time in 4 decades, I can make out individual leaves, without glasses.
The biggest difference is that colors are so vibrant. I feel like I've gotten a new TV. I can make out detail that I couldn't before because everything was the same color. (I had a hard time distinguishing between blue and black ink.)
The only other downside is that I'll have to wait two weeks to get the other eye done. I had thought it would only be a week. I'm already navigating with my left eye, the formerly non-dominant eye. I can't wait to get both eyes done. I've often lamented that I'd love to have my 20-year-old eyes back. I feel like I've got one of them.

EDIT: One other observation. I knew I'd be awake for the surgery. I wasn't looking forward to the idea of lying there, awake while somebody started cutting on my eye, but I made up my mind that I'd just have to get through it.
They gave me something before the surgery. I didn't feel drugged or drunk, but the surgery just didn't bother me. It was a strange (though not uncomfortable) sensation. A friend had told me this would happen and that there was nothing to the surgery. I didn't really believe it until experiencing it. He told me the worst part was going to be waiting to get the other eye fixed. He's right. I'd do it today if I could. I didn't realize how bad my eyes were until I got one of them fixed. Now it feels like I've got something over my right (dominate) eye.

I had this done 6 years ago to both eyes. While I now need reading glasses it is still quite an improvement from where I was. My distance vision is phenomenal. My implanted lenses have a blue tint to them and therefore most sunglasses are too dark to wear. Airplanethings.com has the lightest tinted glasses I can find and you can get them with readers on the bottom. They really work well and several friends ordered from them after trying my glasses. Enjoy your new eyes.

mayor

Post by mayor »

I did this in December. Left one early and the right one a week before Christmas. Wow, what a Christmas present. I knew I wasn't seeing very well and my optometrist couldn't correct my vision with prescription lenses and suggested cataract surgery. I was pretty apprehensive but scheduled it before the end of the year for insurance purposes. I can see well without glasses now and can even read without cheaters. Astigmatism in my left eye is gone but my right eye is still somewhat fuzzy. I need glasses at night to avoid the halo effect and I sometimes get a headache when I get tired. The glasses should alleviate that.

I know just how you feel. I could hardly wait to get both eyes corrected and finished up with the drops. My right eye seemed to have more trauma than the left but all healed up well.

Congratulations and welcome the the land of the less blind.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I had both eyes done (not on the same day) a few years back. I used to have to wear glasses to drive. Now, I have to wear glasses for everything except driving and ogling. Would I do it over again, I dunno.... :roll:

Return to “Off-Topic”