You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: You missed one of the great Super Bowl games!

Post by strogg »

I ended up going to a work-sponsored party yesterday evening. A whole bunch of people I haven't see in years showed up. I mingled, talked, etc. It was fun. At some point during the event, I hear the national anthem play, so I stood, took off my cap, and stood in solemn silence until it was over. I'm not sure what was playing on the screen after that; I paid no attention to it.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I wouldn't sully my eyes watching a bunch overpaid America haters 'play' a game.

Hot Dawg

Post by Hot Dawg »

The only thing I missed was dinner time with the wife, was having to much fun at the range.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:
Scott B. wrote::patriot:

What a game!! Outcome in question until the final seconds. Great contest.

Only question is how much of Philadelphia will need renovation tomorrow? :evil2:

- Posted from my Pixel 2
Another reason to despise the NFL as “fans” in Philadelphia destroyed business, personal and city property. A report I read mischaracterized the people involved in looting as “fans” instead of criminals.
Thugs will be thugs. They don't really need an excuse.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

strogg wrote:I ended up going to a work-sponsored party yesterday evening. A whole bunch of people I haven't see in years showed up. I mingled, talked, etc. It was fun. At some point during the event, I hear the national anthem play, so I stood, took off my cap, and stood in solemn silence until it was over. I'm not sure what was playing on the screen after that; I paid no attention to it.
When I was in the military, we were told that you aren't generally supposed to render honors (salute, stand at attention, etc.) to the Anthem played on television or radio. I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors. I certainly wouldn't take offense to someone who chose to, but I wouldn't necessarily participate as I would if I were at the game in person... :tiphat:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

ScottDLS wrote: I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors.
Probably a matter of interpretation, but here's what the U.S. Code says:

United States Code Title 36
§301. National anthem

a. Designation. — The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

b. Conduct During Playing — During rendition of the national anthem —
1. when the flag is displayed —
A. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
B. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
C. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

So I missed some jocks and probably some felons chasing each other around a field and slamming each other to the ground all the while getting worked up over where a man in a striped shirt placed a leather ball on the ground. I guess I also missed being potentially influenced by advertisers who pay millions of dollars that ends up in said jocks/felons pockets and which millions are funded by John Q. Public when he buys the products from those advertisers.

Yawn......., yeah, I almost feel deprived. :biggrinjester:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

G26ster wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: I think the point was there is no actual flag present to which you're supposed to render honors.
Probably a matter of interpretation, but here's what the U.S. Code says:

United States Code Title 36
§301. National anthem

a. Designation. — The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

b. Conduct During Playing — During rendition of the national anthem —
1. when the flag is displayed —
A. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
B. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
C. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
I also think this is for when it is played over the speaker particularly for the location where the event or honor guard is taking place, even in absence of flag. If you're at a bar or pass somebody playing Anthem on a portable radio walking down the street, or it happens to be playing during a movie as part of the scene; I don't think the intent is for you to stand up an salute while you block your fellow pedestrians, bar patrons, or movie goers... :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I love that movie!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Office Space is a classic!

On the game and the NFL. Yes, there are some bad stories in the NFL, but there are also many more great stories.

What does the game MVP, Eagles backup quarterback Nick Foles plan to do when football is over? Be a pastor at a christian school.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

Scott B. wrote:
What does the game MVP, Eagles backup quarterback Nick Foles plan to do when football is over? Be a pastor at a christian school.
My wife found that story... and he's a Texas boy! (from Westlake by Austin!)

He's certainly one to wish great success upon!! (on and off the field)

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Super Bowl 30 was interesting, although I thought it was a hoax at first - and maybe it was.

Before the NFL grabbed it up, somebody registered the domain superbowlxxx.com and put a one-page web site there advertising the presumably XXX rated International Gay Bowlers Association. The NFL was not appreciative.

I didn't see the game, but I remember reading about the domain name war. I don't think the NFL was LGBTLSMFT friendly back in '95.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I had more fun watching my toe nails grow for three hours than i ever would have had watching nfl.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Cowb ... 54023.html
Robert Clyde Drew, beloved husband, father, and Papa, drew his last breath January 25, 2018, mainly, we suspect, to prevent himself from having to watch the Patriots and Eagles in the Superbowl. A loyal Cowboys fan, he died peacefully with his daughter by his side, knowing full well that Dez, did, in fact, catch the ball.
Easily one of the best obituaries I’ve ever read. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”