Walmart to raise minimum age for all gun sales to 21

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Walmart to raise minimum age for all gun sales to 21

Post by RicoTX »

NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Cheapsk8
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walmart to raise minimum age for all gun sales to 21

Post by Cheapsk8 »

And toy gun replicas of MSR but I bet you will still find call of duty and all the other war games there
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Topic author
RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I used to buy some ammo at Walmart, and a few months ago picked up an inexpensive truck rifle. In the future, I will make all my purchases at one of my local dealers - regardless of price.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This part is scary
We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond Federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm. The law would allow the sale of a firearm if no response to a background check request has been received within three business days, but our policy prohibits the sale until an approval is given.
So they are saying that in addition to implementing an age restriction, they also will be implementing a background check restriction, both of which are more restrictive than federal law. I know that the 2nd amendment does not constrain the actions of Walmart, any more than they are constrained by the 1st amendment, but this is concerning, especially if it spreads to other B&M retailers.

Also, just from a practical perspective, does NICS even give responses after the time limit expires? Or do they not respond to the request since after the 3 business days it has become a moot point, legally?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Now the attack on our rights is spreading. Walmart was and still best source for ammo
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Beiruty wrote:Walmart was and still best source for ammo
The metroplex Walmarts must be way better than the rural... ours is higher priced and lower in selection than Academy. But thankfully, I buy my ammo in components now, and spend much less, while enjoying a new hobby. :fire

To keep this on topic- I have never purchased a gun at walmart and honestly think ours has the same 10-12 guns that have been there since the store opened! :lol:

That decision only hurts walmart.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I bought a lot of ammo at Walmart over the years. I won't buy another box.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Their store, their rules. Better than a law requiring it - but I'd feel a lot better about it if they said they were upping the age and bringing back MSR's.

strogg

Post by strogg »

flechero wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Walmart was and still best source for ammo
The metroplex Walmarts must be way better than the rural... ours is higher priced and lower in selection than Academy. But thankfully, I buy my ammo in components now, and spend much less, while enjoying a new hobby. :fire

To keep this on topic- I have never purchased a gun at walmart and honestly think ours has the same 10-12 guns that have been there since the store opened! :lol:

That decision only hurts walmart.
I think the prices are uniform across all Walmarts. Ammo prices back in Commiefornia before they pulled ammo off the shelves and ammo prices here are identical. The only ammo worth buying that's cheap at Wally World are the Federal .45 ACP that's super easy to miss and the Tula 7.62x39. But at the end, you're saving no more than a buck a box compared to other retailers in the area or online. In fact, most prices on ammo are MORE than competing retailers.

So yeah, they won't be getting my business anymore for ammo. As if they ever had it to begin with, really.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Guns and ammo now 21. My WM hasn't had anything worth buying in a long time.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

So even if we present our CHL which satisfies the NICS background check they will still insist on running the background check?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I reckon the various stores are as free to decide on their business model for selling product as we are free to decide on where we'll buy product? I'm more concerned with price and availability than I am with age restrictions. If age restrictions are all that come out of this latest anti-gun frenzy that appears to be sweeping the nation, we should all rejoice.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I haven't been in a WM for several years anyway and this just gives me another reason to stay away. We do, however purchase our groceries from them but do so via website and pick up so we don't have to go in. This may now also change if I can convince the CFO to go elsewhere.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Heck, I thought one had to be a minimum of 21 to purchase a firearm already.

So, guess I was wrong.

What WAS the minimum age a person had to be to buy a firearm?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Abraham wrote:Heck, I thought one had to be a minimum of 21 to purchase a firearm already.

So, guess I was wrong.

What WAS the minimum age a person had to be to buy a firearm?
ATF Rules for licensed dealers are 21 to purchase a handgun, 18 to purchase a long gun. A person age 18 and older may possess a handgun, they just have to purchase it through a private party sale or gift.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Off-Topic”