Pellet Grills

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pellet Grills

Post by Grundy1133 »

txglock21 wrote:I bought a Pit Boss 820 D Wednesday as a 50th birthday present for myself. They were on sale at Lowe's for $450 (regularly $500) and used my military discount which saved another $45. Also bought a 40 lb. bag of competition flavor pellets. I have yet to cook on it, but did the initial burn and worked like a charm. Plan to do a brisket and some ribs Saturday. I haven't been this excited about something since I received my CHL years ago! :smilelol5:
[/quote]
EVERYONE you heard it right here! party at txglock21's house this saturday!!! :woohoo :woohoo
NRA Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Wow, I'm impressed with all you Chefs!

I know zero about pellet grills.

So, a few questions: I've always loved bbqing on a weber using a small amount of charcoal, after it's burned down to a proper gray ash, add chunks of either Pecan or Oak. Open the damper wide open until the wood catches fire, then closed dampers back enough to keep charcoal going and wooding smoking.

This method works quite well, but yes, it takes fairly constant attention. And, of course, to keep the cooking temperature as consistent as it can be takes a lot of labor. Sometimes assisted with beer...

So question 1. How is a pellet grilling superior to this old fashioned method? And, by the way, I not at all being contentious. I'm truly interested, because if pellet cooking makes not only a great product, but makes it less labor intensive (I'm guessing) it's also fun.

Question 2. I see a lot of advice on temperature controls, as in digital being the best. Is it?

Lastly question 3. Which would ya'll consider the top 3 and how much (ball park) would you guess the weight and cost of one you'd recommend? (I see so many recommendations, I don't which'd be consider the Rolls Royce?

And, thanks!
Abraham - First of all, if I were still 50 years old, I would buy myself a pellet smoker for my birthday. :mrgreen:

I am not going to completely answer your question, but I really like Weber products. A couple years ago I discovered a new way to smoke on my Weber Kettle using the Snake [or Fuse] Method. When I set my grill using this method
I have been able to keep the grill at 250-275 Degrees for four hours without adding charcoal or wood. The longer the fuse, the more time it will hold temperature. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtfUnFecw6k

Here is a pork shoulder that I smoked for about 4 hours using the snake method. It made some mighty good pulled pork!

NRA Endowment Member

txglock21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txglock21 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
txglock21 wrote:I bought a Pit Boss 820 D Wednesday as a 50th birthday present for myself. They were on sale at Lowe's for $450 (regularly $500) and used my military discount which saved another $45. Also bought a 40 lb. bag of competition flavor pellets. I have yet to cook on it, but did the initial burn and worked like a charm. Plan to do a brisket and some ribs Saturday. I haven't been this excited about something since I received my CHL years ago! :smilelol5:
EVERYONE you heard it right here! party at txglock21's house this saturday!!! :woohoo :woohoo[/quote]
:lol:: You might want to tap the brakes on that UNTIL we see how it turns out! My last attempt with a brisket on my regular wood smoker was a disaster. I ended up having to grind the entire brisket up into chopped beef for sandwiches. That was one of the main reasons I've been wanting a pellet grill, my friend says it's almost idiot proof, which is perfect for me. "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

txglock21 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
EVERYONE you heard it right here! party at txglock21's house this saturday!!! :woohoo :woohoo
:lol:: You might want to tap the brakes on that UNTIL we see how it turns out! My last attempt with a brisket on my regular wood smoker was a disaster. I ended up having to grind the entire brisket up into chopped beef for sandwiches. That was one of the main reasons I've been wanting a pellet grill, my friend says it's almost idiot proof, which is perfect for me. "rlol"[/quote]
Nothing wrong with CB sandwiches!
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

For you guys that are veterans pm me and I’ll send you info on how to get some great discounts on the Camp Chef pellet grills .

carlson1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by carlson1 »

Placed on pellet smoker this morning at 9:00. Nine hours later "so good." :cheers2:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

[quote="carlson1"]Placed on pellet smoker this morning at 9:00. Nine hours later "so good." :cheers2:
:thumbs2: Looks good enough to eat! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Placed on pellet smoker this morning at 9:00. Nine hours later "so good." :cheers2:
I forgot to take a picture after it was done. Beautiful bark and great taste. This was my first time using an injection. I injected it and let it set overnight. It was moist and tender. I usually by my meat at Sams or Rudolph’s in Dallas. This was from Kroger’s and I guess the injection made this one turn out.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Placed on pellet smoker this morning at 9:00. Nine hours later "so good." :cheers2:
I forgot to take a picture after it was done. Beautiful bark and great taste. This was my first time using an injection. I injected it and let it set overnight. It was moist and tender. I usually by my meat at Sams or Rudolph’s in Dallas. This was from Kroger’s and I guess the injection made this one turn out.
I have been tempted to try using an injection, but never have. Well, it came out good, so that is what is important. I agree that Sams has very good meat.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Maybe there should be a ban against this one. Read the description and look at the color of the grill.

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gril ... 29PLB.html
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

mojo84 wrote:Maybe there should be a ban against this one. Read the description and look at the color of the grill.

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gril ... 29PLB.html
:iagree: It's for the kids! "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 13

Post by clarionite »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm I believe wrapping the brisket is called, “The Texas Crutch.” I do prefer the red butcher paper over foil. It seems to stay super moist. I think they are best about 200-220 internal temp. When using my Traeger I always add the A-MAZE-N-TUBE or tray because I like a little more smoke.
Yeah, I've seen it called that too. My understanding is that it's to help it get over the stall faster.

The last brisket I cooked I broke down first. I separated the point from the flat. It cooked almost twice as fast, and was perfectly cooked. I didn't wrap, because I didn't notice any stall. I'm getting the hang of the grill, and it's almost perfect. The only thing I'd change, and I have a few ideas of how to correct for it, is that there is a hot spot over the cup that the pellets burn in. It makes almost a third of the grill unusable for meats that need to cook for a long time. I'm going to play with putting a fire brick, or a piece of steel above that spot.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

clarionite wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:41 am
carlson1 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm I believe wrapping the brisket is called, “The Texas Crutch.” I do prefer the red butcher paper over foil. It seems to stay super moist. I think they are best about 200-220 internal temp. When using my Traeger I always add the A-MAZE-N-TUBE or tray because I like a little more smoke.
Yeah, I've seen it called that too. My understanding is that it's to help it get over the stall faster.

The last brisket I cooked I broke down first. I separated the point from the flat. It cooked almost twice as fast, and was perfectly cooked. I didn't wrap, because I didn't notice any stall. I'm getting the hang of the grill, and it's almost perfect. The only thing I'd change, and I have a few ideas of how to correct for it, is that there is a hot spot over the cup that the pellets burn in. It makes almost a third of the grill unusable for meats that need to cook for a long time. I'm going to play with putting a fire brick, or a piece of steel above that spot.
When you separated the point and the flat did you end up taking the flat off before the point?

flechero
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flechero »

What grill are you using? You should have a steel heat deflector/diffuser over the firepot already. You can double up on the sheet metal ones and it helps spread it out more evenly.

As for wrapping a brisket- there are a number of other reasons to do it. It does break a stall faster but also keeps from over smoking if you use harsher woods, keeps them more moist in finishing, adds some predictability to the finish time (great if you are serving a party tonight) and allows you to keep a couple cups of au jus. (assuming you de-fat it before serving)

Thanks a lot... now I'm starving and it's an hour until lunch time! :drool:

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 13

Post by clarionite »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am

When you separated the point and the flat did you end up taking the flat off before the point?
No, they finished about the same time. One was at 205, and one at 208. And the texture was great. On my offset smoker, I ended up over cooking the meat. It tasted great, but I couldn't slice it without it falling apart. At 205 I'm able to slice it correctly.

Return to “Off-Topic”