Pellet Grills

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 13

Pellet Grills

Post by clarionite »

This is way off topic, but I figured a few of you guys probably are into cooking as much as I am.

I'm in the market for a Pellet Grill. Traegar of course is the first brand that comes to mind, as they were the first out there.
But I've been looking at some of the others. Master Craft, and Pitt Boss specifically because they're sold here locally.
I believe I've almost settled on the Pit Boss Austin XL. For the price it looks to be my best option.

Any comments or suggestions on getting into pellet grills? I currently have a very nice offset smoker and a gas grill. I see adding a pellet grill as the same as adding a different pot or pan in my kitchen. Different functions and different results. I won't be getting rid of the other two, just adding another utensil to my grilling/smoking collection.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pellet Grills

Post by anygunanywhere »

I've never tried grilled pellets.

What sort of rub will you use?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

flechero
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flechero »

I've had 3 different pellet grills and all 3 of my brothers & Father have them as well. Best, without question is Yoder, but they are expensive. They are also made of hvy steel instead of sheet metal so they recover almost instantly. Traeger is good, as is Green Mountain. I like digital controls, not the 5 position dial. Way more versatile. I am not familiar with the pit boss grills but that doesn't mean anything. (I saw a nice review when I googled them) I'd check and see if you can upgrade the controller to the digital. (it looks like a traeger controller so you may be able to swap with traeger parts.

Pellets can be expensive- we group buy a couple times a year and have a pallet shipped in. Our price that way is usually $12-$13 per 40lb bag... as opposed to $15-$18 per 20 lb bag locally!

I love cooking outdoors!

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I've got a Rec-Tec. So do my son and son-in-law who got theirs after seeing/using mine for a while. I think the temperature control may be a bit more exact than the Traeger and it will run up to 500 for searing.

http://www.rectecgrills.com/

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

I bought Camp Chef after doing my research. Their customer service is top notch, I had a temp probe and gas regulator go bad and they sent replacements out right away, all they asked for was the serial number. If money is no object then buy this one: http://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/

carlson1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by carlson1 »

I have the Traeger and it works fine, but I do not use their pellets. I like the BBQ'rs Delight Grilling Pellets from A-Maze-N Products. (http://www.amazenproducts.com/). They also have the "smoking tubes" that are fantastic for cold smoking. I cold smoke a lot of cheese this time of the year. This a good forum to checkout: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

I don't know if I will ever need another one, but if I do I want to look for a Rec-Tec Pellet Smoker.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

anygunanywhere wrote:I've never tried grilled pellets.

What sort of rub will you use?
That didn't take long...
:lol::

Glad to see this topic. I wondered about pellet grills as well.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Search: smoking meat forum. Bunch good folks there. I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker a while back. Modified a popcorn tin and dryer duct for a smoke chamber using pellets in an Amazen Pellet smoker tray. Great little set up. Caution when buying pellets. Many brands are a cheap base wood flavored with oils. Try to find pellets that are actually made from the type of wood you want to use. Tons of fun. Smoking 10lbs
of backboard bacon tomorrow. Just did 9lbs of Canadian bacon yesterday.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I also have a Rec Tec (Model 680). I love it! I did add the Don Godke downdraft and it has helped to even out the temperature across the grate and keeps the smoke in a little longer. There are all kinds of modifications that people do. A big +1 on the smoking meat forum. Also check out pelletheads.com

Pellet grills / smokers don't produce as much smoke as your offset, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I’ve seen a few pellet grills in use and they do a good job, I use an XL big green egg with a flame boss 300. I can cook low and slow or grill hot and fast with the added bonus of controlling cook temps from my phone. If I’m doing a brisket overnight and something goes wrong I get a text message that wakes me up. I believe the the egg is way more versatile than a pellet cooker
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

clarionite wrote:This is way off topic, but I figured a few of you guys probably are into cooking as much as I am.

I'm in the market for a Pellet Grill. Traegar of course is the first brand that comes to mind, as they were the first out there.
But I've been looking at some of the others. Master Craft, and Pitt Boss specifically because they're sold here locally.
I believe I've almost settled on the Pit Boss Austin XL. For the price it looks to be my best option.

Any comments or suggestions on getting into pellet grills? I currently have a very nice offset smoker and a gas grill. I see adding a pellet grill as the same as adding a different pot or pan in my kitchen. Different functions and different results. I won't be getting rid of the other two, just adding another utensil to my grilling/smoking collection.
Definitely go RecTec. Yoder's have inferior controllers and you'll regret the massive temp swings. Over a brisket cook, my RecTec's never vary more than 3-4 degrees, regardless of the weather.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I’ve seen a few pellet grills in use and they do a good job, I use an XL big green egg with a flame boss 300. I can cook low and slow or grill hot and fast with the added bonus of controlling cook temps from my phone. If I’m doing a brisket overnight and something goes wrong I get a text message that wakes me up. I believe the the egg is way more versatile than a pellet cooker
I may get a Flame Boss for my offset smoker also... Looks like a great accessory. I take it you're pleased with yours.
How long have you had it?

Topic author
clarionite

Post by clarionite »

chamberc wrote:
clarionite wrote:This is way off topic, but I figured a few of you guys probably are into cooking as much as I am.

Definitely go RecTec. Yoder's have inferior controllers and you'll regret the massive temp swings. Over a brisket cook, my RecTec's never vary more than 3-4 degrees, regardless of the weather.
I looked at both RecTec and Yoder. But for twice the price of the PitBoss and Master Craft I wasn't sure what I'd gain.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Another RecTec 680 owner here, I echo what most have mentioned before about temp consistency. Another thing to consider with the RecTec, it has a 40 lb pellet hopper, which is larger than most others. This played a major role in my decision to go with RecTec, other than those chrome bull horn handles are just darn cool looking!
NRA Life Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

Daddio-on-patio wrote:Search: smoking meat forum. Bunch good folks there. I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker a while back. Modified a popcorn tin and dryer duct for a smoke chamber using pellets in an Amazen Pellet smoker tray. Great little set up. Caution when buying pellets. Many brands are a cheap base wood flavored with oils. Try to find pellets that are actually made from the type of wood you want to use. Tons of fun. Smoking 10lbs
of backboard bacon tomorrow. Just did 9lbs of Canadian bacon yesterday.
I have a Masterbuilt smoker similar to yours. So you just put the pellet tray into the popcorn tin, and the heat from the smoker cooks the pellets? Why not just use pellets in the wood chip tray inside the smoker?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “Off-Topic”