Pellet Grills

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

16Adams
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pellet Grills

Post by 16Adams »

2FC03A2D-55C6-4C46-BCE7-D7C18533F3F7.jpeg
Attachments
D9E88468-2430-4ED5-BA4A-F46748124F01.jpeg

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

I love to smoke but prefer the taste of grilled. I have quite a few cookers, no pellet cookers. The friends I have that use them, love them. They all started with a entry level low cost, then upgraded.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by carlson1 »

flechero wrote:
carlson1 wrote: I think they are best about 200-220 internal temp.
True, but that's a big range.

My brother (is a chef and a comp bbq cook) taught me to cook brisket to tender not to temp... when the thermapen probe just sides in like butter, it's done. Too much variation in individual briskets to call a specific temp right. Some are done at 200 and others at 210 or more... but the one that would be perfect at 200 is dry at 210.

Carlson, you must be feeling a little better if your posting about BBQ!! :cheers2: Still praying for you, Brother!
Thank you for your prayers. I have been NPO since last night and I am drying up. - in another 410lbs. :mrgreen:

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Personally, I have only used chips in the tray. I have read some threads cautioning against pellets in the chip hopper due to them igniting. In my experience the chips don't seem to smoke consistently unless I am cooking above 180F. I smoked cheese with my set up with ambient temperature of 38F. Inside the MES it never reached 50F. 6 hour smoke at 180F on my pastrami and never had to touch a thing. Using chips I would have been loading every 30-40 minutes.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

allisji wrote:
Daddio-on-patio wrote:Search: smoking meat forum. Bunch good folks there. I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker a while back. Modified a popcorn tin and dryer duct for a smoke chamber using pellets in an Amazen Pellet smoker tray. Great little set up. Caution when buying pellets. Many brands are a cheap base wood flavored with oils. Try to find pellets that are actually made from the type of wood you want to use. Tons of fun. Smoking 10lbs
of backboard bacon tomorrow. Just did 9lbs of Canadian bacon yesterday.
I have a Masterbuilt smoker similar to yours. So you just put the pellet tray into the popcorn tin, and the heat from the smoker cooks the pellets? Why not just use pellets in the wood chip tray inside the smoker?
Forum Fail on first attempt :banghead: .....was answering the above question...
I have only used chips in the tray. I have read some threads cautioning against pellets in the chip hopper due to them igniting. In my experience the chips don't seem to smoke consistently unless I am cooking above 180F. I smoked cheese with my set up with ambient temperature of 38F. Inside the MES it never reached 50F. 6 hour smoke at 180F on my pastrami and never had to touch a thing. Using chips I would have been loading every 30-40 minutes.

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

Not meaning to hi-jack thread, but I cannot smoke meat without my beans here is the recipe, you can add or change to your taste for Easter I do a mild and spicy batch to go with the pulled pork and brisket cooked on my Rec Tec.

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, this is my preferred way (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour. (works in a pinch) Both are good but one is better.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Baby Backs on the pellet smoker with and A-Maze-N Tube. I used hickory because I was out of my favorite which is BBQr's Delight.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wow, I'm impressed with all you Chefs!

I know zero about pellet grills.

So, a few questions: I've always loved bbqing on a weber using a small amount of charcoal, after it's burned down to a proper gray ash, add chunks of either Pecan or Oak. Open the damper wide open until the wood catches fire, then closed dampers back enough to keep charcoal going and wooding smoking.

This method works quite well, but yes, it takes fairly constant attention. And, of course, to keep the cooking temperature as consistent as it can be takes a lot of labor. Sometimes assisted with beer...

So question 1. How is a pellet grilling superior to this old fashioned method? And, by the way, I not at all being contentious. I'm truly interested, because if pellet cooking makes not only a great product, but makes it less labor intensive (I'm guessing) it's also fun.

Question 2. I see a lot of advice on temperature controls, as in digital being the best. Is it?

Lastly question 3. Which would ya'll consider the top 3 and how much (ball park) would you guess the weight and cost of one you'd recommend? (I see so many recommendations, I don't which'd be consider the Rolls Royce?

And, thanks!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Abraham wrote:Wow, I'm impressed with all you Chefs!

I know zero about pellet grills.

So, a few questions: I've always loved bbqing on a weber using a small amount of charcoal, after it's burned down to a proper gray ash, add chunks of either Pecan or Oak. Open the damper wide open until the wood catches fire, then closed dampers back enough to keep charcoal going and wooding smoking.

This method works quite well, but yes, it takes fairly constant attention. And, of course, to keep the cooking temperature as consistent as it can be takes a lot of labor. Sometimes assisted with beer...

So question 1. How is a pellet grilling superior to this old fashioned method? And, by the way, I not at all being contentious. I'm truly interested, because if pellet cooking makes not only a great product, but makes it less labor intensive (I'm guessing) it's also fun.

Question 2. I see a lot of advice on temperature controls, as in digital being the best. Is it?

Lastly question 3. Which would ya'll consider the top 3 and how much (ball park) would you guess the weight and cost of one you'd recommend? (I see so many recommendations, I don't which'd be consider the Rolls Royce?

And, thanks!
His is a good video on pellet smokers. I like the pellet smoker because it is almost a set it forget smoker.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzudBzSTxl4

flechero
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flechero »

I'm also a Weber Kettle user (lifelong) for all my direct grilling needs... as to Pellet grills, the ability to set and hold temperature long term is fantastic. You can literally set it on 225, add a few pork butts and go to bed... No more all nighters working a firebox! I also use it for indirect cooks not requiring an initial sear.

I've used Green Mountain, Traeger and Yoder pellet grills a lot. All work great and do basically the same thing... As you have read, we all have our favorite brand but they are all pretty similar, I can take any cut I'm familiar with and go to any one of about 6 brands of pellet grills and get the predictable and desired result.

A big YES on the digital controller. Well worth the cost.

:thumbs2:
Sometimes assisted with beer...
Definitely helps the cook! :cheers2:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

carlson1,

Thanks, but you may have created a monster.

SWMBO loves to grill on our propane grill, but if I show her the pellet grill video you provided, she'll probably get one of those really high quality ones.

Heck, right now, she's waiting for dinner time so she can grill.

Yes, I'm the charcoal and wood guy, she's the propane grilling queen, but these pellet grills look rather like set it, put on a timer and wait til the timer goes off...time to eat.

Thank you Sir!

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EastTexasRancher »

If anyone is interested, Sears Home Appliance (online and stores) has their Kenmore pellet smoker on sale for $449. I just bought one yesterday, and it seems to be made by the same company that makes Traegers. In fact, it has the exact same controller as the Traeger.

699 square inches of cooking space.

Steamboat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Steamboat »

I've always been a charcoal user. After seeing this information I'm gonna take a look at a couple of pellet grills at Atwood's. They've got a couple in the $300 - $400 range.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

txglock21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txglock21 »

I bought a Pit Boss 820 D Wednesday as a 50th birthday present for myself. They were on sale at Lowe's for $450 (regularly $500) and used my military discount which saved another $45. Also bought a 40 lb. bag of competition flavor pellets. I have yet to cook on it, but did the initial burn and worked like a charm. Plan to do a brisket and some ribs Saturday. I haven't been this excited about something since I received my CHL years ago! :smilelol5:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

txglock21 wrote:I bought a Pit Boss 820 D Wednesday as a 50th birthday present for myself. They were on sale at Lowe's for $450 (regularly $500) and used my military discount which saved another $45. Also bought a 40 lb. bag of competition flavor pellets. I have yet to cook on it, but did the initial burn and worked like a charm. Plan to do a brisket and some ribs Saturday. I haven't been this excited about something since I received my CHL years ago! :smilelol5:
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I think most of the pellet grills work about the same. I know you get what you pay for, but.... I think the big thing is buying quality pellets. I have used four different brands and settled on A-Maz-N pellets. I know my grill is a Traeger, but their pellets are horrible. They have more than wood added. Buy quality pellets and you will it be disappointed.
Each A-MAZE-N PELLET flavor is a 100% natural product with no added fillers, binders or oils.

Return to “Off-Topic”