Daylight savings time

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Daylight savings time

Post by Oldgringo »

RoyGBiv wrote:I like it.
Okay, let's do it all year long then. Why change back and forth?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

In the winter when my kids walk to the school bus stop, moving back to "standard" time makes it just getting light about the time they leave in the morning.

In the summer, it's nice to have sunlight well after work, to do whatever... and during DST the sun is still up early enough that my kids aren't leaving home in the dark, except for going to sports practices..

Leaving the clock at DST in the winter means my kids go to school an hour before sunrise.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

Oldgringo wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I like it.
Okay, let's do it all year long then. Why change back and forth?
This is what I wish that we would do. Just stay on daylight saving time It will make everything more natural. The sunrise/sunset will move progressively and naturally toward longer days in mid summer and shorter days in mid winter, it will eliminate confusion over when the time changes and the unnatural step changes in the sunrise/sunset times. And people will go about their lives normally. Kids will get used to leaving for school before sunrise in the winter because they will be accustomed to the progressive loss of daylight throughout the fall, and people who go to work at 7am and leave at 5 will get a few brief moments of daylight at the end of the day to go for a walk or take the kids to park after work.

In my dream world I will go to sleep when I get tired and wake up at sunrise +/- 30 minutes regardless of the time. Unfortunately I've got about 30 years of waking up to an alarm clock still ahead of me.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Interesting article from 2013 that blames the barbecue and golf industries. One thing is for sure,it was never about or for farmers.

https://www.rawstory.com/2013/03/how-th ... n-the-u-s/
Ron
NRA Member

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Less crime! Fewer accidents! More energy! These are the benefits of Double Daylight Savings Time (DDST) which I propose we institute immediately!
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Heard about this one on the news, found it an interesting enough reason to push to end DST -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hear ... D420140329

Increase by 25% on the Monday following the swap to DST is a pretty significant increase
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

rtschl wrote:Interesting article from 2013 that blames the barbecue and golf industries. One thing is for sure,it was never about or for farmers.

https://www.rawstory.com/2013/03/how-th ... n-the-u-s/
Having grown up in a farming community, I can remember the first time in School they told me it was for the farmers to have an extra hour of sunlight, I thought that was stupid. My Grandfather was up before the sun rose, and in the field till it was too dark to work. Sometimes a little later if they were running combines with big lights. He cut hay when it was sunny. He worried more about rain than the clock.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Give that the vast majority of kids no longer walk or bicycle to school, is this particular "it's for the CHILDREN" disruption of EVERYBODY's life really still 'a thing'?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

For the most part, farm life now days does not provide enough income to keep a family going unless its on a pretty large scale. For the farmers that have a job in town, daylight savings time is very valuable. We don't get to decide to just go to work an hour earlier so that we can do more work that day after we get home from work. But when the time changes, we get an extra hour to do chores while it is still daylight.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
George Hudson proposed the idea of daylight saving in 1895.[4] The German Empire and Austria-Hungary organized the first nationwide implementation, starting on April 30, 1916. Many countries have used it at various times since then, particularly since the energy crisis of the 1970s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_ ... ted_States
Most areas of the United States observe daylight saving time (DST), the exceptions being Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe daylight saving time on tribal lands),[1] Hawaii,[2] and the overseas territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
striker55

Post by striker55 »

Find your representative and let them know we don't want to change the clock http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/fi ... sentative/

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

It takes me a week to get used to the time change everytime it changes. When i woke up these last two mornings it felt like my head just hit the pillow when it was time to get up. Sipping Black Rifle coffee in my back yard before i leave for work triggers the "ON" button in me.

Return to “Off-Topic”