Being an advocate is the best way.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Being an advocate is the best way.

Post by G.A. Heath »

Yesterday I put my larger drone up to get a photo of a local school football field (artificial turf so it looks good) and was bringing the drone back to land it when a Jag with NM paper tags pulled up. The driver was somewhat confrontational and informed me that he was a pilot and I couldn't fly as close as I was to the local airport. I explained the airspace (and airport) were class golf which means that with my remote airman certificate I was legal to fly but a hobbyist was supposed to attempt to notify (I also explained that the airport is usually unattended and depending on where the manager was you might not be able to contact him). We then a "Show me your's and I'll show you mine" moment with air respective certificates which lead to a discussion about what I had to know in order to pass the exam. I then offered to let him fly the drone, and he became very interested in it, especially once he saw it wasn't a 'toy'. I walked him through taking a picture of his shiny new Jag that he drove four hours in to visit his daughter and son in law then did post processing on it using my notebook. While I was doing the post work on the photo I learned he owns an oilfield company and they typically hire helicopters to get images of a most sites they work. Now he is looking to integrate drones into his own operation in place of the helicopters they hire. He is planning to get an sUAS rating himself and put me in touch with his son-in-law who works for a company that could very easily use my drone services.

This went from a potentially dangerous, and definitely hostile, encounter to making a new friend along with getting some business contacts and potentially even a consulting contract to help him develop his own in house drone program. It's just like taking someone to the range and letting them see the gun isn't going to kill them, and best of all it is fun.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Being an advocate is the best way.

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Congrats! I hope it all works out great for you. Its not every day something like that happens.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Congrats! I hope it all works out great for you. Its not every day something like that happens.
:iagree: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Nice save!

:thewave
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

A quick link to the image that I was after can be found at: http://lonestardronography.com/wp-conte ... es-FBm.jpg

I'm not finished with post editing the image, but you can see what I am after and this one is good enough that most people will never notice the lens effects.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

flechero

Post by flechero »

Nice picture!

Return to “Off-Topic”