Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z5BjJAQr6d

Mark Zuckerberg admits Facebook scans the contents of ALL your private Messenger texts in the latest blow to the scandal hit firm.
Facebook scans the contents of messages that people send each other on its Messenger app blocking any that contravene its guidelines, it has emerged.
I'm sure FB will say they never said Messenger was "private" between the sender and recipient.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Abraham »

Can we live without the variety of internet technology? (without living completely off the charts...that is using, cash only, bartering, growing our own food, not owning a phone and so on)

If not, can we protect our personal particulars or merely make them more difficult to access for criminals be they private or governmental who mean you no good ?

Seems unlikely...

Are we, like it or not, so involved with internet we are in a word 'screwed' with zero recourse?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

Here is a post regarding a frequently asked question about MeWe.

Mark Weinstein - Admin MeWe News and Updates Featured Post

2 days ago

A question we often get is “if MeWe doesn’t have any ads or sell our data, how do you make money?”
MeWe is free for everyone because privacy is not something anyone should have to pay for. There are no ads, no fake news, no newsfeed manipulation, no facial recognition, and MeWe members are #Not4Sale. And all the great features you need to have a great experience on MeWe are free and standard.

The revenue model on MeWe is “freemium.” That means in addition to the great free standard features, there are optional special features, like extra storage (8GB is free and 50GB is $4.99 per month), Secret Chat (like WhatsApp only without their tracking bull, using the latest double ratchet encryption technology - 99 cents per month), Custom Emojis (99 cents a packet), and more.
Plus, we have a separate division, MeWePRO (https://mewepro.com) for businesses and enterprise customers. PRO replaces email for internal company communications and has a beautiful suite of fully integrated collaboration tools and the best security. It costs less than $75 per year per employee and is far superior to Slack.

You see, it is a false myth that has been spread by Facebook, Google, Snap, Instagram, and others, that our data is what we have to give up to have a great social media experience. That is a complete lie and PURE bull! Capitalism was never intended to be a system for spying on people - that’s communism and CREEPY.

Friends, Facebook is a data company, plain and simple. Their members are the products that they sell. At MeWe our members are customers to serve, not data or products to sell. That’s why we use the hashtag #Not4Sale!
MeWe: Great Communication Technology, NO bull
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Sounds good, but as one must always ask: How can you be sure MeWe is telling the truth?

What warranties do you have?

Any?

Plenty?

I'm not knocking them, but as Reagan said: Trust, but verify...if in fact all the good stuff about them is just that, they are worth every penny.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Abraham wrote:Sounds good, but as one must always ask: How can you be sure MeWe is telling the truth?

What warranties do you have?

Any?

Plenty?

I'm not knocking them, but as Reagan said: Trust, but verify...if in fact all the good stuff about them is just that, they are worth every penny.
I don't know of any way to verify. However, if the claim is false, then the corporation is setting itself up for a huge class action lawsuit.

Chas.

rotor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rotor »

Potential fine to Facebook is $40,000 per violation. If there were 80,000,000 violations that would mean a fine of $3.2 trillion dollars. Enough to build the wall and pay off a few debts. If I didn't pay my taxes I am sure that they would go after me.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In general, If you think you're not being tracked let's look at this analogy: postal analogy

Privacy, tracking and the Internet is much bigger than a bread box and it can't easily be explained.

The best analogy would be how a package moves thru the postal system. The package has a destination address like a street address or an IP address. Your IP address MUST stay attached to your package, or the package will never get delivered.

Everywhere along the way your IP address Must be captured to continue moving to the destination.

Tracking: how the captured IP address is stored for future use is where security controls come into play.

Agree?

Disagree?

If you disagree, how am I wrong?

Thanks!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:In general, If you think you're not being tracked let's look at this analogy: postal analogy

Privacy, tracking and the Internet is much bigger than a bread box and it can't easily be explained.

The best analogy would be how a package moves thru the postal system. The package has a destination address like a street address or an IP address. Your IP address MUST stay attached to your package, or the package will never get delivered.

Everywhere along the way your IP address Must be captured to continue moving to the destination.

Tracking: how the captured IP address is stored for future use is where security controls come into play.

Agree?

Disagree?

If you disagree, how am I wrong?

Thanks!
Every device that your internet traffic makes along the way to and from it's destination doesn't HAVE to log and store that information in a database for someone to analyze your traffic for advertising or law enforcement or any other reason. There is no logical reason, nor should there be a legal one, for my internet address and the address I am accessing to be captured for long term storage just because a router somewhere sent it along that path.
Frankly, it's reached a point where I don't think ANY company or government entity can be trusted not to use captured data against law abiding citizens.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

bblhd672,

So, we're in agreement?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:bblhd672,

So, we're in agreement?
Yep - companies and governments that collect massive amounts of data are not to be trusted.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Since my business has become so dependent on accessing the internet and using the tools available, I am always on the lookout for ways to mitigate the invasion of my privacy. I am not a tech wizard and do not have any real expertise in this area. For those of you that are less technically oriented like me, here are some tools that will help mitigate some of the snooping and tracking. Like I said before, it is not practical for me to just eliminate the use of the internet or certain websites and social media as many of the younger people are just not responsive to many of the older ways of marketing. On top of that, I do not have the resources to compete with the companies that have millions upon millions of dollars to budget for advertising and marketing.

Here are some tools and techniques you may find of interest if you are concerned about your privacy and being tracked.

Brave browser (pc and smartphone apps available)
StartPage for private searches
DuckDuckGo for private searches
AdBlock (for when I have to use Chrome or Edge browsers to access certain websites)
Disable 3rd party cookies
Clear browsing history, cache and cookies often.

Feel free to add to the list and share what you do to mitigate privacy invasion and tracking. Notice I said "mitigate". It is not practical or easy for the normal internet user to remain completely anonymous and leave no tracks.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grundy1133 »

mojo84 wrote:Since my business has become so dependent on accessing the internet and using the tools available, I am always on the lookout for ways to mitigate the invasion of my privacy. I am not a tech wizard and do not have any real expertise in this area. For those of you that are less technically oriented like me, here are some tools that will help mitigate some of the snooping and tracking. Like I said before, it is not practical for me to just eliminate the use of the internet or certain websites and social media as many of the younger people are just not responsive to many of the older ways of marketing. On top of that, I do not have the resources to compete with the companies that have millions upon millions of dollars to budget for advertising and marketing.

Here are some tools and techniques you may find of interest if you are concerned about your privacy and being tracked.

Brave browser (pc and smartphone apps available)
StartPage for private searches
DuckDuckGo for private searches
AdBlock (for when I have to use Chrome or Edge browsers to access certain websites)
Disable 3rd party cookies
Clear browsing history, cache and cookies often.

Feel free to add to the list and share what you do to mitigate privacy invasion and tracking. Notice I said "mitigate". It is not practical or easy for the normal internet user to remain completely anonymous and leave no tracks.
i use firefox or Tor browser. duckduckgo is the only search engine i'd trust... and i use a paid VPN service that doesn't keep logs. i know im not 100% anonymous but im pretty darn close lol.
NRA Member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Mitigate...ok.

I'm not certain how to ask, but have you any clue as to how high a % of mitigation can one expect?

A lot?

A very small amount?

Or can never be known?

Like you my technical experience or I should say (in my case) lack thereof leaves me in the dark.

If, say 'mitigation' is high, well great.

If 'mitigation' is so low, it may not be worth what effort we put into it. How can we be certain that (for instance) 'Disable 3rd party cookies' is really disabled?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but have very little trust in anything to do within the world of the internet.

Oh, btw, I found out some servers (once you leave them, can be instructed to automatically clear browsing history) but how can we be certain of that?

At this point, 'anything' we do to help us sounds terrific, like all your suggestions, but what's to insure it happen given the internet's notoriety.

Maybe everything we do to make us think this or that action will benefit us when doing so is secretly being laughed at by those pulling the internet levers behind the scenes.

Yeah, I'm skeptical of all things internet pro and con....

Just know everything about you is known and stored.

Return to “Off-Topic”