Book review: I’M FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND I’M HERE TO KILL YOU

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Book review: I’M FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND I’M HERE TO KILL YOU

Post by bblhd672 »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -here-to-/
The careful, documented drumbeat of chapters shocks, numbs and then frightens the reader with case after case of tens of thousands of American citizens who have been blown up, poisoned, shot, burned, radiated, assassinated and used as human lab rats — killed through negligence, through hubris, through agency-building and often as publicity events designed to increase government funding.
I will be getting this one to read.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Book review: I’M FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND I’M HERE TO KILL YOU

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just ordered it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Is that about the Weaver murders? Waco?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

anygunanywhere wrote:Is that about the Weaver murders? Waco?
https://www.fromthegovernment.com

It does cover Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Ordered a copy, arriving tomorrow.
The story begins with the Texas City disaster of 1947, where the government (needing fertilizer for the Marshall Plan) decided that a certain high explosive would make good fertilizer, produced it under dangerous conditions, and shipped it to the port of Texas City. Four million pounds of it detonated. 600 Americans died, and the town was devastated.

The resulting lawsuit went to the Supreme Court -- which ruled that the government could not be sued, no matter how shocking its negligence had been.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Cool. Just ordered one. Thanks for the info!
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

The very reason we the people should have military grade weapons.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

bblhd672 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Is that about the Weaver murders? Waco?
https://www.fromthegovernment.com

It does cover Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Ordered a copy, arriving tomorrow.
The story begins with the Texas City disaster of 1947, where the government (needing fertilizer for the Marshall Plan) decided that a certain high explosive would make good fertilizer, produced it under dangerous conditions, and shipped it to the port of Texas City. Four million pounds of it detonated. 600 Americans died, and the town was devastated.

The resulting lawsuit went to the Supreme Court -- which ruled that the government could not be sued, no matter how shocking its negligence had been.
The incredible amount of stupidity that went into the Texas City disaster is amazing, the entire incident was handled in such a manner that it was like they intended to make the ship's cargo explode! The people in charge did everything wrong! From not posting guards to assure nobody smoked around the bags of ammonia nitrate, to the ships captain closing the hatches and using steam to fight the smoldering fire!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The more of the book I read the less I trust that the federal government has any concern for the general well being of the people.
The lies, deceit, cover ups and legitimization of it by the federal courts is appalling.
Sad, so very sad, what has become of this experiment in government by the people, for the people and of the people.

equin

Post by equin »

Hi Folks,

I haven’t read the book, but I’m sure it contains some doosies on government wrongdoing and negligence resulting in injuries and deaths. I don’t mean to diminish or cast aside the pain suffered by the victims of government abuse. But as a government employee, I admit bias when I say that I and the vast majority of my fellow colleagues very much love our country and work hard to protect and serve our fellow citizens. Many of my coworkers are also vets and strong 2A supporters, despite what some may otherwise believe. We’re just regular American folks who still believe in our country and in our democratic, republican form of government with its three branches for checks and balances. I know there are always a few bad apples who make everyone else look bad, but most of us are honest working folks trying to do the best we can for our country and our fellow Americans.

As an example, when the ebola outbreak hit Dallas, many federal employees from the CDC mobilized to assist Dallas County. Employees from the EPA mobilized to assist the city with potential sewer contamination from possible ebola-infected waste in sewer drainage systems.

When the Deepwater Horizon tragedy killed a score of people and spilled millions of barrels of crude, a whole slew of us mobilized to assist the affected states, counties and parishes, often getting no sleep for days that summer all while away from home and family.

If you’re in a foreign country and get thrown in jail and are facing beatings and torture by your jailers (a much more common occurrence than most of us think), State Department employees open backdoor channels to assist and seek fair and humane treatment, including medical treatment if nevessary, while in custody.

Border Patrol Agents routinely risk their lives working alone at night in very remote areas as they try to interdict brutal cartel traffickers who have mo qualms killing them on the spot.

When a salmonella or e-coli outbreak occurs in the food supply, USDA and CDC workers mobilize to trace the source and protect fellow Americans from further food-borne illness and possible death.
Ed

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

equin wrote:I haven’t read the book
Then I challenge you to do so. The "doosies" you reference include men, women and children burned to death, young men shot in the back and mothers shot while holding their child, veterans who died waiting on treatment while government workers forged records, agencies allowing hundreds of semi-automatic weapons to be purchased and passed to Mexican drug cartels - resulting in the death of one of those Border Patrol agents you said had a dangerous job. "Doosies" like government sanctioned medical experiments on black Americans with syphilis that resulted in many deaths that could have been prevented, the destruction of a Texas port city with 581 Americans killed and more.

Read the book. Perhaps it will help you and your fellow government employees to effect change so that these "doosies" are no longer perpetrated upon your employers, the people of America.

equin

Post by equin »

Oh, don't get me wrong. It sounds like a very interesting book, and I probably will put it on my list to read. I also didn't mean to lessen or dispute that wrongs have been committed by government. We're all imperfect beings and improvements can always be made. I just wanted to dispel any portrayal that all of us government employees are uncaring evil-doers out to do harm, to the extent that book makes such a portrayal. But you're right. I should read it first before I even attempt to make such an assumption.
Ed

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

equin wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong. It sounds like a very interesting book, and I probably will put it on my list to read. I also didn't mean to lessen or dispute that wrongs have been committed by government. We're all imperfect beings and improvements can always be made. I just wanted to dispel any portrayal that all of us government employees are uncaring evil-doers out to do harm, to the extent that book makes such a portrayal. But you're right. I should read it first before I even attempt to make such an assumption.
I have no doubt that the rank and file gov’t employees reflect all of of the prejudice/fairness, desires/hatreds, goodness/evil, and industriousness/fecklessness of the population at large. But I do not believe that is true about upper level management of almost any gov’t agency you care to name. They are a breed apart, who believe that they are above accountability to the law, that the law is for the little people but not them, and who are as corrupt as the day is long.

Examples that come to mind: I’m willing to concede that the average Security Branch of the DNC (AKA “FBI”) agent is a hard working LEO just tying to do the job right. And then there’s James Comey and Robert Mueller. I’m willing to concede that the average federal prosecutor is probably a hard-nosed defender of The People’s interests. And then there’s Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch ..... or Jeff Sessions and John Mitchell. There’s the average IRS investigator just trying to do an unpopular job, and then there’s Lois Lerner.....the kind of person who makes people in that job unpopular.

Anytime a gov’t employee uses, or allows someone else to use his/her position to act politically instead of as an employee of The People; any time a gov’t employee forgets who is master and who is servant; that is a gov’t employee that gives everyone else working for gov’t a black eye.

When SCOTUS ruled that fedgov’t could not be sued, no matter how egregious the gov’t’s actions, THAT was a huge mistake and miscarriage of justice. The gov’t that even thought to seek that outcome in court is a gov’t that had already lost sight of who is master, and who is servant.....and it hasn’t gotten any better.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”