Who Eats Baby Goat Or Also Known As Cabrito?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

curryman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who Eats Baby Goat Or Also Known As Cabrito?

Post by curryman »

My local (Dallas) michoacana sells goat, lamb and rabbit if they have it.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Abraham wrote:That's a good tip as I know where a Halal butcher shop is located.
Maybe it is just me but I still find the halal and kosher method of slaughter disturbing. I won't buy it or have it off a menu if it is so noted.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

couzin wrote:
Abraham wrote:That's a good tip as I know where a Halal butcher shop is located.
Maybe it is just me but I still find the halal and kosher method of slaughter disturbing. I won't buy it or have it off a menu if it is so noted.
It is the fastest and most human way to end the life of the animal before processing. All the Middle East and North Africa and many other countries do slaughtering using the traditional way.
1) Sharp Slaughtering knife would immediately cut the blood flow and airway to the brain.
2) The animal will loose consciousness very quickly almost in seconds
3) The heart would keep pumping blood out until it is drained out of the body (90% or more of the blood)
4) Only uncontrollable and auto-reflex moment may happen until the blood (and O2) is out of the muscle systems.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I'll just eat this here slice of pizza.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Cabrito is OK but I prefer to grab a 65-70 lb. mutton that has been out in the brush all it's life. Cook that goat in a pit in the ground low & slow all day long. The meat is to die for. Been doing that all my life and when word got out that I was gonna kill a goat to cook we best prepare for a group of folks to come over. May have to do one this weekend!! :thumbs2:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

krieghoff wrote:Cabrito is OK but I prefer to grab a 65-70 lb. mutton that has been out in the brush all it's life. Cook that goat in a pit in the ground low & slow all day long. The meat is to die for. Been doing that all my life and when word got out that I was gonna kill a goat to cook we best prepare for a group of folks to come over. May have to do one this weekend!! :thumbs2:
Yeah, when we have a feast, we have 2 of those.

Last time, I hunted a Ram, it was more than 140 lbs unprocessed. It had bones stronger than my saw!
Cooked slow as in overnight slow, the melting meat spread over a mountain of Basmati rice, Cashew, Pistachio, nuts and raisin, and spices.
Yummy!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Kroger had boneless ribeyes for $5.99/pound yesterday.
Not as interesting as the fare in this thread, but delicious nonetheless.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

The best I had was while at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was in the market area. This was in 1986! :lol::
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don't know where to buy Cabrito, uncooked, but Mercardo Juarez restaurant serves the best I've had. There is one located on the both side of Ft Worth, and one in Arlington near the Rudys where we have our breakfast meet ups. There may be other locations, but I'm not aware of them.

I would look for Mexican, or Middle Eastern meat markets, if you can't find a breeder, who will process one for you.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

AndyC wrote: ..... 'cept Brussel Sprouts.
Ever tried them roasted with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar? Mmm.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PriestTheRunner wrote:Buy live and take to a deer processor. Same thing with sheep.

It brings the costs up, but your only other option is to go to the Middle-East/Near East sections of town and (sometimes) buy there.
In my family, we used to put on a méchoui once in a while - which is a middle eastern BBQ of a whole goat or sheep roasted long and slow on a spit over a pit of embers. It’s an Arabic thing, usually served up with couscous and other side dishes, complemented with a hot sauce that would make the most hardened Mexican beg for mercy. I believe the hot sauce is made from ground up barbed wire, black powder, magma, broken glass, LSD, and a little bit of red dye #2. It explains a LOT of what goes on in the Middle East.

But if you leave the traditional Arabic hot sauce off of your food like any rational person would do, and maybe substitute something a little less corrosive to human tissues, a méchoui is a thing of beauty, and I think it is a lot like cabrito. The meat is beautifully tender, juicy, and just falls off the bone, with just enough of the wonderfully carmelized burnt bits of “meat candy” on the ends to bring tears of gratitude to your eyes. Served up with that couscous, it is an amazing and memorable meal.

Here is what a méchoui looks like:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”