US Military Veterans: tattered US flag etiquette question.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

US Military Veterans: tattered US flag etiquette question.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I appreciate those who fly the American flag, but occasionally I have spoken to
customers who are flying tattered flags, letting them know that it disrespects the flag, and they should
retire it and get a new one.

Well, one of these customers called my boss and told him about our conversation.
They told him that the reason their US flag was tattered was because it had been flown in a war
zone, and had sentimental value for that reason.

My boss suggested that they retire the flag from outdoor duty and display it inside in a shadow box,
or some such.

"Why don't you guys just mind your own business about our flag?" End of complaint call.

The reason that I aim this question to US military veterans is because they have probably had more
flag etiquette education than most folks, and they may have additional perspective on the fact the
the above-mentioned flag was flown in a war zone.

Well, IMHO, if you are flying a flag outside your home, passersby will not know it was flown in a war
zone and has sentimental value that way.....all they will see is a US flag flown in a disrespectful condition.

The floor is open.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

bblhd672

Re: US Military Veterans: tattered US flag etiquette question.

Post by bblhd672 »

It irritates me when I see tattered flags flying in front of businesses and residences. I believe it is disrespectful.

If it was flown in a war zone and is sentimental, then so be it. This veteran won't do anything about it, but there are some who may decide to remove it themselves.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

Well, IMHO, I wouldn't be allowed to wear a torn uniform in the service, even if it was worn during war. I could wear it around town but I would have to remove the ARMY tag as it would represent disrespect tords the military.

That flag is cool! But I don't think it should be on a flag poll. It belongs hung up on a wall.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

4 USC, Chapter 1, Section 8
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... -chap1.htm

US Army Regulation 840-10, Chapter 1-7
h. Unserviceable flags. Unserviceable flags will not be used for banners or any other purpose. When a flag is no longer suitable for display, it will not be cast aside or used in any way that may be viewed as disrespectful. If not preserved as specified in chapters 2, 5, 6, and 10, it will be destroyed privately, preferably by burning, shredding, or by some other method that does not show irreverence or disrespect to the flag.
https://www.heraldry.army.mil/heraldryh ... Plates.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

oljames3 wrote:4 USC, Chapter 1, Section 8
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... -chap1.htm

US Army Regulation 840-10, Chapter 1-7
h. Unserviceable flags. Unserviceable flags will not be used for banners or any other purpose. When a flag is no longer suitable for display, it will not be cast aside or used in any way that may be viewed as disrespectful. If not preserved as specified in chapters 2, 5, 6, and 10, it will be destroyed privately, preferably by burning, shredding, or by some other method that does not show irreverence or disrespect to the flag.
https://www.heraldry.army.mil/heraldryh ... Plates.pdf

:patriot:
I like getting old ones from people and places and giving them to the VFW or AMERICAN LEGION. They perform a service as needed and destroy them properly. Plus, it gives the members something to do; I respectfully say that.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Having the flag and displaying it indoors is very nice.

Flying the flag is not! It will only become more tattered and that is very disrespectful.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

If it's personal and private property, I'd go with the MYOB. Public/military institutions should certainly follow flag etiquette.

Personally, I fly a cheapie on my flagpole and replace it when worn. My flags that flew over the U.S. Capitol and my former command when I retired, are kept inside.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It all depends on the exact situation. I would go with MYOB if this is privately owned property and you are a vendor of theirs, especially if you are not the owner of your company. You are a representative of your company, so I would be sure that I understood how the company owner wanted me to proceed before bringing this up with the business.

On the other hand, as an individual customer at a retail location, restaurant, etc., I would definitely let that business know of my displeasure with their improper display. If this was a neighbor, I might try to strike up a conversation with them and invite them over for dinner. One of many topics could then be the proper display of the U.S. flag.

Unfortunately, we ultimately cannot control what others do on their private property. Just be glad that they aren't trying to dictate what color underwear you can wear when you visit, or similar ridiculous, overbearing, things like whether you have a CCW.

Return to “Off-Topic”