Pro basketball player Sterling Brown gets tased for parking violation

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Pro basketball player Sterling Brown gets tased for parking violation

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Textbook case of "nothing good happens at 2am".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 66631.html

I come across a car parked crossways by the door of a business at 2am, my first suspicions are going to be 1) armed robbery in progress and 2) DUI. Alternate option "[n] self-entitled bitchy pro sports figure" is not going to be on my radar. Seven foot tall 20-something in a long hooded coat with thick gold chains coming out the door is only going to reinforce my suspicions of 1 and 2.

Park your ride like one of us unimportant little people, between the lines in a non-handicapped space, even at 2 am, and you won't get tased, bro!
"rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pro basketball player Sterling Brown gets tased for parking violation

Post by carlson1 »

Rather or not he was being harassed to me is not the issue. The issue is he was not pollite and did not follow the officers instruction. Had he done that he would have went home without confrontation. Then he could come back with his attorney. The street/side of the road is not the place to argue of your rights. :banghead:

Allons

Post by Allons »

The majority of LEO bad encounters are people not complying with officers commands. You don't comply, you get tased now its law enforcement's fault. Yeah ok.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

"The street/side of the road is not the place to argue of your rights."

If more people would simply understand when L.E. tells you something, just listen and do what the heck you're told.

If what you're told isn't right, you'll get your day in court.

Loud mouth 'know it all' sidewalk lawyers should (my opinion) be cuffed and stuffed.

They can speak to the judge/jp in the morning, until then sit in jail (and wonder if their 'you don't know who I' am and how important I am) nonsense can be re-contemplated.

Sadly, a lot of millennials have adopted this attitude of righteousness when they've acted wrongly and suddenly come into contact with L.E.

Then when reality smacks them in the face there's a lot of tears and anguish....but, but, when I have a hissy fit with mom or dad I always get my way...what happened here...cuffs and jail, oh man, I must be on another planet, I've always gotten my way...until now.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Abraham wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:09 pm "The street/side of the road is not the place to argue of your rights."

If more people would simply understand when L.E. tells you something, just listen and do what the heck you're told.

If what you're told isn't right, you'll get your day in court.
And if the courts don't make it right?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Did he get tased for the parking violation or how he responded to the officer?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

mojo84 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm Did he get tased for the parking violation or how he responded to the officer?
It looks to me like he got tazzed because the officer didn't like what the guy was saying and was acting like a complete donkey. The ball player wasn't very respectful, but I don't think thats a justifiable reason to taze someone. Its Milwalkee so anything is possible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Liberty wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:55 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm Did he get tased for the parking violation or how he responded to the officer?
It looks to me like he got tazzed because the officer didn't like what the guy was saying and was acting like a complete donkey. The ball player wasn't very respectful, but I don't think thats a justifiable reason to taze someone. Its Milwalkee so anything is possible.
So he didn't get tased for a parking violation as the title suggests?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

mojo84 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm
I think mostly for being a donkey. But then again I'm not a lawyer mindreader or LEO.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Liberty wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm
I think mostly for being a donkey. But then again I'm not a lawyer mindreader or LEO.
I think the answer is obvious enough you shouldn't need to be any of those to make a determination.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

If people keep annoying LEO's and saying impolite things to them they are going to get shot or tazed. If a LEO tells you to dance an Irish Jig, your toes better darn well be tapping and you don't need to argue that you're Hispanic so you should be doing a Latin Rumba. Don't argue on the side of the road, DANCE!!! :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 pm If people keep annoying LEO's and saying impolite things to them they are going to get shot or tazed. If a LEO tells you to dance an Irish Jig, your toes better darn well be tapping and you don't need to argue that you're Hispanic so you should be doing a Latin Rumba. Don't argue on the side of the road, DANCE!!! :mad5
I disagree, a citizen does not lose all rights and agency just because a police officer says so. There might be no good choices but the individual always has a choice.

FWIW Daniel Shaver's choice was to try and comply with all the dumb orders he was given and was still killed for it.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

O.F.Fascist wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 pm If people keep annoying LEO's and saying impolite things to them they are going to get shot or tazed. If a LEO tells you to dance an Irish Jig, your toes better darn well be tapping and you don't need to argue that you're Hispanic so you should be doing a Latin Rumba. Don't argue on the side of the road, DANCE!!! :mad5
I disagree, a citizen does not lose all rights and agency just because a police officer says so. There might be no good choices but the individual always has a choice.

FWIW Daniel Shaver's choice was to try and comply with all the dumb orders he was given and was still killed for it.
I would argue more bad than good happens when you refuse to do what you are told. You can go ahead and resist what you are told, but I will follow instructions, hope for the best, and see the officer in court later.

There is only a small percentage of LEO contacts that turn bad, but it is played over and over in the news so it appears to happen “all the time.” 10,000 traffic stops happen and 10 go bad so we play those ten over and over on the news until we can convince the shallow minded that when the police confronts you it turns into harassment, tazed, and an arrest. Bull Butter!

If you get stopped for speeding being red, yellow, black, and white the percentage of you getting a ticket is great and it has nothing to do with the color of your skin in 98% of those stops. Bad employees in every business.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Watching the video, things went south for Sterling when he was asked to get his hands out of his pocket and he did not. That is when the officers got "active". Sterling really messed up there and brought this on himself. Hands in the pocket can lead to bad things happening to police so they will take action to make things safe for themselves.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

The police department said, their officers actions were wrong. We can type all we want, but when your boss look at your actions and say there was a better way to handle things. I say "Wow." Moral of the story don't park in two lanes, if you are a person of color in Milwaukee. This is the second incident in Milwaukee involving a person of color that could have been handled better.

Return to “Off-Topic”