Do unto others as you would have someone do for you.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Do unto others as you would have someone do for you.

Post by RoyGBiv »

TAM.... :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Pilgrim
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Pilgrim »

I appreciate your post Tam. It definitely takes wisdom and discernment in any giving situation.
In the post I accidentally deleted bigtec I also thought Roy made a good point about the wife defending herself.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

Plainly, we all have different views regarding when we'll step in with a gun to help prevent what we perceive as a crime.

If the view of 'I got an LTC for me and mine only' angers you, well ok, but it's that person's right.

Others can do the same and if they choose not to, I'm not necessarily going to help them - yeah, I'll be a good witness. If that attitude makes you unhappy, too bad they didn't go through the bother of getting an LTC, spend the money and time, buy a good gun and take the time to train.

The next person may step up to prevent a crime with his gun without knowing all the facts i.e., turns out what he thought he perceived wasn't the case at all as he wasn't fully informed regarding the situation. Example: You see 2 guys pounding 1 guy. You step in. Boom. Then it transpires the 2 were plain clothes cops were stopping an armed robber and you shot them.

There are a jillion examples of why stepping up to the plate with your gun can be a wildly mistaken idea.

And sometimes, it's clearly not. Or so you think. You could be wrong. If not great...

Stepping in with your gun is an extremely personal decision...and you better be in the right or the wrath of the judicial system will come crashing down on your head with jail/prison time, humiliation, and enormous lawyer fees.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 am
If the view of 'I got an LTC for me and mine only' angers you, well ok, but it's that person's right.

Maybe you should follow your own advice with regard to people that are more willing to help others than you are and stop insulting people with the wannabe LEO and "implied LEO" comments.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Mojo84,

You like me, you really really like me as per Sally Fields, given any time I post you're there stalking, er, following me...

We can agree to disagree civilly or you can go on being the ...way you are.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

"stop insulting people with the wannabe LEO and "implied LEO" comments."

If I'm being insulting, I'm certain the powers that be will let me know.

I get to have my opinion much as that galls you...

You, my friend desperately want to censor others opinions, don't get to and are upset.

I understand.

Nothing I can do about it, but wish you well.

Oak Threeper

Post by Oak Threeper »

Some people don't save for retirement, but that doesn't give them a right to my retirement savings, even if the tax-funded social security checks are not enough for their lifestyle.

Some people don't carry for self defense, but that doesn't give them a right to my protection, even if the tax-funded police protection is not enough for their lifestyle.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Oak Threeper,

According to some, you should do for them what they weren't willing to do for themselves.

Otherwise, you're not worthy.

Given certain circumstances (this caveat drives the altruistic at any cost crowd bonkers) I owe you my life, savings, house, etc if found guilty with my help through some screwy jury verdict.

Aint gonna happen.

Oh, that attitude angers some.

It's not the 1850's, it's 2018 and if you in your goodness decide to help, it may come back to haunt you.

Here's an example for ya: About 3 years ago, I saw my nearest neighbor being chased into his house by one of his drinking buddies. Turns out he provoked his buddy by being insulting and the guy had had enough, both drunk. At first, I thought of immediately helping my neighbor with my gun. I'm half the size of the chaser. After my neighbor came out of his house after his drinking buddy left, I asked what happened. He candidly admitted it was his fault. He knew he was angering his drinking buddy by goading him about his ex-wife. I'm so glad I didn't involve myself and my gun into this ugly equation. I came close as I knew calling the cops would be too late and my neighbor could've be beaten to a pulp. (which as it turned he would've deserved)

Now imagine, my neighbors attacker is dead, the witnesses point out my neighbor caused the scenario.

Great, now I'm in jail, awaiting trial, probably going to prison for ostensibly doing he right thing.

Oak Threeper

Post by Oak Threeper »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am "“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
Considering the context of the original quote, that is especially true when agents of the government do evil by violating the rights of citizens.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Here's an old sayin' that, IMHO, fits this thread, "...look before you leap...".

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

Oak Threeper wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am "“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
Considering the context of the original quote, that is especially true when agents of the government do evil by violating the rights of citizens.
Or stand idly by while antifa thugs violently attack people.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Off-Topic”