Nobody but Lina Hidalgo

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Nobody but Lina Hidalgo

Post by philip964 »

Less than 10% of the people I met on my dog walk this morning were wearing masks.

Since the weather has warmed, the mask I wore when I went from my car to where I work got very hot from my breath. Had not noticed that before.

The wife has gotten out the sewing machine and is making fabric masks. She found a how to on You Tube from JoAnne's fabrics.

Lord, some how I am now involved due to a pleating issue. The lady doesn't hold the sample still very long so you can see how it is pleated. So I have to pause the video, If anyone wants to help us out, please, please, help me.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Rafe wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:51 pm Okay. So I watched part of Judge Lina (aka "Dora the Explorer") Hidalgo's daily SARAside Press Conference today. There was much touching of face masks, but it didn't occur to me until the final few minutes televised on KPRC to grab a pen and keep a tally.

A refresher: If you wear a mask, every inhaled breath comes through the fabric/material, which means it becomes a collection/trapping filter for everything on the outside you're breathing in. That means touching the mask with your hands is potentially much worse than simply touching your face to, say, brush back hair or scratch your chin. Dora the Explorer's executive order for face masks to be worn throughout Harris County went into effect today; failure to comply carries up to s $1,000 fine and is technically, under GC 408, a Class B misdemeanor.

My tally lasted only from 11:35 to 11:44, just after Q&A started and KPRC moved back to other news programming. The speakers were Dora the Explorer herself (her county website here: https://cjo.harriscountytx.gov/), and Dr. Umair A. Shah, MD, MPH, Executive Director of Harris County Public Health (http://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/About/Leadership).

Lina Hidalgo: 11:35 - 11:37 - Touched mask 3 times, once was a full left-hand palm on the mask to adjust it, then she placed that hand on the side of the podium.

Umair Shah: 11:37 - 11:42 - Touched mask 12 times.

Lina Hidalgo: 11:42 - 11:44 - Touched mask 7 times; this was while responding to a question, which evidently caused her to have more nervous hand activity than she did during the prepared statement.

So in all, over a period of only 9 minutes, the county judge who issued the face-mask order and the MD who leads Harris County Public Health, reached up and touched their face masks 22 times. That means, collectively, they reached up and touched their masks an average of once every 24.6 seconds, or about 2.4 times every minute. That works out to an amazing 144 touches per hour. Without a mask on and under normal, non-coronavirus conditions, the average person touches his or her face roughly 16 times per hour. The highest number came from a 2015 study of medical students in Australia, where they touched their faces 23 times per hour (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... -your-face).

Way to lead by example, Harris County! Order mandatory face masks, then proceed to, on network television in your press conferences, do the very worst thing you can do--continually touch the front of your own masks--and do so 900% more often than the typical person touches his or her face.

Good job!

I think this would be more effective for them.

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grayling813 »

She’s an idiot...no offense intended to other idiots.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Our governor just took her power and all the county judges power to impose fines and jail time on us. Lol.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Nuts wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 pm Our governor just took her power and all the county judges power to impose fines and jail time on us. Lol.
Link?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:51 pm
Nuts wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 pm Our governor just took her power and all the county judges power to impose fines and jail time on us. Lol.
Link?
I don’t have a link. I guess you can google it, but during Governor Abbott’s news conference he said his executive order supersedes any local orders.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:51 pm
Link?
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/27 ... ronavirus/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank the Lord for Abbott. Can you imagine if we had a leftist tyrant?

Rafe
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Rafe »

parabelum wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 pm Thank the Lord for Abbott. Can you imagine if we had a leftist tyrant?
And the Harris County face mask "order" is for 30 days. By my calculation that would have equaled 34,560 mask-touches for Lina. Now no longer an order but a recommendation. As it should have been all along. The Class B penalty authority supposedly came from GC 408 as being under a disaster declaration but Governor Abbott pulled that rug out from under them.

Was an interesting day. Hidalgo's mask-touching marathon came first. A couple of hours later, Governor Abbott's press conference. Then Sylvester Turner's followed around 3:30...and he was clearly not a happy camper. Turner spent about 15 minutes repeating over and over that there had been 74 new cases and 4 deaths in the Houston in the past 24 hours, and that the governor's directive overrides local authority. Basically what he kept repeating was, "The Republican governor made this decision. Not us Houston democrats. We don't think it's a good idea. If you die because of this, don't blame us."
Governor Greg Abbott wrote: We strongly recommend that everyone wear a mask. However, it's not a mandate. And we'll make clear that no jurisdiction can impose any type of penalty or fine for anyone not wearing a mask. Everyone should be encouraged, but by my executive order, it supersedes local orders with regard to any type of fine or penalty for anyone not wearing a mask.
Ka-boom. ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I see Acevedo's answer matched Ron Nirenberg's (San Antonio mayor) answer. We will go to the businesses and get them to tell you to wear a mask. Then we can arrest you for criminal trespass if you don't wear it and don't refuse to leave. They are right, but it is sure looking for trouble IMO.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 17

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/south-korean-stu ... 45333.html

Kill your grandma. Well one of the released felons almost did.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I went to my local Kroger's market here in west Houston yesterday. This is right here in my neighborhood. I CC nearly 100% of the time, yet the managers all know I carry (primarily because two of them have taken their LTC course from me).

Over the weekend, I mentioned to one of the managers that if Lina was going to use the threat of Class B to make me wear a mask, then I'm going to do it on my own terms. Yes, I'd already heard about how the governor effectively negated the county judge's order, but my quick visit to the store yesterday afternoon entailed:
  • Cowboy Hat
  • Boots
  • Bandana tied around my face 'bandito' style
  • Open carried 1911 in my RD Warren gunleather rig
  • RD Warren two-mag carrier on my weak side
  • a huge sarcastic smile hidden under my 'mask'
The head cashier saw me coming and commented loudly about my getup, happily thanking me for wearing what I'd promised to wear as soon as the mask order was in place. Needless to say, I got a few sideways glances from the few folks in line at the self-checkout counter, but for the most part, all I received was the social-distancing equipment of a 'pat on the back' from most everyone I saw.

It was a successful outing, after all.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

parabelum wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 pm Thank the Lord for Abbott. Can you imagine if we had a leftist tyrant?
Good thing we just have a right wing one. Abbott is following the guidelines pushed down from the powers on high who have crafted this situation.
A real freedom and liberty governor would be listening to more than just the “approved” voices.

Terryr21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Terryr21 »

I loved how Abbott pretty much implied that Lina Hidalgo can now go pound sound. Made my day.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Rafe »

Terryr21 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am I loved how Abbott pretty much implied that Lina Hidalgo can now go pound sound. Made my day.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”