TX: Dallas mom sentenced to week in jail for refusing to apologize to judge

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

TX: Dallas mom sentenced to week in jail for refusing to apologize to judge

Post by philip964 »

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2020/0 ... -lockdown/

Wanting to feed her kids is not selfish.

Opened Dallas hair salon violating judges order.

I’ve seen a post wanting him voted out in November.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Re: TX: Dallas mom sentenced to week in jail for refusing to apologize to judge

Post by Rafe »

Saw this today on Fox News. Evidently, the hearing was being conducted yesterday at exactly the same time Governor Abbott was holding his press conference announcing that, in part, salons like hers would be allowed to reopen the day after tomorrow.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I have a problem with this statement from the judge:
Prior to her statement, Judge Moyé said she must see the errors of her ways and “understand that the society cannot function where one’s own belief in a concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials.”
Steve Rothstein

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

srothstein wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am I have a problem with this statement from the judge:
Prior to her statement, Judge Moyé said she must see the errors of her ways and “understand that the society cannot function where one’s own belief in a concept of liberty permits you to flaunt your disdain for the rulings of duly elected officials.”
Me too srothstein, I have a BIG problem w/ it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

srothstein wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am I have a problem with this statement from the judge:
Like TAM has said, scratch a lefty and you smell a tyrant.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jason812

Post by jason812 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am
Like TAM has said, scratch a lefty and you smell a tyrant.
She should have requested a jury trial.

I sent the judge an email. I don't expect a reply.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I agree with everything that has been said here, and I applaud her efforts, she knew what was going to happen to her. If she was truly opening to feed her kids, she will have a hard time doing so in jail. Seems she would have been a lot better off just doing what he asked and waiting 4 more days to reopen. As for her employees, they could file unemployment. Or, why didn't she file for the PPP loan to pay her employees through this? Then, after she reopens, put up a campaign to elect someone else in place of the judge. The way she tore up the order so defiantly, seems she was just looking for her 15 minutes of fame
In this economy I will do what I have to do to feed my kids and actually am. Daughter and SIL both laid off so we bought them groceries to last a couple of weeks.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

rtschl
Posts in topic: 10

Post by rtschl »

RPBrown wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:12 pm Although I agree with everything that has been said here, and I applaud her efforts, she knew what was going to happen to her. If she was truly opening to feed her kids, she will have a hard time doing so in jail. Seems she would have been a lot better off just doing what he asked and waiting 4 more days to reopen. As for her employees, they could file unemployment. Or, why didn't she file for the PPP loan to pay her employees through this? Then, after she reopens, put up a campaign to elect someone else in place of the judge. The way she tore up the order so defiantly, seems she was just looking for her 15 minutes of fame
In this economy I will do what I have to do to feed my kids and actually am. Daughter and SIL both laid off so we bought them groceries to last a couple of weeks.
I too applaud what she has done - very brave person who is trying to survive.

Gov. Abbott announced the new earlier date of openings for salons and barbershops during or just after her sentencing - no way she knew that it was going to be opened up sooner than previously announced.

Per previous news reports she said she paid her business rent this month instead of her home mortgage so she wouldn't lose her business where she has multiple stylists who work there who also would be out of business. It wasn't just her that was impacted by not being able to work and feed their families and put a roof over their heads.

My understanding is that she did file for PPP loan - but as we know the funds ran out and a lot of small businesses were left with no options. Also I personally know people who have been desperately trying to file for unemployment but cannot get through to even file for it.

This is a travesty of justice and Gov. Abbott should pardon her immediatedly!
Ron
NRA Member

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Flightmare »

RPBrown wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:12 pm Although I agree with everything that has been said here, and I applaud her efforts, she knew what was going to happen to her. If she was truly opening to feed her kids, she will have a hard time doing so in jail. Seems she would have been a lot better off just doing what he asked and waiting 4 more days to reopen. As for her employees, they could file unemployment. Or, why didn't she file for the PPP loan to pay her employees through this? Then, after she reopens, put up a campaign to elect someone else in place of the judge. The way she tore up the order so defiantly, seems she was just looking for her 15 minutes of fame
According to her testimony during the hearing, she does not pay the stylists directly, the customers/clients do. That would imply that she merely owns the salon and rents booths to stylists. How would a PPP loan help in this case?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My thoughts as well. He's saying obey a politicians edicts or suffer the consequences. You vill obey und you vill do it now!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I doubt she qualifies for the PPP because hair salons owners don't pay their stylist. The stylists contract to occupy (rent) a chair and pay the owner a percentage of their fees.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am Like TAM has said, scratch a lefty and you smell a tyrant.
Wait. What? TAM said that? You do know that TAM is left-handed...
:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

rtschl
Posts in topic: 10

Post by rtschl »

AG Paxton has called for her immediate release from jail:

Ron
NRA Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

“That you owe an apology to the elected officials who you disrespected by flagrantly ignoring, and in one case defiling, their orders you now know obviously apply to you,” Moyé lectured. “That you understand that the proper way in which an ordered society to engage concerns that you might have had is to hire a lawyer and advocate for change an exception or an amendment to laws that you find offensive.”
I was unaware any laws have been passed closing businesses. In Harris County it is by edict from a County Commissioner.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Her gofundme page has reached $250K toward the current goal of $500K which may be raised due to the projected court costs as this moves forward. Since the funds are under her sole power, I'm assuming that she can use them help feed her kids. At least I hope so.

She had no chance of feeding her kids without the defiance. Yes, she might have handled it better but when you are playing with someone like Judge Jenkins, I submit that brinkmanship has to be part of the equation. If she had taken a "harvey milktoast" approach, I doubt that she would have gotten the public support that she now has. One of the groups that I belong to was on Commerce street this morning, protesting for her. She drew a group of armed supporters. BTW, they were the same ones, according to a local flower shop owner in Odesssa, who went to the opening of a gym in Odessa and then moved to the bar where they were arrested and made the news themselves in that situation.

I believe that the chances of replacing Judge Jenkins in Dallas County are extremely remote. Just as the chances were of replacing Judge Whitlley in Tarrant County were before he finally decided to retire. I was personally at loggerheads with Judge Whitley back in the early 2000s and ended up selling my home there in part because he was tyrannical then. I believe that Clay Jenkins is worse.

At some point, we have to be willing to stand behind those who stand up for their individual rights. I sent her money. I would have loved to have been able to make the protest for her today. I have friends who went to her salon. It isn't much and maybe it isn't enough. But it is something.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Off-Topic”