AMC Theaters plans to go bankrupt

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

AMC Theaters plans to go bankrupt

Post by Grayling813 »

On June 3rd the theater chain announced it has “ 'substantial doubt' it can remain in business.”

Yesterday the chain removed all doubt..
AMC Theatres had unveiled plans to reopen nationwide, with masks optional for patrons, as CEO and President Adam Aron looked to avoid “political controversy.”
But AMC quickly reversed course Friday and said all patrons will be required to wear masks when theaters reopen July 15.

johncanfield

Re: AMC Theaters plans to go bankrupt

Post by johncanfield »

The best seat in the house for movies is in front of my 75" 4K Sony with 7.1 surround sound. Absolutely no reason to sit in a movie theater for big bucks.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:42 pm On June 3rd the theater chain announced it has “ 'substantial doubt' it can remain in business.”

Yesterday the chain removed all doubt..
AMC Theatres had unveiled plans to reopen nationwide, with masks optional for patrons, as CEO and President Adam Aron looked to avoid “political controversy.”
But AMC quickly reversed course Friday and said all patrons will be required to wear masks when theaters reopen July 15.
Theater chains were already having issues with attendance due to all the streaming movie services. China Virus was just a nail in the coffin. Over the past couple months I have noticed many "first released" movies showing up on the pay per view movie services. Naturally the rental prices are much much higher than third or forth stream releases. My grand daughter had been going on about the recently released troll movie for two months. China Virus kept her from being able to see it at the theater. My daughter rented it for her. It was 20 dollars to rent!!! It was still cheaper than if she and my SIL had spent money to take her to the theater. I bet other movie chains start going under before too long.
johncanfield wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:30 pm The best seat in the house for movies is in front of my 75" 4K Sony with 7.1 surround sound. Absolutely no reason to sit in a movie theater for big bucks.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I am not going to miss AMC and their 30.06 and 30.07 signs. When Cinemark, Alamo Draft House, and other local theaters that don't post 30.06 open, my wife and I will make a point of attending.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Wife and I still have free tickets to use up before the end of the year. If I have to wear a mask fine. Once then lights dim it’s coming off.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I hate to see it happening. There was a theatre (I think an AMC) down the street from me in our previous residence that had $1.99 movies. These were first-line movies about 6 months after release. I loved to go in and get some popcorn and drink, go in the theatre, hunker down in the seat and "go to the movies," like I did back in the 50s. People don't appreciate anything any more.
-Ruark

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

All of the AMC theaters around us were posted. Cinemark had a 30.07. Guess which one got my business? We drove past an AMC theater to get to the Cinemark. I know others that did the same. We may not be large in number but just a few percentage points in attendance can make a difference if you were struggling. They had a business model. It didn't work for them.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 pm I am not going to miss AMC and their 30.06 and 30.07 signs. When Cinemark, Alamo Draft House, and other local theaters that don't post 30.06 open, my wife and I will make a point of attending.
:iagree:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

AMC has been a part of life for as long as I can remember..

I think I saw the original Alien at an AMC.

We used to go almost every week.

Three years ago that slowed down.

Turned off by Hollywood? Don’t know?

18 months ago we stopped going altogether.

I was really looking forward to Top Gun this summer.

With Covid that all changed.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I haven't been to the movies in while, now that the Actors have all made their lunacy known, it's impossible to see them on the big screen without their personal lunacy over shadowing their "Acting"
Last edited by crazy2medic on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 am I haven't been to the movies in along while, now that the Actors have all made their lunacy know it's impossible to see them on the big screen without their personal lunacy over shadowing their "Acting"
I think I know what you were trying to say. Maybe have a cup of coffee now. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”