Survival Prepping

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 8

Survival Prepping

Post by Crash »

I've been thinking about this subject for some time, but it's time I get off my lazy backside and do something about it. So, any recommendations on the following subjects will be most appreciated:

1. Generators or other devices to provide electrical power in an emergency situation. I think I would prefer a generator that uses natural gas or propane as a fuel, but I'm open to recommendations for gasoline-powered ones. Solar power? Living in Texas, we have lots of sunshine, so why not use it?
2. Freeze-dried or other long-shelf-life foods
3. Medical supplies beyond the normal ones in a First Aid kit
4. Water is not much of a concern for me, since I lived in Saudi Arabia for 13 years and spent a lot of time in the desert, so I have a pretty good idea of how much we will need. Would appreciate some suggestions as to the best way to purify water if we have to go to a "dirty" water supply.
5 We have an adequate supply of "protective devices" and their "fuel," and we know how to use them, so I think we're OK in that department
6. Our house has a natural gas heating system, but I wonder if, in an emergency, the gas would stop flowing. Our fireplace is fueled by natural gas as well and could not easily or economically be converted to wood-burning. Our stove is also fueled by natural gas, but I guess we could start doing all our cooking on the outdoor propane-fueled grill and I could build a fire pit in our back yard and line it with bricks.
7. What is a reasonable estimate for how long a social upheaval could last? We can resupply our prescription meds only once every 3 months and, while not all of them are critical to our health, some are.
8. We live in a small, gated community so,if we see something coming, I believe most of us would band together to help each other. However, it's a 55+ community, so I don't know how some of the older folks would fare (some of them are their late 80s and early 90s). Plus, there are more than a few of them who do not believe a "social upheaval" or other type of TEOTWAWKI situation could happen.

Given our experience with desert camping/survival, if anyone would like to discuss that subject, I'd be happy to communicate with them.

I've probably left a number of things out, so any recommendations on any other survival concerns will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Crash

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Survival Prepping

Post by Tex1961 »

I can’t help a lot, but you should look at a dual fuel generator. Propane and gasoline. You can never go wrong with solar. I would definitely look into converting your fireplace into wood burning if you can.

teraph

Post by teraph »

For food, I tend to prefer the Mountain House brand for individual meals. But if you want to stack it deep, there are a lot of places (including Costco and Sams Club) that occasionally advertise 6mo plus packages of #10 tin cans.
This We'll Defend

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Any gas generator can be converted to natural gas very easily. Do a quick search on YouTube there are many videos with kits and diy.

I have a gas line at my built in grill on my patio that I use. I ran mine for 3 weeks after Ike until we got power back.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Watch the movie “the Road”. Kinda hard as pretty serious stuff.
Book was better.

Deals with problems you have after the first six months.

Social destruction is my biggest concern after my worries about longer than 6 months.

Those roving bands of armed social misfits preying on those who are left.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Most natural gas appliances can be converted to propane. I know for cook stoves, it is a simple matter of adjusting the flow arbors. You can install a t-connection, with a propane line connector, and simply switch over if the gas stops flowing. There are also economical, wood burning, free standing, stoves, that would require an exhaust vent installed through an exterior wall. They do a great job of heating. Depending on how your gas appliances are exhausted, a y connector, with a damper, may allow you to use them, without having to cut additional holes. Either way, stock up on propane/firewood. Generators are fine, for short term use, I would not recommend depending on them 24/7. For one thing they make noise, which could draw unwanted visitors, to "share" your well lighted home.
You will also have to consider, your toilets, and bathing when determining how much water you will need.

There are several brands, of long term storage foods, available, and it just a matter of personal tastes. Dried beans, rice, canned goods are also good for long term storage, but growing your own food may be something you want to consider. potatoes, can be grown in a 55 gallon can. many other foods, require minimal space to grow. Learn to can your own fruits and vegetables. Buy extras when you shop, just for canning purposes.

While it may seem like a good idea to sequester yourself and your family, it is better if, in the event of a grid down situation, to have a community of like minded people, who can share resources, and expertise. Hopefully your neighbors and friends are of the same mindset, and you can work together, form communication chains, and each take on certain responsibilities, in the event of a fecal matter contacting the rotating turbine situation. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

We live on acreage, my neighbor to the south has a Trump sign on one of his gates, I'm a Vietnam vet and covering my right flank is an Iraqi vet. It's all good out here.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I suggest that you have alternative means of light and cooking, when your house is the only one with lights on, the two legged predators may just want to see what else you have they can use, at night you might want to go incognito!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

So the pandemic or Covid-19 is not much in the way of social destruction. But look what has already happened all over the country. People are acting crazy.

Now imagine if something really serious happened. People were actually hungry.

I think the county folk would be ok.

I can't imagine how bad it would get in the Cities.

I always thought it would be some sort of Nuke exchange.

Now I'm leaning that it would be just what we have now only worse. Maybe in a year, if things are not better.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

A very good place to get information and knowledge on prepping.
https://survivalblog.com/

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:50 pm A very good place to get information and knowledge on prepping.
https://survivalblog.com/
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

crazy2medic wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:31 pm I suggest that you have alternative means of light and cooking, when your house is the only one with lights on, the two legged predators may just want to see what else you have they can use, at night you might want to go incognito!
Thanks for the suggestion--I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Jusme wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm Most natural gas appliances can be converted to propane. I know for cook stoves, it is a simple matter of adjusting the flow arbors. You can install a t-connection, with a propane line connector, and simply switch over if the gas stops flowing. There are also economical, wood burning, free standing, stoves, that would require an exhaust vent installed through an exterior wall. They do a great job of heating. Depending on how your gas appliances are exhausted, a y connector, with a damper, may allow you to use them, without having to cut additional holes. Either way, stock up on propane/firewood. Generators are fine, for short term use, I would not recommend depending on them 24/7. For one thing they make noise, which could draw unwanted visitors, to "share" your well lighted home.
You will also have to consider, your toilets, and bathing when determining how much water you will need.

There are several brands, of long term storage foods, available, and it just a matter of personal tastes. Dried beans, rice, canned goods are also good for long term storage, but growing your own food may be something you want to consider. potatoes, can be grown in a 55 gallon can. many other foods, require minimal space to grow. Learn to can your own fruits and vegetables. Buy extras when you shop, just for canning purposes.

While it may seem like a good idea to sequester yourself and your family, it is better if, in the event of a grid down situation, to have a community of like minded people, who can share resources, and expertise. Hopefully your neighbors and friends are of the same mindset, and you can work together, form communication chains, and each take on certain responsibilities, in the event of a fecal matter contacting the rotating turbine situation. JMHO
Thanks for your recommendations, I'll look into all of them.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 pm Watch the movie “the Road”. Kinda hard as pretty serious stuff.
Book was better.

Deals with problems you have after the first six months.

Social destruction is my biggest concern after my worries about longer than 6 months.

Those roving bands of armed social misfits preying on those who are left.
I'll see if I can find it on Hulu or some other app of Amazon Fire TV--sounds good.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Nuts wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm Any gas generator can be converted to natural gas very easily. Do a quick search on YouTube there are many videos with kits and diy.

I have a gas line at my built in grill on my patio that I use. I ran mine for 3 weeks after Ike until we got power back.
Roger, I'll search YouTube--usually has lots of info on most anything you want to do.

Crash

Return to “Off-Topic”