National Democratic Party Platform!!

This is the place for discussion specifically addressing state & local elections in Texas.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

National Democratic Party Platform!!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

There is a group of Texas Democrats that have formed the Gun Owners Caucus of the Texas Democratic Party, with Mr. Daniel Barnett serving as Provisional Chairman. This group was formed to bring the Texas Democratic Party in line with traditional Texas values regarding firearms ownership and use. I applaud their efforts.

Attached is a message from Mr. Barnett and the content is both urgent and disturbing. Everyone needs to head his call to action and email the platform committee immediately. As noted in the message, the Platform calls for "renewal" of the assault weapons ban and it also calls for closing the so-called "gun show loophole."

Time is of the essence! We need to help Mr. Barnett's organization change this absurd plank in the National Democratic Party Platform. It would be far better to change the official position of the Democratic Party, than to shrug or shoulders and passively let these anti-rights provisions remain in the Platform. If those efforts fail, we need to work even harder to defeat every Democratic candidate that doesn't have a good voting record on guns, as evidenced by the NRA and TSRA rating for that candidate.

Sadly, this plank in the National Democratic Party Platform confirms what I have been predicting for the 2008 elections and the 2009 Texas Legislative Session. Our enemies are back, they have enough power within the Democratic Party to get this garbage in the Platform, and they will work hard to get their voters to the polls in November.

This is the hour for the Democratic Party to tell us where they stand on the true Second Amendment, not their watered down version. This is the hour for the Democratic Party to show us who runs the Party -- the anti-rights liberals, or those Democrats that share traditional Texas values including the right of self-defense and the tools to exercise that right.

Let's answer Mr. Barnett's call to action and email the Platform Committee and let them know of our displeasure and our resolve to defeat them in November, if the anti-gun provisions are retained.

Chas.

Daniel Barnett wrote:Okay, folks, we're in for a fight. Here's a link to the 8/7 draft of the Democratic platform for 2008:

http://www.workinglife.org/storage/user ... 080808.pdf

As you can see on page 43, the call for a ban on "assault weapons" has been included yet again. I understand that the draft has been revised since 8/7, but as far as I know, the ban has not been removed from the platform.

I encourage everyone to e-mail the Platform Committee at platform@dnc.org and make your feelings known on this matter.

Good luck!

Daniel Barnett
Provisional Chair, Gun Owners Caucus of the Texas Democratic Party
Attachments
2008 Democratic Platform.pdf
(253.24 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Democratic Party Platform!!

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for letting us know about this Chas.

I'll be working on this tonight after work.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

derby

Post by derby »

Hello, everyone!

One small correction to Charles' OP - the Texas Democratic Party 2008 party platform makes no mention of gun-control legislation of any kind. Here's a link to the state platform:

http://txdems.3cdn.net/2a470e898e436c0643_2tm6b9cef.pdf

However, a resolution was passed at the 2008 TDP state convention affirming an individual right to keep and bear arms, which is promising news indeed:

http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDi ... aryId=5982

Thank you for spreading the word about our efforts. The national Democratic platform needs to be purged of any gun bans, and quickly. Good luck to you all!

Daniel Barnett

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks Daniel and sorry for the mistake. :oops: I'll correct the original post.

Chas.
derby wrote:Hello, everyone!

One small correction to Charles' OP - the Texas Democratic Party 2008 party platform makes no mention of gun-control legislation of any kind. Here's a link to the state platform:

http://txdems.3cdn.net/2a470e898e436c0643_2tm6b9cef.pdf

However, a resolution was passed at the 2008 TDP state convention affirming an individual right to keep and bear arms, which is promising news indeed:

http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDi ... aryId=5982

Thank you for spreading the word about our efforts. The national Democratic platform needs to be purged of any gun bans, and quickly. Good luck to you all!

Daniel Barnett

jpierce30

Re: National Democratic Party Platform!!

Post by jpierce30 »

My email was sent!!

Return to “Texas - 2008”