McCain's VP-- Surprise!!!!

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: McCain's VP-- Surprise!!!!

Post by Mike from Texas »

Tactically, it is a very smart move. I at least have more hope now.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Topic author
agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Found more Gov. Palin gun pics. I think she'd fit in here.

Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

Like anyone, she's a mixed bag. On the plus side, she's pro gun and pretty conservative. She's much less experienced than Biden but probably on par with Obama. I think she's a better choice than any of the front runners in the primaries.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I think it's a good choice.

Kay Bailey Hutchison had been mentioned, but she wants to run for Governor. She doesn't want to be either tied down by the VP job or tainted by losing a race.

Palin loses nothing by running, and she gains a lot of recognition and national exposure. She brings solid "true conservative" credentials (both fiscal and social) to the ticket, which is something McCain lacks. (She was seriously discussed as a running mate for Ron Paul.) Her only known negative is the recent scandal involving her sister's divorce.

And despite the finger-pointing about her "lack of experience", the fact remains that she has more experience as a chief executive than Obama, Biden, and McCain combined.

eric

Post by eric »

OH, yeah, If John had to step down for any reason, I would call her. LOL.What a joke.

tbranch

Post by tbranch »

eric wrote:What a joke.
And somehow Obama is better???

Tom

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

aardwolf wrote:Like anyone, she's a mixed bag. On the plus side, she's pro gun and pretty conservative. She's much less experienced than Biden but probably on par with Obama. I think she's a better choice than any of the front runners in the primaries.
She's got 16 years in politics, plus she's been the chief executive of a state. She entered politics in 1992. Obama entered politics 5 years later, in 1997, and still has no executive experience. And he's got a 2002 speech.

While it is true that she doesn't have Joe Biden's 36 years as a Senator (from a state with roughly the the same population as Alaska's, and a 1000th of Alaska's resources), at least she has executive experience - which he doesn't. Joe Biden graduated from law school in 1969, and entered the US Senate 3 years later in 1972. He's been at the government teat pretty much his entire adult life.

It's true that Palin's resume is not as good as say, Romney's, or Huckabees, but she's at least as qualified as either Obama or Biden, if not more so.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

Nicely summarized, Mr. The Annoyed Man. ;-)

I'm excited about the convention. I wasn't yesterday.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

bdickens wrote:"rlol"

Can I be Secretary of State?
I wanna be Secretary of the Interior.

That's gotta be good for free admission to the National Parks...and I could get a gov't plane to travel to them on...and free topo maps...heck, that's almost too honest; I'd spend more time in and pay more attention to the parks than any Secretary so far.

camjr

Post by camjr »

KD5NRH wrote:
bdickens wrote:"rlol"

Can I be Secretary of State?
I wanna be Secretary of the Interior.

That's gotta be good for free admission to the National Parks...and I could get a gov't plane to travel to them on...and free topo maps...heck, that's almost too honest; I'd spend more time in and pay more attention to the parks than any Secretary so far.
Good! You can be the one to lift the firearm ban. Until then, you and you alone would be safe because you would have an armed security detail, much like the hipocrtical big city pols in Chicago that either have a security detail, or are allowed to carry when everyone else is refused the ability to protect themselves.

I've been touting Gov. Palin around my office for a month now. When I heard the news yesterday, I was downright giddy. I think she is the breath of fresh air the GOP needed.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Skiprr »

From the NRA-ILA, posted on its Website yesterday, August 29:
Even before this week, the difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was clear. For one, McCain joined more than 300 other members of Congress in signing a "friend of the court" brief, in District of Columbia v. Heller, urging the Supreme Court to rule in favor of the Second Amendment and against D.C.'s handgun ban.

Obama refused to sign the Heller brief, and supports reinstituting the Clinton gun and magazine ban. He also supports Ted Kennedy's bill to ban semi-automatic handguns in the guise of "micro-stamping," and supports banning inexpensive handguns as "junk guns."

But now that each candidate has chosen his running mate, the difference is even clearer than before. And when it comes to guns, the two prospective vice-presidents are as far apart as the states from which they hail.

Sen. McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is a NRA Life Member and hunter who says, "I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth," adding "I have always strongly supported the personal use of fish and game by Alaskans. I grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska, and I am proud to raise my children with this same uniquely Alaskan heritage."

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox says "Governor Palin doesn't just talk about supporting the Second Amendment, it's part of her life, and she did her part to vindicate the Second Amendment for all Americans when Alaska joined 30 other states in signing a legal brief supporting Heller's challenge to the D.C. gun-ban."

As for Joe Biden, from Delaware, the Brady Campaign sums it up in a straightforward enough fashion, saying, "Senator Biden has been a consistent supporter of the Brady Campaign," and "Senator Biden was a key player in the fight for the federal assault weapons ban that passed in 1994. He also worked hard for passage of the Brady Law (sic)."

In fact, Biden introduced an "assault weapons" ban in Congress five years before the Clinton gun and magazine ban was imposed. In 1989, Biden's Senate Bill 1970 proposed to ban the Colt AR-15 and eight similar firearms as "assault weapons," and authorize the Secretary of the Treasury (in reality, BATF) and the Attorney General to recommend to Congress any other firearms, regardless of type, to be banned as "additional assault weapons."

As lead sponsor of the Senate crime bill to which the Feinstein gun ban amendment was attached, Biden was instrumental in the passage of the 1994 Clinton gun and magazine ban. Biden reiterated his support for the ban—and, in fact, took credit for authoring it—in response to a question at the CNN/YouTube debate earlier this year [I've inserted the video clip below].

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nkavwuWE5eQ[/youtube]

Biden voted for the ban on a stand-alone vote in 1993, and voted to extend the ban in 2004 as an amendment to the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act." He also included a renewal of the ban in his crime bill last year, along with gun show restrictions.

Currently, Biden's S. 2237 proposes to renew the Clinton ban on roughly 200 makes and models of semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and handguns on the basis of things like the shape of their grips, and on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, regardless of the kind of firearm in which they are used.

As if that's not enough, Biden voted against the law that prohibits lawsuits designed to bankrupt law-abiding firearm manufacturers and dealers. He also refused to sign the Congressional brief in Heller, and voted to confirm only one of the five justices who ruled in favor of the Second Amendment in Heller, yet he voted to confirm all four justices who voted against the Second Amendment in that case.

To put it simply, Gov. Sarah Palin would be one of the most pro-gun vice-presidents in American history, and Joe Biden would definitely be the most anti-gun.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

OMG!!!
Its Gidget!!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Nicolai

Post by Nicolai »

More on the VP debate: Newt Gingrich on FoxNews this AM (Sat., 30 Aug) said he was afraid that Biden would get some sympathy votes 'cause Sarah Palin would destroy him in a debate. Gonna be interesting.

amber

Post by amber »

Her husband is hot!

phoneguy

Post by phoneguy »

agbullet2k1 wrote:Found more Gov. Palin gun pics. I think she'd fit in here.

She's got my vote,

Rock solid conservative, supports offshore and ANWR drilling, pro 2nd Ammendment and RKBA, and smokin' hot, but bad form on the finger inside the trigger guard.

Return to “Federal - 2008”