Ron Paul officially drops out of the race

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dukesean
Posts in topic: 2

Ron Paul officially drops out of the race

Post by dukesean »

Well, Ron Paul officially dropped out of the race for President. Not that this wasn't expected, but I'm glad he finished out all the primaries, to get his message across to as many people as possible.

It is unfortunate that he ultimately lost, but I think his message resonates with a lot of people, especially Republicans who are alarmed at the direction their party is heading. At least for me, it was nice to feel so gung-ho about a particular candidate, even if it was just for a little while. Anyways, here's to hoping much of his ideals get worked back into his party.

Time to bring the barf bag with me to the polls in November.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Ron Paul officially drops out of the race

Post by KBCraig »

Just to be hyper-technical, he didn't drop out; he "suspended his race", just like Romney. This means he retains his delegates, who will vote for him at the convention in September.

Meanwhile, go sign up:

http://www.campaignforliberty.com

thejtrain
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thejtrain »

I was hoping he'd stay active through the convention, in order to have a chance at a big speech there as well.
dukesean wrote:It is unfortunate that he ultimately lost, but I think his message resonates with a lot of people, especially Republicans who are alarmed at the direction their party is heading.
This is exactly how I feel/felt about Rep. Paul. However, my uber-GOP friend (who is the mix of strong-defense, social-conservative, small-government-leaning - but in that order - that is the bread and butter of the GOP) is very active in Republican politics and he maintains & insists, no matter what I say, that the huge following that Paul was able to attract was made up of 95% single-issue folks who were anti-Iraq War (he repeatedly calls them head-in-the-sand-isolationists), and only 5% were the vastly-limited-government-this-is-what-the-GOP-should-be-about types like myself and my dad. All I can really tell him is my own anecdotal experience that says, "of the websites I frequent, I see very few of the single-issue antiwar folks behind Ron Paul, and almost exclusively the principled-limited-government folks like me". But it's hard to call him wrong 'cause I know he's much more deeply involved and much more well-connected than I am.
5 Feb 2008 - completed online application
1 March 2008 - completed CHL course
5 March 2008 - package delivery @ DPS
28 March 2008 - Day 23, "Processing Application"
12 June 2008 - Day 99, "Application Completed" :thumbs2:
20 June 2008 - Day 107, plastic in hand :txflag:

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

thejtrain wrote:However, my uber-GOP friend (who is the mix of strong-defense, social-conservative, small-government-leaning - but in that order - that is the bread and butter of the GOP) is very active in Republican politics and he maintains & insists, no matter what I say, that the huge following that Paul was able to attract was made up of 95% single-issue folks who were anti-Iraq War (he repeatedly calls them head-in-the-sand-isolationists), and only 5% were the vastly-limited-government-this-is-what-the-GOP-should-be-about types like myself and my dad. All I can really tell him is my own anecdotal experience that says, "of the websites I frequent, I see very few of the single-issue antiwar folks behind Ron Paul, and almost exclusively the principled-limited-government folks like me". But it's hard to call him wrong 'cause I know he's much more deeply involved and much more well-connected than I am.
So he's a head-in-the-Republican-Party isolationist who can't see the Republicans for the trees.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

thejtrain wrote:However, my uber-GOP friend ... maintains & insists, no matter what I say, that the huge following that Paul was able to attract was made up of 95% single-issue folks who were anti-Iraq War (he repeatedly calls them head-in-the-sand-isolationists),...
I personally don't know anyone who supported Dr. Paul specifically because he is opposed to U.S. intervention in Iraq. I know some who support him in spite of disagreeing on that issue.

The peaceniks or whatever you want to call them were more likely to support someone like Dennis Kucinich or Mike Gravel.

It's worth noting that Rep. Paul got 70-80 % of the vote in the last two primaries and 60% in the general election, when he had a Democratic opponent. That fraction of the Texas population was not voting for him on the war issue.

- Jim

Topic author
dukesean

Post by dukesean »

seamusTX wrote:I personally don't know anyone who supported Dr. Paul specifically because he is opposed to U.S. intervention in Iraq. I know some who support him in spite of disagreeing on that issue.

The peaceniks or whatever you want to call them were more likely to support someone like Dennis Kucinich or Mike Gravel.

It's worth noting that Rep. Paul got 70-80 % of the vote in the last two primaries and 60% in the general election, when he had a Democratic opponent. That fraction of the Texas population was not voting for him on the war issue.

- Jim
Exactly, I supported Ron Paul in spite of his stance on Iraq. It actually took a lot of internal thought before I decided to throw my support his direction.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

drw

Post by drw »

dukesean wrote:Exactly, I supported Ron Paul in spite of his stance on Iraq. It actually took a lot of internal thought before I decided to throw my support his direction.
Same here, and I know many people who were in the same camp. I first learned of Ron Paul because of his position on returning our monetary system back to a constitutional system, and destroying the federal [sic] reserve. As I read more about Ron Paul, I realized he stands for everything that I stand for (which basically comes down to the constitution). As for the Iraq war, Ron Paul educated me and changed my views on our nation's foreign policy, especially regarding the CIA interventions that began many decades ago.

When I imagined myself in the shoes of other countries and asked myself whether I would like another country intervening in our own affairs, I realized that we weren't following the golden rule as a nation.

I have met MANY people who support Ron Paul on every single one of his issues, EXCEPT for the Iraq war, and therefore wouldn't support him. I believe and hope that, outside of the war issue, his platform is agreed to by the majority of conservatives.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Love the pic, Double J. Thanks.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

DoubleJ wrote:Image
Goodness. The Constitution sure did throw a nice couplet of unifocal PVCs before it straightlined.

Better break out the epinephrine and lidocaine.

Give it 360 joules.

CLEAR!!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Federal - 2008”