Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


gtolbert09
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby gtolbert09 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 am

Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks
USAF 1983-1994
NRA Member
TSRA Member


loktite
Senior Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby loktite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am

Very nice! A lever gun is next on my long gun wish list. It *WAS* in front of the AR-7, but when Atwoods had the Henry AR-7 on sale for $199 for Black Friday, AND a $40 Atwoods gift card if you spend over $200, I couldn't resist "pulling the trigger" (added bag of candy to break $200 :mrgreen: .) Well done, TAM :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22137
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby The Annoyed Man » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 pm

gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Lynyrd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm drooling all over my shirt! :cheers2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 1839
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.


I've been wanting a Henry lever action for several years. If I hadn't recently purchased the Ruger 10/22 Takedown I'd be getting this one. Oh, well..added it to my "Wish List" at Grab A Gun who has it for $338. http://grabagun.com/henry-lever-action-22lr-20-oct-bbl.html
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness. - Robert Heinlein (The Puppet Masters.)


gtolbert09
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby gtolbert09 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:13 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.


Thank you for the clear explanation. I always enjoy your posts!!
USAF 1983-1994
NRA Member
TSRA Member

User avatar

rbwhatever1
Senior Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Paradise Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby rbwhatever1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 am

Nice rifle! My grandsons are about the same age as yours at 2 years and a crawling wall walker at 8 months. They both have brand new Savage youth single shot 22's waiting for them in the gun room. From there I will move them into lever action Henry's. I've never owned a Henry but I have a Winchester in .357 and Browning in .22 and those lever guns are fun rifles.

My dad always has a few Henry 22's on the shelf and they're very tempting. One can never have enough 22's!
III

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts: 1074
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Middle Age Russ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Welcome to the lever .22 world, TAM!! The Henry seems like a nice little rifle. I wanted a straight grip, octagon shortish barrel lever .22 a few years back and was lucky enough to find a 1970 Marlin Century Limited edition Model 39, which I thoroughly enjoy shooting.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

User avatar

Lena
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:51 pm
Location: Cash Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Lena » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 am

Some years back I traded a leather chair for a lever action, I had the choice of 2 a Henry and Marlin I took both for a few days and shot them, a very definite difference with the Marlin shooting better, looks I liked the Henry better, the marlin is an original 39A no safety full length.
I really like lever guns but not only a few of mine seem to see daylight often sadly.
The best shooting 30-30 I ever shot was a Rem 788 bolt gun another story entirely there, I had a friend that made a 30-30 Ackley that was very impressive also, a real tack driver with good numbers.
Stay Safe


JRG
Senior Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Mesquite, TX

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby JRG » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe

You are in trouble.

Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-carbine/?

Image

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

Image

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.


Oh my goodness!! I absolutely love the octagonal carbine look!! Dang it, you guys are so good at spending others money!!

Joe


rentz
Senior Member
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 am
Location: DFW

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby rentz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Nice, I've been wanting a Henry for a while but was never able to decide on the .22lr or the .357


Wtxchooter
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Wtxchooter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!
STOP, OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 4651
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby puma guy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe

You are in trouble.

Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-carbine/?

Image

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

Image

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.

I don't hate those guys, but now I envy TAM. I just missed a NIB unfired JM stamped (made before Remington) Marlin 336BL 30-30 for an amazing price! The guy had replaced the laminate stock with a Walnut and had ordered a regular lever and was including them in the sale. :banghead: :banghead: I didn't really need one, but I wanted one. Marlinitis is a curse! As TAM said to me, I will now have to attend a 12 step meeting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Jusme » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Wtxchooter wrote:Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!



I feel the same way about them, after my experience in getting my son's Eagle Scout edition, a new Henry is definitely in my future.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


ml1209
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby ml1209 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Nice! I love the octagon barrels.


Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests