Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

gtolbert09
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby gtolbert09 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 am

Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks
USAF 1983-1994
NRA Member
TSRA Member


loktite
Senior Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby loktite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am

Very nice! A lever gun is next on my long gun wish list. It *WAS* in front of the AR-7, but when Atwoods had the Henry AR-7 on sale for $199 for Black Friday, AND a $40 Atwoods gift card if you spend over $200, I couldn't resist "pulling the trigger" (added bag of candy to break $200 :mrgreen: .) Well done, TAM :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22672
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby The Annoyed Man » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 pm

gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Lynyrd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm drooling all over my shirt! :cheers2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2457
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.


I've been wanting a Henry lever action for several years. If I hadn't recently purchased the Ruger 10/22 Takedown I'd be getting this one. Oh, well..added it to my "Wish List" at Grab A Gun who has it for $338. http://grabagun.com/henry-lever-action-22lr-20-oct-bbl.html
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

User avatar

gtolbert09
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby gtolbert09 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:13 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gtolbert09 wrote:Quick question? why did you choose the .22LR vs the .22WMR? Just personal preference? Price? Ammo Availability?

Just Curious, Thanks

Well, a couple of reasons, I guess....... One is that I have a couple thousand rounds of .22 LR on hand, but no .22 WMR, and I don't really have a desire to add another rimfire caliber rifle that is caliber exclusive. I'm a lefty, and when I was looking at rifles yesterday before buying this Henry, I looked at a left handed Savage bolt rifle for rimfires, and decided against it because it was chambered in .17 HMR; and so far as I know, it is not safe to fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber. Another reason is ease of availability. A third reason was that this Henry rifle will also shoot .22 Short and .22 Long, and I was thinking of my grandkids, and about when they get old enough to start learning to shoot (my granddaughter is 2-1/2 right now, and my grandson is 9 months old). I wanted to be able to start them off on something really soft shooting first.

I can see the utility of the .22 magnum cartridge, but I don't care enough about it to buy a gun dedicated to that caliber. For instance, I think the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is an interesting pistol, and so is the "matching" CMR-30 carbine, but I don't care enough about either one to get one, in part because they use .22 magnum. If I need to go up in the power continuum, I already have a 9mm carbine which is easy to shoot, and which not only shares caliber with my Glock pistols, but will accept my Glock pistols' magazines.

I very recently also bought a .30-30 Marlin (a decent shooter, but an otherwise kind of disappointing rifle). That added a new caliber to my inventory, but I plan to buy another .30-30 down the road, so I'm good with that......plus I can easily reload for it. Not so much a .22 WMR.


Thank you for the clear explanation. I always enjoy your posts!!
USAF 1983-1994
NRA Member
TSRA Member

User avatar

rbwhatever1
Senior Member
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Paradise Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby rbwhatever1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 am

Nice rifle! My grandsons are about the same age as yours at 2 years and a crawling wall walker at 8 months. They both have brand new Savage youth single shot 22's waiting for them in the gun room. From there I will move them into lever action Henry's. I've never owned a Henry but I have a Winchester in .357 and Browning in .22 and those lever guns are fun rifles.

My dad always has a few Henry 22's on the shelf and they're very tempting. One can never have enough 22's!
III

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Middle Age Russ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Welcome to the lever .22 world, TAM!! The Henry seems like a nice little rifle. I wanted a straight grip, octagon shortish barrel lever .22 a few years back and was lucky enough to find a 1970 Marlin Century Limited edition Model 39, which I thoroughly enjoy shooting.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

User avatar

Lena
Senior Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:51 pm
Location: Cash Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Lena » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 am

Some years back I traded a leather chair for a lever action, I had the choice of 2 a Henry and Marlin I took both for a few days and shot them, a very definite difference with the Marlin shooting better, looks I liked the Henry better, the marlin is an original 39A no safety full length.
I really like lever guns but not only a few of mine seem to see daylight often sadly.
The best shooting 30-30 I ever shot was a Rem 788 bolt gun another story entirely there, I had a friend that made a 30-30 Ackley that was very impressive also, a real tack driver with good numbers.
Stay Safe


JRG
Senior Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Mesquite, TX

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby JRG » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe

You are in trouble.

Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-carbine/?

Image

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

Image

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.


Oh my goodness!! I absolutely love the octagonal carbine look!! Dang it, you guys are so good at spending others money!!

Joe


rentz
Senior Member
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 am
Location: DFW

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby rentz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Nice, I've been wanting a Henry for a while but was never able to decide on the .22lr or the .357


Wtxchooter
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Wtxchooter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!
STOP, OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 4940
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby puma guy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Skiprr wrote:
WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe

You are in trouble.

Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-carbine/?

Image

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

Image

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.

I don't hate those guys, but now I envy TAM. I just missed a NIB unfired JM stamped (made before Remington) Marlin 336BL 30-30 for an amazing price! The guy had replaced the laminate stock with a Walnut and had ordered a regular lever and was including them in the sale. :banghead: :banghead: I didn't really need one, but I wanted one. Marlinitis is a curse! As TAM said to me, I will now have to attend a 12 step meeting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3781
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby Jusme » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Wtxchooter wrote:Received my first Henry for Christmas, round barrel, blued 30-30. Beautiful weapon, which I began hunting with immediately. Took a bad fall New Years eve, going up a rough spot I new better than to attempt and put a nasty gouge in the stock. I wasn't worried about it, as its a tool, and scratches are part of the weapons history and character. Emailed Henry to ask for a recommendation for a peep sight, and made mention of the fall and damage. They replied the next day with a recommendation for a sight, and would I send them my serial number for my rifle so they could send me a new stock, free of charge!!! I have heard about their customer service being great, but this blew me away. I love my rifle, love it's accuracy, love that it's made in the USA, "or not made at all", and I am blown away by the service they provide. Great company, and they will get more of my money!



I feel the same way about them, after my experience in getting my son's Eagle Scout edition, a new Henry is definitely in my future.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


ml1209
Senior Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Postby ml1209 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Nice! I love the octagon barrels.


Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests