Time Lapse of AR15 Lower Assembly

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chlag01
Posts in topic: 4

Time Lapse of AR15 Lower Assembly

Post by chlag01 »

I've posted a time lapse of my first AR15 assembly on youtube. Nothing too cool other than the time lapse is kinda neat:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]
CHL since 08/31/2011
XDm Compact 3.8" 9mm in Comp-Tac MTAC holster
TSRA Member

Topic author
chlag01

Re: Time Lapse of AR15 Lower Assembly

Post by chlag01 »

I carefully selected the least valuable book I could find in my library, just for this task.
CHL since 08/31/2011
TSRA Member

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 1

Post by glbedd53 »

I have two ARs but that makes me want to put one together. Why was the upper assy. already assembled, are they usually?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TxLobo wrote::thumbs2: Best use for a Front Page 2000 instruction book I've ever seen.. LOL
That's funny. :mrgreen: I had the same thought at almost exactly the same time in the other thread where this video is posted: viewtopic.php?p=628750#p628750
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

chlag01 wrote:I've posted a time lapse of my first AR15 assembly on youtube. Nothing too cool other than the time lapse is kinda neat:
Great work there! Not sure if you did this, but masking tape over punch holes when you're working does wonders for preventing scratches.

For those of you thinking about building an AR, I cannot recommend strongly enough this book The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide by Glen Zediker. It's not just for competitive ARs either, as he covers the range of build options. He goes into nice detail about the ins and outs as well as "lessons learned" (i.e., mistakes he's made). What I really like are the massive number of _large_ detailed photos and the fact that the book is spiral bound. He'll answer direct email too if you have questions!
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
chlag01

Post by chlag01 »

glbedd53 wrote:I have two ARs but that makes me want to put one together. Why was the upper assy. already assembled, are they usually?
Mainly cost and build complexity. The lower is pretty easy to put together without any special tools, and buying a stripped lower and a parts kit is cheaper than buying an assembled lower. The upper requires proper torquing, precise alignment, and probably some tools I don't already own. I haven't priced out building the upper myself, but I don't know that I have the skills or tools to do it either.

For this build, everything came from Palmetto State Armory except the stripped lower. Total cost was about $715 including shipping and FFL transfer fee on the stripped lower. If can be done for less, but I 'upgraded' to MOE furniture and a hammer forged barrel. For a just a little more and if you can find it in stock, you could buy a complete, quality Spikes Tactical 5.56/.223 rifle, but you wouldn't have as much fun putting it together and you wouldn't get some of the little upgrades.

When I do it again, I may spend a little more money and get a Bravo Company upper.
CHL since 08/31/2011
TSRA Member

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

chlag01 wrote:
glbedd53 wrote:I have two ARs but that makes me want to put one together. Why was the upper assy. already assembled, are they usually?
Mainly cost and build complexity. The lower is pretty easy to put together without any special tools, and buying a stripped lower and a parts kit is cheaper than buying an assembled lower. The upper requires proper torquing, precise alignment, and probably some tools I don't already own. I haven't priced out building the upper myself, but I don't know that I have the skills or tools to do it either.

For this build, everything came from Palmetto State Armory except the stripped lower. Total cost was about $715 including shipping and FFL transfer fee on the stripped lower. If can be done for less, but I 'upgraded' to MOE furniture and a hammer forged barrel. For a just a little more and if you can find it in stock, you could buy a complete, quality Spikes Tactical 5.56/.223 rifle, but you wouldn't have as much fun putting it together and you wouldn't get some of the little upgrades.

When I do it again, I may spend a little more money and get a Bravo Company upper.
Building an upper is about as easy as building the lower. There are things that have to be aligned and a reciever block is required but the only tool you have to have is an armorer"s wrench. The cost of building an upper is not nearly as economical as building a lower. You can save $100+ easy building a lower but maybe only a few bucks building an upper. I like to build the entire gun though so it is just how I want it.

rentz

Post by rentz »

i just finished building my first lower before I saw this video, the use of the vise grips would have made the bolt catch install much much easier

Topic author
chlag01

Post by chlag01 »

rentz wrote:i just finished building my first lower before I saw this video, the use of the vise grips would have made the bolt catch install much much easier
Alternative vice grips method was found on 2nd post here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782 ... ions_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It really helped.
CHL since 08/31/2011
TSRA Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”