New Deer and Long-Range Rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Deer and Long-Range Rifle

Post by Ruark »

FWIW, I've taken a bunch of deer with a .243. I use 85 gr. BTHP, which are cruising along at about 3100 fps at 100 yds, and a high neck shot (about an inch below the jaw line). Makes a nice softball-sized exit hole, and the deer is lights-out before it hits the ground (we call it a "bang-flop"). It's all a matter of hitting your target.
-Ruark

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

i have a bolt action savage axis 308 its simple, tough and has performed very well, only thing is i wish magazine held more than 4 rounds
have not shot out past 200 yards,
i also have another 308 semi auto rifle and it to is great BUT HEAVY and really requires great bi pod placement to reach out.

but for marching the woods and water...i take the savage it has composite stock as well

https://www.academy.com/p/savage-axis-x ... -117414733
i paid lots less a few years ago and it came with a nice scope, case and stuff
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

powerboatr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:18 pm i have a bolt action savage axis 308 its simple, tough and has performed very well, only thing is i wish magazine held more than 4 rounds
i also have another 308 semi auto rifle and it to is great BUT HEAVY and really requires great bi pod placement to reach out.

but for marching the woods and water...i take the savage it has composite stock as well

My son-in-law bought one a couple of years ago in .308 with the scope deal. I think it was $100 cheaper than your Academy link. The only problem he had was the scope fell off when he was sighting it in. He had it dialed in and I told him to let it cool down like he was hunting and the round wasn't on the paper. ????? He shot agian and same thing that's when we noticed the the front ring was broken. He took it in and the replaced the scope and rings and it's a shooter again. He also shoots a vintage Remington 742 .308 I gave him when he started deer hunting with us 4 years ago. It's topped with Bausch and Lomb Elite 3-9X40
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

puma guy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:41 pm
powerboatr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:18 pm i have a bolt action savage axis 308 its simple, tough and has performed very well, only thing is i wish magazine held more than 4 rounds

My son-in-law bought one a couple of years ago in .308 with the scope deal. I think it was $100 cheaper than your Academy link. The only problem he had was the scope fell off when he was sighting it in. He had it dialed in and I told him to let it cool down like he was hunting and the round wasn't on the paper. ????? He shot agian and same thing that's when we noticed the the front ring was broken. He took it in and the replaced the scope and rings and it's a shooter again. He also shoots a vintage Remington 742 .308 I gave him when he started deer hunting with us 4 years ago. It's topped with Bausch and Lomb Elite 3-9X40
yes mine was less money than the current ad
my scope was replaced at purchase as it looked like a store worker had banged it up on a safe wall.
we have had really good service out of it. i know the scope is not the BEST in the world and i have a really nice on the other rifle
but its my rough and tumble rifle :thumbs2:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

6.5 Creedmoor is easy to find now, just stock up on ammo. I shot a white tail at 160 yards with a 6.5 Czm, it ran about 20 yards. I’ve also shot the 6.5 CM at 1000 (Along with 6mmARC and 6.5 PRC).

I’d go with 6.5 CM but I also hand load everything I shoot (except rimfire).

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”