If Not a Bolt Action, Which Is Better, Straight Pull Bolt, Lever or Pump?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

If Not a Bolt Action, Which Is Better, Straight Pull Bolt, Lever or Pump?

Post by Crash »

Because of problems with my right shoulder and wrist, I have trouble working the bolt on a traditional up-back-forward-down type of bolt. And since I don't care for semi-autos, which is easier to use, more reliable, and more easily maintainable, a straight pull bolt action, a lever-action, or a pump-action?

Thanks for any recommendations,

Crash

puma guy

Re: If Not a Bolt Action, Which Is Better, Straight Pull Bolt, Lever or Pump?

Post by puma guy »

Crash wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:00 pm Because of problems with my right shoulder and wrist, I have trouble working the bolt on a traditional up-back-forward-down type of bolt. And since I don't care for semi-autos, which is easier to use, more reliable, and more easily maintainable, a straight pull bolt action, a lever-action, or a pump-action?

Crash
A good choice might be a pump which doesn't require any right arm effort, since the slide is operated with the left hand for right handed shooters. The choice for center fire pump action rifles is somewhat limited, though, with the Remington 760/7600 series rifles probably being the most obvious choice for availability. The 760 production ended in 1981 and the 7600 which took its place ended I assume when Remington went bankrupt. In any case neither are available new any longer, but are commonly for sale. There are also some vintage pump/ slide actions available, ie Rem 14 and 141. For newly made Henry currently has pump action rifles available. The Remingtons, though offer a much wider choice of calibers from which to choose. Those are the only ones I am familiar with, but someone may know of others. A lever gun may be a good choice as well, again caliber choices are more limited. I suggest going to a good gun store with used firearms or a gun show and try the different actions.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

Crash wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:00 pm Because of problems with my right shoulder and wrist, I have trouble working the bolt on a traditional up-back-forward-down type of bolt. And since I don't care for semi-autos, which is easier to use, more reliable, and more easily maintainable, a straight pull bolt action, a lever-action, or a pump-action?

Crash
What caliber are you looking for? There are definitely some very reliable semi auto rifles, the US military has been using semi automatic rifles for nearly 80 +/- years.

If you really just don't like them, I'd probably go lever.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Crash
One additional option is a single shot rifle. IF you don't anticipate needing multiple rounds fired quickly.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

What was the chrome lever action rifle that Jeremy Renner used in the movie Wind River.

That rifle looked very cool. Made his victims blow back five feet with each hit.

Not often you can go to a liberal sensitive Native American sad story movie about Native American women disappearing on the reservation in modern America, and get to see some awesome gun play where you shout out “ oh yeah” and embarrass your liberal friends who took you.

JDstar

Post by JDstar »

Love a pump action rifle.. but as mentioned above the Remington was the most common and it's been out of circulation for awhile. The lack of choice here is a serious consideration. I traded a Rem 270 7600 decades ago, but it was a fantastic rifle.

Levers are always fun and my 44 mag and 454 casull see action every year for close in work. The limitation here is the caliber you might be considering because the rifles tend to use ammo with blunt nose bullets due to the tube feed magazine. The bullet shape can impact the aerodynamics of the round down range unless you opt for one of the levers fed from a box magazine like the Browning BLR. (the Browning is REALLY nice!) If you are sticking to 200 yds or less there are many fine choices in levers, but true long range work is limited to levers with box mags and calibers designed for that task, and those can be expensive even when you find them.

The straight pull has been on many European imports in the past, but the newer Savage Impulse really impressed me when I tried one on a hunt last year. Slick, fast follow up shots. Smooth action and quicker than a traditional bolt. Easier than lever to keep on target when loading another round as well. A lot to like in that setup and the choice of some of the newer calibers is something you won't find in the older pumps at all and in few levers. This one would be under serious consideration for me.

Big question is what calibers are you considering? That would seem to dictate the style of rifle you'll need. For long range work the straight pull offers the best choices. I find myself limited by nearsightedness that keeps me less than 150 yds from my target. For this any of the levers in pistol caliber, 30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70, 444, etc would do the job and there are lot of options for that type of setup. But I could see myself considering the Impulse or similar rifle in 6.5 creedmore perhaps...

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:26 pm What was the chrome lever action rifle that Jeremy Renner used in the movie Wind River.

That rifle looked very cool. Made his victims blow back five feet with each hit.

Not often you can go to a liberal sensitive Native American sad story movie about Native American women disappearing on the reservation in modern America, and get to see some awesome gun play where you shout out “ oh yeah” and embarrass your liberal friends who took you.
It's a Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70 Stainless Steel .
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

JDstar wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:16 pm Love a pump action rifle.. but as mentioned above the Remington was the most common and it's been out of circulation for awhile. The lack of choice here is a serious consideration. I traded a Rem 270 7600 decades ago, but it was a fantastic rifle.

Levers are always fun and my 44 mag and 454 casull see action every year for close in work. The limitation here is the caliber you might be considering because the rifles tend to use ammo with blunt nose bullets due to the tube feed magazine. The bullet shape can impact the aerodynamics of the round down range unless you opt for one of the levers fed from a box magazine like the Browning BLR. (the Browning is REALLY nice!) If you are sticking to 200 yds or less there are many fine choices in levers, but true long range work is limited to levers with box mags and calibers designed for that task, and those can be expensive even when you find them.

The straight pull has been on many European imports in the past, but the newer Savage Impulse really impressed me when I tried one on a hunt last year. Slick, fast follow up shots. Smooth action and quicker than a traditional bolt. Easier than lever to keep on target when loading another round as well. A lot to like in that setup and the choice of some of the newer calibers is something you won't find in the older pumps at all and in few levers. This one would be under serious consideration for me.

Big question is what calibers are you considering? That would seem to dictate the style of rifle you'll need. For long range work the straight pull offers the best choices. I find myself limited by nearsightedness that keeps me less than 150 yds from my target. For this any of the levers in pistol caliber, 30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70, 444, etc would do the job and there are lot of options for that type of setup. But I could see myself considering the Impulse or similar rifle in 6.5 creedmore perhaps...
Sorry, should have said this in the OP: I am talking about a center-fire in a caliber appropriate for deer-hunting at reasonable ranges. I've never shot a deer at more than 125 yards and I doubt that I'll ever shoot at one much farther than that, although I would like to have a caliber that's capable out to 300 yards if that was a close as I could get.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

jdstar wrote
The limitation here is the caliber you might be considering because the rifles tend to use ammo with blunt nose bullets due to the tube feed magazine. The bullet shape can impact the aerodynamics of the round down range unless you opt for one of the levers fed from a box magazine like the Browning BLR.
jdstar, can I introduce you to the 21st century?
Hornady has been selling ammo made for lever guns with flex tips for a few years now.
The bullets have a flexible tip so they don't impact the primer of the round in front of them during recoil.
The ballistic tip helps the bullet achieve very good accuracy at long range.
Check it out:
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/leverevolution#!/

(I do not work for Hornady, nor do I have stock in the company. I am, however, really impressed with this ammo.)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crash
Have you considered a semiauto with a more traditional look? I’m thinking of something like a Browning BAR https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... afari.html:
A rifle like that would be a lot softer shooting than a straight full or lever action in the same caliber. That said, if I was looking for something chambered in a more modern cartridge than .30-30 but not a semiauto, I’d take a real hard look at the Henry Long Ranger in either .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”