AR - from scratch

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

AR - from scratch

Post by Kalrog »

I am looking to build up an AR or two (maybe more - probably going in with a friend and getting a 6 pack of lowers). Well, where do I start? What are the differences between the companies? What are things to look for that are considered desirable? Should I go stripped or complete lower? I know that I need a collapsible stock on one of them, but I don't know about the rest. Help!

I know - the standard answer to questions about specifics of the AR platform is to head over to AR15.com and I already did... and I was overwhelmed. Can I get some water wings here and then head there please?

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Re: AR - from scratch

Post by G.A. Heath »

I am planning out an AR build myself right now. First thing to do is sit down and decide what you want this gun to do (In my case a target grade tack driver). Then select the upper assembly that fits the bill for you (In my case I think I will use an A3 upper, no front sight, free float hand guard, and a 24" SS fluted barrel). Now with that done, order the upper you want (Or the parts to build it) and prepare to visit a friend or gun store(s) with lots of ARs in different configurations. Now when visiting and looking over these ARs find the stock and grip you feel most comfortable with (for your intended use) and also look for one with a nice trigger (found out what trigger is in it and then order that trigger or parts kit). Finally when all the parts come in assemble, then inspect, and then, take it out and have fun.

Edit to add: this advice works with stripped or complete lowers, however if you feel uncomfortable assembling a stripped lower then by all means get a complete lower. Assembling a stripped lower is no difficult task and is in my experience the cheaper route (and more fun).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

I just built my first AR 15 lower receiver. I bought a stripped DPMS receiver, DPMS lower parts kit and a Tapco stock from Military Gun Supply. I have an upper on order. Looking at the uppers I decided it was the better part of wisdom to just buy an assembled upper rather than try to put together the parts myself. I decided to build a really basic model so that if I decided it was too difficult I wouldn't be out too much money.

I followed the directions on the AR15 site carefully. While it looks overwhelming if you go through them screen shot by screen shot, it really is pretty easy to follow. Given that whenever I build something, I tend to have to do each step twice because I mess up and then generally have to rebuild the whole thing over again, building the AR 15 lower was one of the easiest things I have ever done. I only had to repeat two steps although when I got done I had a spring left that I figured out had to go in the trigger assembly. So I had to redo the trigger again. :lol: They say it should take you 2 hours to do. I figured it would therefore take me at least 10 hours but it only took me about 4 hours. I think I can do the next one in two hours.

I really had a ball building the lower and plan on building several more, one at least for each of my kids. :clapping: I would really encourage you once you decide on what you want to build to use the instructions on AR15.com. They are really good.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Kalrog wrote:I am looking to build up an AR or two (maybe more - probably going in with a friend and getting a 6 pack of lowers). Well, where do I start?
What do you want to do with the gun? What caliber do you want to shoot? What's your budget?
Kalrog wrote: What are the differences between the companies?
For stripped lowers, not all that much difference. Mainly price and the logo on the side. For other parts there can be big differences in quality.
What are things to look for that are considered desirable? Should I go stripped or complete lower? I know that I need a collapsible stock on one of them, but I don't know about the rest. Help!
Look for things like a bolt that's been magnetic particle tested, shot peened and has a black extractor insert/D-ring. Same with the barrel, make sure it's been MP tested and high-pressure tested. For 5.56mm, 1/7 twist will let you shoot some really heavy bullets that will keyhole out of 1/9 or slower barrels, but it won't be the end of the world if you get a 1/9 barrel. The barrel should also be chrome-lined and have a proper 5.56mm chamber (vs. a .223 chamber). Get a flat-top upper, there's no reason at all to go with an A1 or A2 upper other than nostalgia. A flat-top is much easier to mount optics on. Also get a milspec diameter receiver extension if you get a carbine stock, it'll give you better options if you get an aftermarket stock and the threads on the milspec extension are deeper than on a commercial extension and grab onto the threads on the lower better.

Assembling a stripped lower isn't that difficult. I've done enough of them to where it only takes me 10-15 minutes. :lol: Just get a good punch set, it makes putting in the roll pins a lot easier. Also a lower receiver block and a vise to hold the lower while you're assembling it makes it easier too. Putting together an upper really isn't that much more difficult, except that you'll need to spend the money on an upper receiver block and a barrel wrench.
Kalrog wrote: I know - the standard answer to questions about specifics of the AR platform is to head over to AR15.com and I already did... and I was overwhelmed. Can I get some water wings here and then head there please?
Check out m4carbine.net, I've found the signal/noise ratio is a little better there than AR15.com.

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Thanks for the other website.

I am looking to build at least 2 ARs. The first one will be a .22 upper (and that probably means Spike's Tactical or CA). This is the one that needs a collapsible stock. The other one will probably be standard .223/5.56 although I would like to build a third eventually in something like .44Mag (just because).

Use for both of them is range work mostly. Fun, plinking, not hyper accurate though - MOA is probably better than the shooter can do at this point. Budget for the total gun is negotiable - the higher it goes the longer it takes (hence buying the lowers and building). Figure an inexpensive setup on each - $750 - $1000.

As a clarification - my question about being overwhelmed isn't about actually doing the assembly. It is about what to buy since there are so many options out there.

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I bought this book from http://www.model1sales.com. It's been the best help for me when putting lowers together. I bought already assembled uppers too for simplicity. I could probably put them together myself, but I don't have the proper vice and block you need to torque the barrel nut on correctly.

The AR15 Complete Assembly Guide, by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee $20.00
TacTex
NRA Life Member

KaProw

Post by KaProw »

hehe ... allot of this going around lately

I am in the process of building a couple rifles. I started by buying two sequential numbered stag lowers from gun broker. after I decided what I wanted them to be, I started ordering parts.

I'm doing one in Dark earth and one in OD. So far I've ordered
2 magpul trigger guards
1 magpul Stock
1 magpul Grip kit
2 magpul magazines
1 milspec buffer tube w/ spring and buffer
1 Tapco T6 Stock Kit
1 Tapco saw style grip

roll pin punch set
pivot pin install tool

I also bought one rra lower parts kit and I think I’m going to use a 3 lb Timney single stage drop in for the other.

I was originally thinking of using a stag 2HT upper for the one that is going to be a M4 style carbine, but now I’m interested in the saber defense stuff sold by PK firearms.

this junk adds up fast ..!!
That ain't no earthquake, it's me!

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Here's a great site that has everything you need:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15Sh ... ction.msnw
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I paid a visit to Lubbock today after work, picked up a lower parts kit and an A2 stock, tube, buffer, spacer and spring. When I got out of my pickup at home around 8:10pm I setup my work bench, grabbed my tools, opened the parts kit, and got started. At 8:54 I finished up, and looked at the clock. My first lower took less than an hour to build including setup time. I am somewhat disappointed in the whole process as I expected a real challenge.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

HankB

Post by HankB »

Sounds like everyone is just assembling parts.

This link is a lot closer to what I consider a "scratchbuilt" AR . . . though he still bought an upper: http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove1765/p ... ject6.html
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

am looking to build at least 2 ARs. The first one will be a .22 upper (and that probably means Spike's Tactical or CA). This is the one that needs a collapsible stock. The other one will probably be standard .223/5.56 although I would like to build a third eventually in something like .44Mag (just because).
I know you can buy .22 LR conversion kits to shoot in AR15's , haven't seen any AR15's in 44 mag ever,seen them in .243,6.8 grendel,50 beowulf.
One thing i've discovered is if you buy the assembled upper with parts kit for you lower it is cheaper than buying individual parts and assembling everything from scratch,unles you can't find the upper that fits your needs.I bought a stainless match barrel once then built a gun around it
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

sskimber

Post by sskimber »

I have recently built my first AR. I took it to the range for the first time yesterday. I started with a complete lower purchased used. then added a White oaks armament Upper with a few add-ons. Not the cheapest way, but it shoots so good. :fire

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I got a complete lower at one gun show, saved up some more pennies and got the upper at another. Definitely go with the 5.56mm unless you have a real reason for having one chambered for another round. I figure if you want a .308, buy a rifle designed for that.

My personal opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Byron Dickens

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

HankB wrote:This link is a lot closer to what I consider a "scratchbuilt" AR
Did he mine the metal himself? "rlol"

How strong does the lower have to be? Does it do anything more than hold the buttstock, trigger group and magazine in the right place? Does it it have to be one piece?
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

boomerang wrote:
HankB wrote:This link is a lot closer to what I consider a "scratchbuilt" AR
Did he mine the metal himself? "rlol"

How strong does the lower have to be? Does it do anything more than hold the buttstock, trigger group and magazine in the right place? Does it it have to be one piece?
I'm amazed at the lack of duct tape
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”